Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
In his day he was great, and I see him as a good professional. Can he still do it? I don’t know. His injury record is terrible.
After being released by a championship club you would think he would almost pay us for a chance in the Premiership.

I don’t really see him as the answer. If he still had it, Watford would have kept him in preference to Glen.

i suspect Glenn was a good £50k plus a week cheaper

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, should we? . . .

I don’t really see him as the answer. If he still had it, Watford would have kept him in preference to Glenn.

Welback certainly isn’t the long term answer. The club were clearly interested in a cluster of Strikers including Nunez, Watkins and Edouard.
They missed out on all three of them for various reasons.

Edouard remains at Celtic with an unsigned contract in front of him that has been there since July. His price is only going to go down as he’ll be in his last year of his contract next summer.

The club are concentrating on January now and I’m sure we’ll resume our search for the elusive £20m+ prolific young Striker.

In the meantime, a year contact for this fella to warm our bench and influence the youngsters in training makes perfect sense.

Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/pE1Wzq0h7Rk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we can get him in on a low fee why Not? There is no way any club will get him in on his wages when he was ar Liverpool. But thats never going to happen.

If is pay per person or low wage as a squad player. I see that as ok back up. We are never going to sign him at 90k give your heads a wobble.

What do you mean low fee?! What do my you mean Liverpool? Are you talking about the same Danny Welbeck? :lol:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Welbeck went his whole Man United career without an injury, then went to Arsenal and got the Arsenal curse.

Hopefully he can get a run of games with us and keep healthy, if we get 50%-60% of Welbeck's best then he will be a great signing.

Like others have said, his experience of being in big game situations and also his experience of winning major trophies will be a great asset.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Welbeck went his whole Man United career without an injury, then went to Arsenal and got the Arsenal curse.

Hopefully he can get a run of games with us and keep healthy, if we get 50%-60% of Welbeck's best then he will be a great signing.

Like others have said, his experience of being in big game situations and also his experience of winning major trophies will be a great asset.

You are right about the Arsenal thing and I'm not sure it was actually just a curse, more incompetence in their medical department. The amount of long term injuries they had during that period and the length of time it took them to recover was really worrying and there were serious questions being asked.

Santi Cazorla being the best example, he was close to retirement at Arsenal and has since gone on to have a complete renaissance for Villareal and Spain.

I really hope we can sign Welbeck. Both on and off the pitch as well as financially it makes a lot of sense.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Presumably it would be for a one-year deal to start off with, and I'm sure the club wouldn't be chucking money at him that we don't have. So why not? Seems like a good bloke so wouldn't upset the dressing room, probably got a few things to teach some of our younger players, and if we get some good performances out of him all the better. It's not like at this stage we'd be choosing him INSTEAD of someone else.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, should we? . . .

Lots of mention of his injuries.
What injuries has Wellbeck suffered from in the last few seasons?

17/18: 5 EPL games missed due to a hip injury and then a groin injury

18/19: 27 EPL games missed due to an ankle injury.

TRANSFER TO WATFORD

19/20: 18 EPL games due to the reoccurrence of the ankle injury against Spurs in October. Watford match day squads at. The Watford forum link earlier in this thread gives more details including how Watford must take credit for nursing and returning him to the excellent form he enjoyed post lockdown.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If we name less than 25 we can still sign out of contract players can’t we?

Yes I believe so, the rules allow it if you have named less than 25 players. You can sign a free agent and add them to the squad at any time, subject to a couple of clauses. The player has to have been a free agent before the closure of the last window and you cannot have a player under contract who could have been in the 25 but hasn't been named (you cannot drop a player from the 25 just to create space for a potential free agent).

West Ham signed Patrice Evra in Feb 2018 after the window had closed and the squads had been submitted thanks to this rule.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yes I believe so, the rules allow it if you have named less than 25 players. You can sign a free agent and add them to the squad at any time, subject to a couple of clauses. The player has to have been a free agent before the closure of the last window and you cannot have a player under contract who could have been in the 25 but hasn't been named (you cannot drop a player from the 25 just to create space for a potential free agent).

West Ham signed Patrice Evra in Feb 2018 after the window had closed and the squads had been submitted thanks to this rule.

Presumably why Wellbeck had his contract cancelled before the window closed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here