[Albion] Danny Ings to Villa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The definition of insanity…. Yet again we fail to get a striker in. Yes there’s still time but they are almost certainly going to miss the first game and maybe the second. Two games in which we could really look to take maximum points.

I don’t care what anyone says anymore about Tony knows what he’s doing and he is sensible with money. We have known since before the Euros we were likely to get circa £50m for a player that cost us nothing and yet a week before the season starts here we are with no new striker again. It’s getting ridiculous.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If we signed Danny Ings there'd be a 10 page thread of people complaining he was injury prone that would get bounced every time he tweaked a hair.

Ings is a very good striker but I am pleased that we did not get him.
All that money and we will have 2 injury prone forwards and another that misses lots of chances, but I hope he stops that nonsense this season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m Welbeck’s biggest fan on here but I’m sorry, that’s just not right, Ings is a far superior finisher to Welbeck. He’s lethal in front of goal. Southampton have been the opposite of us the last couple of years, ahead of their XG, purely because of Ings.

Ings is a brilliant footballer just let down at times by his fitness. This is an excellent signing for Villa and a disaster for Southampton. I’m loving every minute of it!

This.

Welbeck is probably our top finisher but tends to miss a few sitters and score harder chances.

Ings is a prime example of a natural finisher. Right time, right place and very rarely misses the target or shoots straight at the keeper (which as a team, we did about a million squillon times last season). There are very few like him in English football now, his goal scoring instinct is astonishing. That said, his injury record is only slightly better than Welbeck’s, Villa could very easily get just half a dozen games from him this season.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I’m Welbeck’s biggest fan on here but I’m sorry, that’s just not right, Ings is a far superior finisher to Welbeck. He’s lethal in front of goal. Southampton have been the opposite of us the last couple of years, ahead of their XG, purely because of Ings.

Ings is a brilliant footballer just let down at times by his fitness. This is an excellent signing for Villa and a disaster for Southampton. I’m loving every minute of it!

I don't do stats, at least not the way it is done nowadays, how many millimetres he has run etc, but i guess you are right, Ings is a very good finisher when fit but Wellbeck is right up there if fit and provided with the chances.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Third richest owners in the PL. And it shows.
However their recruitment has been excellent. Martinez was the best keeper in the league last season, IMHO.
Give it a couple of years and they will be a real force.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We all know Blooms MO is to seek value whether we like it or not. £30M for a injury prone 29 year old is not good value.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Thought he’d go to a bigger / better club / team than that. Cilla just splash the cash for the fun of it - can’t compete with them and West Ham in the market I’m afraid.

I could be wrong but with Grealish going for £100m Villa are still £7m in credit despite signing Buendia, Ings and Bailey, that’s very good business.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
30 million is an absolute STEAL for a one goal in two games goalscorer, who is only 29 ..... What planet are people on???

And the guy has played in nearly 70 games over the last 2 seasons.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Given the right supply Wellbeck is as good a finisher as Ings.
Both are injury prone but I will admit that Wellbeck is more injury prone than Ings but Ings could easily get injured in the first game and be out for a few weeks.
I am not saying we don't need a striker, we do, but I am keeping everything crossed that we can get Wellbeck ready and he stays fit.
It is also going to be interesting to see how Maupay performs, if he continues to miss lots of chances we could be in a sticky posistion.
Tosh, Welbeck’s best season was ten goals or something and that’s when he had quality players supplying him. Love your optimism though for our sick note striker :thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’s a mercenary bar steward and wouldn’t pass our no dickheads rule.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
According to the BBC, it's £25m for a 29 year old, albeit one who's scored 44 goals in 100 games in all competitions for Southampton.

He played 29 league games for the Saints last season and got 12 goals. Not a bad return, but lower than the 22 in 38 in 2019-20.

On the surface, it seems like a reasonable deal for both parties. Villa get a proven scorer and Saints get a return on the £20m that they paid.

But for Southampton who finished 2 points above us, scored 7 more goals but conceded 22 more, the fear is who's going to bail out the defence.

To put it in perspective, Saints conceded 15 more than relegated Fulham and 5 more than Sheffield United who finished bottom.

With Che Adams only scoring 9 in 30 appearances and despite the set-piece prowess of Ward-Prowse, it might not be enough.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The definition of insanity…. Yet again we fail to get a striker in. Yes there’s still time but they are almost certainly going to miss the first game and maybe the second. Two games in which we could really look to take maximum points.

I don’t care what anyone says anymore about Tony knows what he’s doing and he is sensible with money. We have known since before the Euros we were likely to get circa £50m for a player that cost us nothing and yet a week before the season starts here we are with no new striker again. It’s getting ridiculous.
Have to say another window of will Nunez sign is a tad depressing especially as he can’t even play until October if he did sign. I’m not sure I believe the move for the Argie either he made is mind up to quickly to swerve the PL and join a middling managerless Italian side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to the BBC, it's £25m for a 29 year old, albeit one who's scored 44 goals in 100 games in all competitions for Southampton.

He played 29 league games for the Saints last season and got 12 goals. Not a bad return, but lower than the 22 in 38 in 2019-20.

On the surface, it seems like a reasonable deal for both parties. Villa get a proven scorer and Saints get a return on the £20m that they paid.

But for Southampton who finished 2 points above us, scored 7 more goals but conceded 22 more, the fear is who's going to bail out the defence.

To put it in perspective, Saints conceded 15 more than relegated Fulham and 5 more than Sheffield United who finished bottom.

With Che Adams only scoring 9 in 30 appearances and despite the set-piece prowess of Ward-Prowse, it might not be enough.

Didn't Southampton concede most of those goals in one game? - again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Wow..... now that's what you call moving quickly

Barber and Bloom watch and learn !!!!

Uncalled for dig at our dear owner.

What do “Barber and Bloom” have to learn exactly?

How to break the bank offering close to a 70k wage? Have you not noticed our transfer model yet?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The definition of insanity…. Yet again we fail to get a striker in.

Window hasn’t shut yet…

We did sign Welbeck, Zequiri and Tau last season. So there’s reasonable cause to expect we’ll make signings.

Maybe it’s an idea to hold the anger until the window is closed and we can properly assess our business.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports