Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was wondering yesterday if his game had been put off just a bit by the Welbeck announcement actually - clearly a massive threat t his current 'top dog' up front status. Competition at least will be a good thing.

Could be, but he seems quite a modest lad off the pitch. He's always been a bit of a miss a sitter but get a stunner next week type striker

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I don't know mate, I mean we clearly need to be way more ruthless in front of goal. Neal has been good for us, but not so good he's a nailed on starter irrespective of opponents etc. We've got another option now and Neal, quite rightly, will have to continually deliver to keep his place

The point made by the MOTD2 pundits last night, and they showed several clips which painfully highlighted this long-standing problem - our forwards on the edge of the penalty area repeatedly playing one touch or pass too many, rather than having the confidence or hunger to shoot earlier.

As Danny Murphy said, we carry our tippy-tappy "passing out from the back" game into the final third of the pitch, instead of seizing any opportunity or half-chance for a shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Time and time again, while we delayed a shot or tried to be too intricate, the Palace defenders were able to close down our strikers and drive them away from the penalty area, or regain the ball and launch a counter-attack.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The point made by the MOTD2 pundits last night, and they showed several clips which painfully highlighted this long-standing problem - our forwards on the edge of the penalty area repeatedly playing one touch or pass too many, rather than having the confidence or hunger to shoot earlier.

As Danny Murphy said, we carry our tippy-tappy "passing out from the back" game into the final third of the pitch, instead of seizing any opportunity or half-chance for a shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Time and time again, while we delayed a shot or tried to be too intricate, the Palace defenders were able to close down our strikers and drive them away from the penalty area, or regain the ball and launch a counter-attack.

But on the other hand when Maupay has a choice between blasting it into a sea of legs or a simple lay off to Solly to tap into an unguarded net we underplay

It says to me the problem is less about overplaying than decision making .... which is much harder to resolve

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am genuinely excited by the prospect of Welbeck playing for us.. its all tempered by his fitness record, but, assuming that physically he is OK, then I am hopeful that GP and the team's thoughtful approach to the squad (Highlighted by Lallana recently) will give him the platform to get somewhere near his best. A team that is creating chances for him gives him every opportunity to take what must be his last chance at the top level (or very nearly). Welbeck anywhere near his best could be the best striker we have ever seen at the Club.. certainly at this level?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am genuinely excited by the prospect of Welbeck playing for us.. its all tempered by his fitness record, but, assuming that physically he is OK, then I am hopeful that GP and the team's thoughtful approach to the squad (Highlighted by Lallana recently) will give him the platform to get somewhere near his best. A team that is creating chances for him gives him every opportunity to take what must be his last chance at the top level (or very nearly). Welbeck anywhere near his best could be the best striker we have ever seen at the Club.. certainly at this level?

Watching that interview with him, I am even more excited about what he can bring ooth on the pitch and the training ground.

Hats off to Dan Ashworth and Adam Lallana.

Danny Welbeck, scoring for the Albion!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Bringing in model pros like Lallana, Veltman and Welbeck can only benefit the array of young talent we have coming through. Ben White learning from Veltman, Alzate learning from Lallana and Connolly and Zeqiri from Welbeck. Hopefully we will look back at the window as an absolute success in a few months time.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Watching that interview with him, I am even more excited about what he can bring ooth on the pitch and the training ground.

Hats off to Dan Ashworth and Adam Lallana.

Danny Welbeck, scoring for the Albion!
Wow he's comes across as a grounded down to earth player with the bonus of he is a trophy winner who has a lot of experience in The Premier league under Ferguson and Venger. England caps and European experience and he is still under 30 years old. If he can stay fit and injury free there is no reason he cant bag around ten goals this season. Good signing IMHO. :O

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
And so was Danny Ings until he wasnt anymore........

This is a truly fantastic piece of business, absolutely buzzing.

Welcome Danny Welbeck.(cant believe I am saying that!)

UTA - now lets smash them Palace w*nkers
I think that the difference between the injury prone nature of both players, is that Ings' injuries are all knee-related. Looking back on Welbeck's injuries, they seem more evenly distributed - knee, hip, groin, ankle....

Some players just seem to get injured more. Unfortunately, Welbeck seems to be one of those players.

Fingers-crossed, but I think there's a fair chance he's going to be unavailable for a fair amount of the season.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Danny Welbeck is and always has been a class player. He has suffered with injuries but players of his calibre always take a lot of shit during a game. He can bring a lot of knowhow and experience to a relatively inexperienced club finding their way in the toughest league in the world

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He is a decent enough player, was poor yesterday and he has had patches of bad form. The problem for us before yesterday, is we had scant little options if Maupay isnt playing that well.

Now with Welbeck we do, and he covers both form and injuries......

Maupay has also spent the last few years at both Brentford and here being the main man, now with a player of Welbecks pedigree breathing down his neck, he knows he will have to be on the top of his game, which is the kind of healthy competition and drive he needs.

Connolly is the one who is most likely going to have to raise his game to be honest.

Maupay hasn’t been playing centrally until yesterday, Connolly has been filling that role, makes me think it was in readiness to continue in that position when Welbeck comes into the side.

Tross-Wellbeck-Maupay as a front 3

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Wow he's comes across as a grounded down to earth player with the bonus of he is a trophy winner who has a lot of experience in The Premier league under Ferguson and Venger. England caps and European experience and he is still under 30 years old. If he can stay fit and injury free there is no reason he cant bag around ten goals this season. Good signing IMHO. :O

He has never scored more than 9 league goals in a season so don’t get too hopeful.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He has never scored more than 9 league goals in a season so don’t get too hopeful.

I hear what you are saying but he has to be a good signing for his experience alone. If fit & in the right circumstances who is to say he may hit form and come good. He didn't play for Man U & Arsenal for his experience, it was because he is a half decent player. I think an injury free season would be a stretch to far but maybe he will string a dozen games in a row and show us his ability. He is a different option at the very least.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Only 5 players have scored more goals in the Prem than Maupay this season.

At this rate of scoring he’d finish the season with 30 goals ffs. One bad game where he missed two chances doesn’t suddenly mean he should be dropped

In this calendar year he has scored 7 goals in 24 games. That’s not good enough for what we want to achieve. I didn’t base this view on yesterday. I like him, he is a key member of the squad but as yet is simply not prolific enough to lead the line week in week out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In this calendar year he has scored 7 goals in 24 games. That’s not good enough for what we want to achieve. I didn’t base this view on yesterday. I like him, he is a key member of the squad but as yet is simply not prolific enough to lead the line week in week out.

Have we got any stats on big chances missed? You have to create chances for players to score, I don’t recall thinking he’s missing a lot of clear chances (like I did with CMS as an example). A judgment on strikers has to come in conjunction of what is being created. Once we got our mojo back, he started scoring again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here