Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Deeney being another name that was suggested. Assuming the club want another attacking player (which could well not be the case, in which case this discussion is redundant), Ayew, Deeney and Welbeck were the names being floated.

Obviously with the deadline, the Deeney and Ayew ships have sailed, but in any case, I think Welbeck is by far the best option out of those three. He's got fantastic experience, has proven himself in the PL when fit and has a very good work rate.
Agree he's the best of the three that I wouldn't want anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Deeney being another name that was suggested. Assuming the club want another attacking player (which could well not be the case, in which case this discussion is redundant), Ayew, Deeney and Welbeck were the names being floated.

Obviously with the deadline, the Deeney and Ayew ships have sailed, but in any case, I think Welbeck is by far the best option out of those three. He's got fantastic experience, has proven himself in the PL when fit and has a very good work rate.

Just like Ayew and Deeney then..?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
These are "Potter next Manager" type odds. Must have legs

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He was good for England 6 years or more ago. 2 goals in 18 games for Watford last season.
Based on today, he is bang average and I would have preferred to keep Glenn as back up.
Will take him 6 months to get back up to fitness

That’s just glass half empty.

Glass half full:

Scored 3 goals from 9 starts for Watford last season. Was 100% fit after lockdown and one of Watford’s best players despite being stuck on the flanks to accommodate Deeney and his massive ego in the number 9 role.

Would have had a good pre-season with Watford and should be reasonably fit, certainly more fit than Izquierdo, Connolly & Jahanbakhsh seem to be at present.

Glenn is an impact sub in the Championship now; he’ll struggle to make the Watford squad once Deeney & Sarr have recovered from their disappointments at not getting Premier League moves.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If there is any truth in this, and the odds of 1/10 normally suggest its more than just speculation. I hope we get a wriggle on.

There is a distinct chance of a hijack attempt as Welbeck is the last turkey in the shop.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Agree he's the best of the three that I wouldn't want anyway.

That's fair enough. That's a perfectly reasonable view to take. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at all, I'm happy with what we've got, and he's not someone I'd want us relying on at all, but if the club ARE insistant on signing another attacker (which we don't know that they are) then I think we could do worse than Welbeck

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He was good for England 6 years or more ago. 2 goals in 18 games for Watford last season.
Based on today, he is bang average and I would have preferred to keep Glenn as back up.
Will take him 6 months to get back up to fitness

6 months?! What are you basing that on? He played post lockdown.

And people have really got to move on from Murray, the guy is a legend but he can’t run and was never an option for this season. We are better off having no one else than him.

And Welbeck is and always has been a better player than Murray too as well as being 7 years younger.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's fair enough. That's a perfectly reasonable view to take. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at all, I'm happy with what we've got, and he's not someone I'd want us relying on at all, but if the club ARE insistant on signing another attacker (which we don't know that they are) then I think we could do worse than Welbeck
I think maybe it's the fans (or a least NSC) that are desperate for another attacker rather than the club!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I think maybe it's the fans (or a least NSC) that are desperate for another attacker rather than the club!

possibly, I accepted that we were most probably going with what we had when the international window closed, but some on here will definitely still be clamouring for that elusive striker

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
well yes, but welbeck moreso, in my opinion. he has great international and european experience too, which Ayew also does, but I think Welbeck fits the profile of the player we need better.

So do I, and as I wrote a week or so back, its not just what Welbeck may offer on the pitch.

He really could be a great influence, similar to Lallana, on the training ground.

Maupay is the most senior striker at 24 (which is nothing - and with just 1 PL campaign behind him), and we've got two very young lads of 20 and 21 in Connolly and Zeqiri.

Welbeck for all his injury problems has played at the very highest level, full international, playing for Man U and Arsenal at the top end of the PL and in european competition. There is a hell of a lot that players like Connolly and Zeqiri will learn from someone like Welbeck, how he prepares, how he handles certain situations and who's been at the top.

I think Welbeck could be a very smart piece of business for more than just what he offers as a player option on matchday.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
So do I, and as I wrote a week or so back, its not just what Welbeck may offer on the pitch.

He really could be a great influence, similar to Lallana, on the training ground.

Maupay is the most senior striker at 24 (which is nothing - and with just 1 PL campaign behind him), and we've got two very young lads of 20 and 21 in Connolly and Zeqiri.

Welbeck for all his injury problems has played at the very highest level, full international, playing for Man U and Arsenal at the top end of the PL and in european competition. There is a hell of a lot that players like Connolly and Zeqiri will learn from someone like Welbeck, how he prepares, how he handles certain situations and who's been at the top.

I think Welbeck could be a very smart piece of business for more than just what he offers as a player option on matchday.

His injury list is the stuff of nightmares but I definitely agree he could do a job as a squad player for this year (to note: obviously tall and good in the air too), and seems to have a great attitude, has fantastic experience and potentially will be a great influence in the dressing room on this young squad.

I found this article earlier regarding his attitude / influence: https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-reveals-danny-12778915

It's Bloom's money at the end of the day. But I feel like he could do a job, one way or another.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
His injury list is the stuff of nightmares but I definitely agree he could do a job as a squad player for this year (to note: obviously tall and good in the air too), and seems to have a great attitude, has fantastic experience and potentially will be a great influence in the dressing room on this young squad.

I found this article earlier regarding his attitude / influence: https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-reveals-danny-12778915

It's Bloom's money at the end of the day. But I feel like he could do a job, one way or another.

sounds like a top bloke, and stuff like that about his attitude and influence may be a key reason in us potentially looking a him?

how often do you get the chance to sign players if this pedigree on a free?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m gonna be proper mental and IF this happens judge the signing after 6 months or so or even after he’s played a few games I may pass comment - it’s mental I know, I should be looking at his stats and judging him or even weighing up if he’s worth the wages we all know he will get as it’s all public document etc etc

But I’m gonna take a different approach and wait...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
sounds like a top bloke, and stuff like that about his attitude and influence may be a key reason in us potentially looking a him?

how often do you get the chance to sign players if this pedigree on a free?

If it happens we’d have had 2 in this window (sort of) and they are surely risks worth taking....! And no they don’t come about often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here