Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potentiall underwhelmed. Seems to be a backward step with regard to the direction the club has been going in. Will probably want near to £5M a year in wages anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potentiall underwhelmed. Seems to be a backward step with regard to the direction the club has been going in. Will probably want near to £5M a year in wages anyway.

Yeah. Think he is far more likely to end up in i.e. MLS than in any PL team.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

I don't see how that's the case. He's an extra body, he's a capable footballer when fit (which isn't very often, granted) and we won't be relying on him in any great capacity. Seems sensible if we're just after someone for a year before going after a more long-term solution next summer

If the club aren't happy with the finances there's no way they'd sanction a deal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You need to click through - the odds have changed.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.02.20.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't see how that's the case. He's an extra body, he's a capable footballer when fit (which isn't very often, granted) and we won't be relying on him in any great capacity. Seems sensible if we're just after someone for a year before going after a more long-term solution next summer

If the club aren't happy with the finances there's no way they'd sanction a deal.

Yep, an extra body - and that's about it. And an expensive one.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Please let this happen (I’m aware it’s not really going to)!

I’ve been banging the Welbeck drum for years, massively under rated player. He was great for England.

He was good for England 6 years or more ago. 2 goals in 18 games for Watford last season.
Based on today, he is bang average and I would have preferred to keep Glenn as back up.
Will take him 6 months to get back up to fitness

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Who said I want Deeney, and what's he got to do with it? I don't want either of them.

Deeney being another name that was suggested. Assuming the club want another attacking player (which could well not be the case, in which case this discussion is redundant), Ayew, Deeney and Welbeck were the names being floated.

Obviously with the deadline, the Deeney and Ayew ships have sailed, but in any case, I think Welbeck is by far the best option out of those three. He's got fantastic experience, has proven himself in the PL when fit and has a very good work rate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here