Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In this calendar year he has scored 7 goals in 24 games. That’s not good enough for what we want to achieve. I didn’t base this view on yesterday. I like him, he is a key member of the squad but as yet is simply not prolific enough to lead the line week in week out.

The 7 goals is good enough, if hes not playing when he's in a lean patch of form and its clearly not working for him.

7 in 15 would've been good, we have just not had the luxury to consider benching him, in the same way we don't Maty Ryan.

Now with Welbeck, Connolly, hopefully Zeqiri and Maupay we can actually do what Gareth Southgate says he will (but never does) and actually pick the players in form at that moment (with decent cover for injuries).

And for all the naysayers who tried to claim some of us would only be happy if we spunked 20+ million. Im really happy we addressed a fundamental gap in the squad, key to our success, with a quality Free transfer.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In this calendar year he has scored 7 goals in 24 games. That’s not good enough for what we want to achieve. I didn’t base this view on yesterday. I like him, he is a key member of the squad but as yet is simply not prolific enough to lead the line week in week out.

In this season he has scored 4 goals in 5 games. That's definitely good enough for what we want to achieve. I didn't base this view on yesterday. I like him, he is a key member of the squad and so far is simply prolific enough to lead the line week in week out.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
The more I think about this, the more I believe Potter may be exactly the right manager to get the best out of Welbeck.

Ferguson knew how effective he could be in the right system, covering ground and pulling defenders out of position. Perhaps this is how Potter envisages his role.

Interesting to see how this works.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Only 5 players have scored more goals in the Prem than Maupay this season.

At this rate of scoring he’d finish the season with 30 goals ffs. One bad game where he missed two chances doesn’t suddenly mean he should be dropped

He didn't just miss them. He looked like he was lost when the ball came to him, making the wrong decision every time. If he just missed them, not many would be on his case because it happens to everyone. He proved his footballing weaknesses today and not much else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

7 goals in 24 games not good enough for Brighton? Give your head a wobble

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can we make sure that Welbeck and Lallana train on separate days? I really wouldn't want them trying to win a 50/50 ball between the two of them. [emoji849]

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He didn't just miss them. He looked like he was lost when the ball came to him, making the wrong decision every time. If he just missed them, not many would be on his case because it happens to everyone. He proved his footballing weaknesses today and not much else.

Danny Murphy made a similar point on MOTD2 last night about our forwards in general - he said they spend too much time on the edge of the opponent's penalty area passing the ball, or trying to get into a 'perfect' position for a shot, or cueing the ball up, rather than simply taking a shot quickly or even lobbing the ball towards the goal. In fact he said he got really frustrated with our forwards passing the ball around too much on the edge of the penalty area, instead of having a shot (when we might at least get a deflection or force an error from their goalie). Time after time, our 'attacks' simply fizzled out.

The result is that the opponent's defence have time to close our strikers down, drive them away from the penalty area (how often do we end up passing the ball back towards the half-way line, only to repeat the scenario?), and sometimes gain possession to launch a counter attack.

In other words, as many posters on NSC have said (for several seasons), we're simply not quick enough, clinical enough, or opportunist enough, when we have the ball on the edge of their penalty area.

Hence our 'high level of possession' is often not matched by actual shots on target.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Danny Murphy made a similar point on MOTD2 last night about our forwards in general - he said they spend too much time on the edge of the opponent's penalty area passing the ball, or trying to get into a 'perfect' position for a shot, or cueing the ball up, rather than simply taking a shot quickly or even lobbing the ball towards the goal. In fact he said he got really frustrated with our forwards passing the ball around too much on the edge of the penalty area, instead of having a shot (when we might at least get a deflection or force an error from their goalie). Time after time, our 'attacks' simply fizzled out.

The result is that the opponent's defence have time to close our strikers down, drive them away from the penalty area (how often do we end up passing the ball back towards the half-way line, only to repeat the scenario?), and sometimes gain possession to launch a counter attack.

In other words, as many posters on NSC have said (for several seasons), we're simply not quick enough, clinical enough, or opportunist enough, when we have the ball on the edge of their penalty area.

Hence our 'high level of possession' is often not matched by actual shots on target.

100% agree. Yesterday's performance was so frustrating. Shoot, shoot, shoot!

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
There were certainly elements of what I imagine to have been what caused the latter stage Wenger frustration amongst Arsenal fans vs Palace - overplaying around their box instead of pulling the trigger.

But to write NM off on the back of that is nonsense. He’s quality, had a bad day at the office and, as has been mentioned previously, if he was converting at the rate that some appear to be the bare minimum, he wouldn’t be with us.

Anyway, this is a thread about Welbz, the addition of whom is only going to help NM and offer something different/additional to us generally (on pitch, off pitch, outside the club (Welbz is clearly a v well respected pro) etc). 12 month deal is a no brainer.

:goal:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Almost 200 games in the PL for Man Utd and Arsenal, 42 England caps - a 1 year deal costing no fee and for a player of this calibre and quality is an absolute no brainer. His experience and influence will be invaluable and he will chip in with goals, anyone questioning this deal needs their head examined.

Similarly Lallana, 200 odd PL appearances for Southampton and Liverpool, 34 England caps.

We have spent no transfer fee on either of them and if you'd have offered me that before the transfer window i would say you were taking the piss.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Thank goodness for Argie Mac, he should work well with Lallana and Welbeck, and once again another call out for Ali J.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Connolly is the one who is most likely going to have to raise his game to be honest.

Maupay hasn’t been playing centrally until yesterday, Connolly has been filling that role, makes me think it was in readiness to continue in that position when Welbeck comes into the side.

Tross-Wellbeck-Maupay as a front 3

Not sure I agree with that. Maupay has been ‘central’ and a striker all season? Connolly will start some games up top with Maupay but some from the bench, so do agree he and Welbeck will be rotated.

I’d read a few Watford saying what a good guy he was - and that comes across in the interview too. Just what we need around the squad.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was amazed, he should be full of confidence taking shots on first time instead played like he hadn’t scored for yonks. Although he plays much better in a two still no reason for his misses yesterday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almost 200 games in the PL for Man Utd and Arsenal, 42 England caps - a 1 year deal costing no fee and for a player of this calibre and quality is an absolute no brainer. His experience and influence will be invaluable and he will chip in with goals, anyone questioning this deal needs their head examined.

Similarly Lallana, 200 odd PL appearances for Southampton and Liverpool, 34 England caps.

We have spent no transfer fee on either of them and if you'd have offered me that before the transfer window i would say you were taking the piss.

Yep. Welbeck, Lallana and Veltman for virtually no transfer fee is just remarkable. Vast experience between them, all seem like great characters too. Brilliant for the younger players. Not sure what people were expecting but it’s blindingly good business.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
OK, let's give him a decent chance. Welcome to this great football club, Danny. A chance to prove yourself that you can still deliver in the Premier League. A few Gooners are saying he'll do very well here and keep us away from danger. He's got a good all-round game.

After a lot of thought, with no transfer fee, he looks a bargain. Even if his wages may make him one of the club's top earners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here