Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Danny Ward

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Said on here and to son and mates after the Leicester home game that it’s clear Leicester’s defenders don’t trust their keeper, mainly because he’s not Schmeichel.

Big shout of “keepers” before Leicester’s first own goal clearly ignored seems to back this up, as does Leicester having the third worst defensive record in the EPL.

Are Leicester’s woes mainly due to their custodian?

Sub discussion - if so does that make Sanchez more important to us than Caicedo?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Ward had a dodgy start to the season. Was dire at the Amex. Credit where due though, he has improved and was in great form going into the World Cup!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The Leicester defenders have been more to blame for their goals against column than their keeper.

And as for losing sanchez. I can't see it. We would need to have a replacement lined up like we did for cucu to consider it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Said on here and to son and mates after the Leicester home game that it’s clear Leicester’s defenders don’t trust their keeper, mainly because he’s not Schmeichel.

Big shout of “keepers” before Leicester’s first own goal clearly ignored seems to back this up, as does Leicester having the third worst defensive record in the EPL.

Are Leicester’s woes mainly due to their custodian?

Sub discussion - if so does that make Sanchez more important to us than Caicedo?
In Leicester's case yes, and in the Albion's maybe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to the World Cup with mates supporting championship and league one clubs. They were a bit worried about the Wales game until I told them some stories about Danny Ward who was in goal that night….

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
honestly one of the worst goalkeeping displays I've seen at the amex. never seemed to make himself big, as keepers do, and left an absolutely cavernous gap in his net for both the caicedo and trossard goals that were scored. as much as he's settled down a bit since then and been a lot better, hard to see how his defence's confidence in him would have returned yet.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Commentary questioned a shout. It was loud enough to wake my dog

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Went to the World Cup with mates supporting championship and league one clubs. They were a bit worried about the Wales game until I told them some stories about Danny Ward who was in goal that night….
To be fair he is still probably about the best keeper Wales have to offer, l mean, Danny Ward or Wayne Hennessey? . . . who would get your vote?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Tonight not his fault, but they don’t trust him because he’s not good enough.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I had thought he was the worse Premier League keeper till Boxing Day but that accolade now goes to the Saints keeper

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I had thought he was the worse Premier League keeper till Boxing Day but that accolade now goes to the Saints keeper
I hear you, I’d take Ward over Bazunu. No idea what they see in him, apart from being young and having overpaid from Manchester City. As nervous a goalkeeper I’ve seen watching the Albion since Graeme Smith. Desperately bad

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
CA0F6653-4F65-4DC2-BE24-35C93BA8B06F.png

Decent on the FPL front for points though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Highlights the importance of having good cover in the squad.
Schmeichel was a quality, ever-present keeper which probably disheartened his backup(s) to the point that when he left, the cupboard was bare ...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Highlights the importance of having good cover in the squad.
Schmeichel was a quality, ever-present keeper which probably disheartened his backup(s) to the point that when he left, the cupboard was bare ...
Do you think Brighton should sell Sanchez though without bringing in a replacement ? Steele is excellent cover but even he would admit he wouldn’t want to be number 1

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tonight not his fault, but they don’t trust him because he’s not good enough.
I agree with this. The goal agaisnt Liverpool was 100% the defenders fault but Ward isn't good enough.

The league is very tight outside of the big 6, small margins can win or lose you games. Schmeichel was an excellent keeper who could win points for the team by himself. Ward can't, or at least nowhere near enough. I don't think Leicester's poor form/results is entirely down to the keeper. I think Vardy ageing and starting less games is also a big loss. No Scmeichel and a lot less of Vardy is enough to affect most teams outside the big boys.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I agree with this. The goal agaisnt Liverpool was 100% the defenders fault but Ward isn't good enough.

The league is very tight outside of the big 6, small margins can win or lose you games. Schmeichel was an excellent keeper who could win points for the team by himself. Ward can't, or at least nowhere near enough. I don't think Leicester's poor form/results is entirely down to the keeper. I think Vardy ageing and starting less games is also a big loss. No Scmeichel and a lot less of Vardy is enough to affect most teams outside the big boys.
That plus Leicester's complete lack of recruitment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here