Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Welbeck is a decent 3rd choice striker. That’s what we needed. Maupay and Connolly will start where they can but with Wellbeck and Swiss Andy as back up we have far more options than we did when the season started.

Welcome on board Danny and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This signing has a distinctive KITSON klaxon about it for me, but unfortunately we've left ourselves in a position of just needing to get a body in the door.

His legs are made of Weetabix. Hopefully Potter can coax some games and performances out of him, and I'm happy to have another striking option at least, but remain dubious as to how much we'll actually end up getting out of the fella.

With hot or cold milk?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This signing has a distinctive KITSON klaxon about it for me, but unfortunately we've left ourselves in a position of just needing to get a body in the door.

His legs are made of Weetabix. Hopefully Potter can coax some games and performances out of him, and I'm happy to have another striking option at least, but remain dubious as to how much we'll actually end up getting out of the fella.

That made me chuckle. Well done you.

I’m not convinced he’s going to be ‘the one’, but importantly I remain willing to be convinced. Here’s hoping he can recapture his younger glories.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
If we can get him him fit he is without doubt the best striker at the club. Pace, power, finishing and areal ability. The big question is, how quickly can we get him up to speed?

For me, a sure starter when fit and firing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Welbeck is a decent 3rd choice striker. That’s what we needed. Maupay and Connolly will start where they can but with Wellbeck and Swiss Andy as back up we have far more options than we did when the season started.

Exactly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we can get him him fit he is without doubt the best striker at the club. Pace, power, finishing and areal ability. The big question is, how quickly can we get him up to speed?

A lot of Watford fans saying he was their best striker post lockdown. A lot saying they’re annoyed he’s gone as they’ve got him up to speed. Fingers crossed that’s all true...

Worth a risk for me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So far Lallana has shut the ‘always injured’ brigade up. I know it’s early days but so far so good... let’s hope for the same with WELBZ (Crodo would have been delighted with this signing)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Maupay needs a spell on the bench. A top premier league striker does not cut back into their favoured foot when one on one, they tuck it away.

I know he has four goals but two were penalties. Maybe he starts against West Brom but for me he needs a rest.

One bad game and he needs a rest ?

Seems beyond harsh and not really a great idea

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Think he's a bit better than that GB. He is the best and most experienced striker at the club. His issue has always been fitness not ability.

If we can get him as fit as he was end of last season. He'll be first striker on the team sheet in a good many games.

Like saints fans a year ago,saying sicknote ings would be good back up to Shane Long and Che Adams!

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012

Agreed, if he can string some games together then he's our no. 9. That's quite a big 'if'. Hope so.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A lot of Watford fans saying he was their best striker post lockdown. A lot saying they’re annoyed he’s gone as they’ve got him up to speed. Fingers crossed that’s all true...

Worth a risk for me.

That 19yo Brazilian lad Jaoa Pedro they've got looks great. Scored a great goal v Derby on Friday night. He'll be off if they don't go up

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder if Danny will live in Wellbeck Avenue near Hove sea front?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
A Brighton player!

"Style of play
Due to his height and running style, Welbeck has been compared to former Arsenal strikers Emmanuel Adebayor and Nwankwo Kanu,[113][114] but styled his game on another former Arsenal forward, his boyhood hero Thierry Henry.[115]

He has also been known for his work-rate and has been described as strong, quick, and very good in the air.[116]

Critics have acknowledged the strength in Welbeck's style of play such as his work-rate, pace and intelligence in following tactical command, especially after his performance in both of Manchester United's Champions League knock-out stage matches against Real Madrid in 2013.[citation needed] Welbeck has been praised as a big game player.[117][118][119]

Under former England manager Roy Hodgson, who favoured the 4–3–3 formation,[120][121] Welbeck's ability in supporting the attack, pressing the midfield and holding up the ball fitted into the system.[122][123] Among his goal celebrations is the "salt bae" where he imitates a Turkish chef who flamboyantly sprinkled salt on meat.[124]"

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
One bad game and he needs a rest ?

Seems beyond harsh and not really a great idea

He was clean through, one on one and because he doesn’t trust his technique on his right foot he cut inside and the chance was lost. He’s simply not clinical enough and we need to try something else. I’m not saying exile him but a spell coming off the bench when Welbeck is up to speed may not be a bad thing.

You know that quote about doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome. Every game we hear how we aren’t clinical enough, well he’s out centre forward and so needs to shoulder some responsibility for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here