Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Actually looking forward to this we create a bucket load of chances he might just have the best season of his career to date goal wise. I’ve always felt with a little bit quality around the box we could do some serious damage. The lack of that quality striker in the window got my back up as it was a piece of the missing jigsaw we failed to get in.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
So one mistake means a benching

So going to bench March for not trusting his technique in the second half and instead of cutting inside to shoot going outside to a dead end by the corner flag and eventually having to pass all the way back to Dunk.

Exactly the same

That miss for me was an example of why he doesn’t yet have the technique to lead the line in the PL week in week out, we now have another option and we should use that option. I don’t think Maupay has been that great this season and today he missed two and potentially three chances that he needs to be scoring. It’s literally costing us points. I don’t want him sold or never starting again but I want us to try something different to stop this trend of possession and shots not being converted into goals.

We don’t have a better option than March so I don’t see how we can drop him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Good timing + placement for the clubs board meeting ...

Following discussions with Ashworth and Potter, luck came in the way of owner-chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber who were perfectly positioned to seal the deal. Brighton’s board of directors normally gather at a hotel in July for their annual meeting, held over two days. The COVID-19 lockdown prompted a prolonged postponement, with Bloom stranded in Australia and the 2019-20 season restarting in June. The meeting was booked instead for a Hertfordshire hotel on Monday and Tuesday — around five minutes from Welbeck’s home.

During talks with Welbeck at the hotel, Bloom and Barber outlined the club’s DNA and infrastructure, their future plans to establish Brighton as a top ten club and why they wanted him to be part of the journey.

Where have you got this info from?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Following discussions with Ashworth and Potter, luck came in the way of owner-chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber who were perfectly positioned to seal the deal. Brighton’s board of directors normally gather at a hotel in July for their annual meeting, held over two days. The COVID-19 lockdown prompted a prolonged postponement, with Bloom stranded in Australia and the 2019-20 season restarting in June. The meeting was booked instead for a Hertfordshire hotel on Monday and Tuesday — around five minutes from Welbeck’s home.

During talks with Welbeck at the hotel, Bloom and Barber outlined the club’s DNA and infrastructure, their future plans to establish Brighton as a top ten club and why they wanted him to be part of the journey.

Are you ITK or just have a vivid imagination?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bloom and Barber outlined that they had been unsuccessful securing anyone else within the allocated transfer window dates, and in a desperate bid to appease a seething NSC, they convinced Wheatabix* Legs that he should sign for them as no one else wanted him - a match made in heaven so to speak.

*© [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
That miss for me was an example of why he doesn’t yet have the technique to lead the line in the PL week in week out, we now have another option and we should use that option. I don’t think Maupay has been that great this season and today he missed two and potentially three chances that he needs to be scoring. It’s literally costing us points. I don’t want him sold or never starting again but I want us to try something different to stop this trend of possession and shots not being converted into goals.

Only 5 players have scored more goals in the Prem than Maupay this season.

At this rate of scoring he’d finish the season with 30 goals ffs. One bad game where he missed two chances doesn’t suddenly mean he should be dropped

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Scored 10 last season

Has 4 in 5 games this season.... yeah he is clearly out of his depth.

We miss a lot of chances but I’d argue our biggest problem this season has been at the other end of the pitch .... we’ve scored in every game so far but we keep conceding soft goals from set pieces.

Can’t keep blaming the players for not scoring enough when we keep letting in goals at the other end...... Chelsea, Man Utd and Everton we conceded almost immediately after scoring ... that’s the problem. The missed chances are just more glaring when we are losing games.

Strikers miss chances ... even easy ones ... it’s the nature of the game. Maupay is a quality striker and will score 12+ goals again this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Only 5 players have scored more goals in the Prem than Maupay this season.

At this rate of scoring he’d finish the season with 30 goals ffs. One bad game where he missed two chances doesn’t suddenly mean he should be dropped

As I said to a colleague earlier - I’d he was finishing those chances / half chances more consistently, he wouldn’t be at Brighton...! So don’t mind players having off games etc - Trossard did as well yesterday and he’s been excellent this season on the whole - it’s fine. Just a shame it was against that turgid excuse of a football team it happened.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As I said to a colleague earlier - I’d he was finishing those chances / half chances more consistently, he wouldn’t be at Brighton...! So don’t mind players having off games etc - Trossard did as well yesterday and he’s been excellent this season on the whole - it’s fine. Just a shame it was against that turgid excuse of a football team it happened.

He is a decent enough player, was poor yesterday and he has had patches of bad form. The problem for us before yesterday, is we had scant little options if Maupay isnt playing that well.

Now with Welbeck we do, and he covers both form and injuries......

Maupay has also spent the last few years at both Brentford and here being the main man, now with a player of Welbecks pedigree breathing down his neck, he knows he will have to be on the top of his game, which is the kind of healthy competition and drive he needs.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
He is a decent enough player, was poor yesterday and he has had patches of bad form. The problem for us before yesterday, is we had scant little options if Maupay isnt playing that well.

Now with Welbeck we do, and he covers both form and injuries......

Maupay has also spent the last few years at both Brentford and here being the main man, now with a player of Welbecks pedigree breathing down his neck, he knows he will have to be on the top of his game, which is the kind of healthy competition and drive he needs.

And if he and Wellbeck are on the pitch together he may get more space as a player of Wellbecks ability and stature may well occupy opposition defenders attention more allowing him more freedom?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Maupay’s problem yesterday wasn’t missing chances it was not actually shooting at all and to be fair that was one chance. The header was behind him, the turn was also behind him and he was slightly unlucky as the defender got a slight block on it. I like him but having the option of Welbeck is a huge positive IF he can stay fit, as we’re seeing with Lallana class is permanent.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It does in NSC World :shrug::shootself

I don't know mate, I mean we clearly need to be way more ruthless in front of goal. Neal has been good for us, but not so good he's a nailed on starter irrespective of opponents etc. We've got another option now and Neal, quite rightly, will have to continually deliver to keep his place

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't know mate, I mean we clearly need to be way more ruthless in front of goal. Neal has been good for us, but not so good he's a nailed on starter irrespective of opponents etc. We've got another option now and Neal, quite rightly, will have to continually deliver to keep his place

I was wondering yesterday if his game had been put off just a bit by the Welbeck announcement actually - clearly a massive threat t his current 'top dog' up front status. Competition at least will be a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here