[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Wasting wages on Lallana? You have some high high standards for the Albion, fair play to you sir [emoji38]ol:
Wasted was harsh (particularly after the performance today) but fair to say we've gambled wages on two players with reputations as massive sicknotes. Hope the medical team can work wonders, in fairness our recent record with injuries has been *whispers it* fairly good

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Surely a lot of the (many) questions regarding fitness would be answered by the fact that he's had - and passed - a thorough medical? Same goes for Lallana (I think I even said similar at the time he SINGED).

The club wouldn't want to bring in a crock, so they would've checked out everything they could.

Good luck to him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hoping he could be a success with us in the same manner other ex - England players Bridge & Upson were....

And their value in games is all we saw, not what they did on the training ground. Who knows how much influence Upson had on Dunk becoming the player he is now?

Lallana was the true captain on the field today, urging and encouraging his teammates and getting on at the referee - effectively trying to run the game. He can also give one or two players pointers on how to improve their 'wrong' foot (Neil Maupay). He isn't naturally two-footed, he worked hard at it, according to interviews he has given.

Maybe Welbeck can improve Maupay and Connolly as strikers. They both have qualities, but neither is anywhere near the complete package and if they have any sense they'll be watching and learning in training.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He was clean through, one on one and because he doesn’t trust his technique on his right foot he cut inside and the chance was lost. He’s simply not clinical enough and we need to try something else. I’m not saying exile him but a spell coming off the bench when Welbeck is up to speed may not be a bad thing.

You know that quote about doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome. Every game we hear how we aren’t clinical enough, well he’s out centre forward and so needs to shoulder some responsibility for that.

So one mistake means a benching

So going to bench March for not trusting his technique in the second half and instead of cutting inside to shoot going outside to a dead end by the corner flag and eventually having to pass all the way back to Dunk.

Exactly the same

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
but fair to say we've gambled wages on two players with reputations as massive sicknotes. Hope the medical team can work wonders, in fairness our recent record with injuries has been *whispers it* fairly good

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have only one word - INGS

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Massively excited by this, I know his injury record is at best chequered but if we can get him fit and keep him fit this is an absolutely astonishing signing for us. Massive favourite at Man U, Wenger moved heaven and earth to pinch him from under the noses of Tottenham when he left OT. Arsenal fans were very fond of him too, and that was when they were a genuine top 4 threat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday's performance makes it all the more difficult for me to boooooo Welbs.

"do I shoot?"

Or

"Pirouette around the ball".

Who in the right mind REPEATEDLY chooses the pirouette option.

I don't care if his leg comes off at the same time.
If Welbs puts his foot through the ball, at his first half sight of goal even I might nod of approval.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

He has a similar skill set to the marginally shorter Bobby Zamora. Quick, strong, good in the air & likes a chip.

The big difference is, we re-signed Bobby aged 34 in 2015 for a season as ‘3rd choice Striker’. He was never 100% fit and played 90 minutes just once but scored 7 goals including a number of crucial equalisers and winners. You’d struggle to find a fan who would say that second stint was a bad signing.

Welbeck is 5 years younger than Bobby was. He has finished runner up in the England team’s player of the year award twice. He has played for two of the best clubs in the Country and has been successful. If he gets 7 goals this season, this signing will be an absolute success and he’ll surely get an extension to his contract. Yet - there are still a small minority writing him off.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Massively excited by this, I know his injury record is at best chequered but if we can get him fit and keep him fit this is an absolutely astonishing signing for us. Massive favourite at Man U, Wenger moved heaven and earth to pinch him from under the noses of Tottenham when he left OT. Arsenal fans were very fond of him too, and that was when they were a genuine top 4 threat.

I'm with you!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He has a similar skill set to the marginally shorter Bobby Zamora. Quick, strong, good in the air & likes a chip.

The big difference is, we re-signed Bobby aged 34 in 2015 for a season as ‘3rd choice Striker’. He was never 100% fit and played 90 minutes just once but scored 7 goals including a number of crucial equalisers and winners. You’d struggle to find a fan who would say that second stint was a bad signing.

Welbeck is 5 years younger than Bobby was. He has finished runner up in the England team’s player of the year award twice. He has played for two of the best clubs in the Country and has been successful. If he gets 7 goals this season, this signing will be an absolute success and he’ll surely get an extension to his contract. Yet - there are still a small minority writing him off.
and I'm with you

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yesterday's performance makes it all the more difficult for me to boooooo Welbs.

"do I shoot?"

Or

"Pirouette around the ball".

Who in the right mind REPEATEDLY chooses the pirouette option.

I don't care if his leg comes off at the same time.
If Welbs puts his foot through the ball, at his first half sight of goal even I might nod of approval.

...and I'm with you too

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No lose situation for the club. Good signing, he'll be great around the training ground and gives us another option up front.

1 Year deal which works for everyone - if he has a good season he will probably have offers better than Brighton, but it means he has done well for us.
If it doesn't work out, its only 9 months wages

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
OMG we have the youngest squad- llana and Welbeck are worth having- hopefully something rubs off on ours

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good timing + placement for the clubs board meeting ...

Following discussions with Ashworth and Potter, luck came in the way of owner-chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber who were perfectly positioned to seal the deal. Brighton’s board of directors normally gather at a hotel in July for their annual meeting, held over two days. The COVID-19 lockdown prompted a prolonged postponement, with Bloom stranded in Australia and the 2019-20 season restarting in June. The meeting was booked instead for a Hertfordshire hotel on Monday and Tuesday — around five minutes from Welbeck’s home.

During talks with Welbeck at the hotel, Bloom and Barber outlined the club’s DNA and infrastructure, their future plans to establish Brighton as a top ten club and why they wanted him to be part of the journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports