Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Holla

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
A classic case of something being posted on NSC and it instantaneously becoming "fact".

Since his loan move to Granada he has given interviews to media in both England and Spain that make it clear he and his family were settled in England and he wasn't looking to go out on loan.

Fair enough. Sure there was an argus piece along those lines too but I trust your better judgement. Hopefully he does stay and he actually gets used as a striker as him, Baldock and Hemed with one new face would be more than decent front line options.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair enough. Sure there was an argus piece along those lines too but I trust your better judgement. Hopefully he does stay and he actually gets used as a striker as him, Baldock and Hemed with one new face would be more than decent front line options.

I posted this a few weeks ago, but it probably bears repeating:-

I know [Colunga being homesick] has been mooted on here, but I don't think it was actually the case. There was an interview in the Argus on February 6, shortly after he left on loan, in which Colunga was quoted as saying:-

I wasn't contemplating coming back to Spain. My family were in England things were going quite well. Then they changed managers and, when the manager changes, so does the project on the pitch. ... Brighton were really good with me. They could have insisted that I stay in England but they respected the decision I had taken.

And, in another article in the Argus on May 1 about Colunga's unhappy loan spell at Granada, Hughton was quoted as saying:-

At that moment it was my choice. I felt he would be better suited going on loan and me using the players that I have here. I presume at the end of the season once he has finished playing where he is now he is a Brighton player and will return. Then of course there is a question of assessing him, so it's something I have to think about over the summer. It's one also for both sides. I think when he went he was very pleased to get that opportunity to go back to Spain. I'll have to sit down with him but he is, of course, our player. It's one we will have to discuss and determine what is best for both parties.

Given these quotes from the manager and the player, it sounds very much like Hughton didn't rate or want Colunga, for whatever reason, rather than the player himself wanting to return to Spain because he or his family hadn't settled.

And, since I originally posted that, the Argus reported on June 8 an interview Colunga had given Radio Marca in which he said:-

I consider this to have been half a very good year and half bad. Half bad because I had bad luck here. Half good because I was happy in England. I played, scored some goals.It was just a change of manager that changed things. I had various options to move on and I chose Granada with all the hope in the world. ...Along with London, Brighton is the best place to live in England. It's in the south, it's very cosmopolitan. You live very well there.

All of that, to my simple mind, would seem to debunk the "Colunga was homesick" hypothesis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As usual BG you have no idea what you're talking about. Crofts is too slow and will only be a squad player for the club this season.

As you say, with such great knowledge and authority, I know nothing, but if you read it I did say I would sooner have A FULLY FIT Crofts than Ince. If he is fit and stays fit the best Ince can hope for is a place on the bench competingwith or behind JFC for an odd sub appearance.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
ince over crofts for me anyday, this time round anyway. Crofts used to be class for us, but I don't think he's anywhere near the player he was before.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ince over crofts for me anyday, this time round anyway. Crofts used to be class for us, but I don't think he's anywhere near the player he was before.

He wasnt, you are right but CH says Crofts is now fully fit raring to go like he was at Norwich, like a new signing for us, so lets wait and see and hope. If he is fit I can see JFC or Ince going out on loan.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Crofts needs to have fully overcome his injury, psychologically as well as physically, before we judge him. He was just beginning to return to form when he went and got injured again. If he comes through unscathed this time he will be a valuable squad asset.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He wasnt, you are right but CH says Crofts is now fully fit raring to go like he was at Norwich, like a new signing for us, so lets wait and see and hope. If he is fit I can see JFC or Ince going out on loan.
Why would we loan out our 2nd best midfielder?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He took the best corners out of anyone in the team. Dunk scored his goals from Holla corners.

Have to agree with you there. Dunk scored most of his goals in the first half of the season, when Holla took the majority of corners (although, for some reason unbeknown to me, JFC also took plenty -- 90% of which were hopeless). Holla's free kick taking was compromised by the presence of Gardener in the team, who seemed to be preferred. Holla is the best passer in our squad but, despite his new toned look, I suspect he's too slow, and that we've got three better central midfield players (Kayal, Ince, Stephens). But Holla, JFC and Crofts offer plenty of options and variety. We're well served in central midfield. We need pace up front (ideally two, or even three, although I'd sacrifice one for an extremely creative player) and a centre-back.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why would we loan out our 2nd best midfielder?

Stephens isn't mentioned in the quote? He's comfortably our second best midfielder. If you're referring to Ince, he has undoubted potential but there's a reason three successive managers have only played him 50% of the time. Although he's big and strong, a good tackler and has a good turn of pace, his ball control is still utterly awful (but improving) and although he retains posession well, he still has a long way to go to be the 2nd midfielder on the teamsheet.

In fact, I would say this season Kayal, Stephens, Crofts and Holla (especially if fully fit and with a proper pre-season under his belt) are all above him already and that's not including the fact we still need a more creative midfielder to add into the mix.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think Colunga feels he has a point to prove and will be in the squad on opening day.

Another player who didn't reach his true potential last season.

I tend to agree. I was impressed with the times I saw him even with the idea that he could somehow be pushed out to the wing, when he didn't look a winger. I hope we get to see the Israeli guy, Baldock's and him as a front three partnership...maybe him playing behind the two of Baldock and Israeli guy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

I am sorely tempted to make my first ever comment about football on here.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Based on what we saw at the end of last season, I would think that CH will play three in the centre.

Personally I'd like that to be Holla Stephens and Kayal as I really like what they have to offer (I also think that Holla has more to him than we saw previously), plus they are more "complete" players IMO (attacking, defending, range of passing) than our other options.

BUT with JFC, Ince and Crofts there's decent competition for places. Centre mid is really an area we don't have to worry about.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I tend to agree. I was impressed with the times I saw him even with the idea that he could somehow be pushed out to the wing, when he didn't look a winger. I hope we get to see the Israeli guy, Baldock's and him as a front three partnership...maybe him playing behind the two of Baldock and Israeli guy.

OOOOoooooo that sounds GREAT :)

I think I may actually start looking forward to the new season!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Based on what we saw at the end of last season, I would think that CH will play three in the centre.

Personally I'd like that to be Holla Stephens and Kayal as I really like what they have to offer (I also think that Holla has more to him than we saw previously), plus they are more "complete" players IMO (attacking, defending, range of passing) than our other options.

BUT with JFC, Ince and Crofts there's decent competition for places. Centre mid is really an area we don't have to worry about.

I hope you are right.

4-3-3 and the central midfielder has to be above average standard.

4-2-3-1 and we really need two left-sided midfielders. I don't think this is a winning system, just avoids defeat. (And who is going to play the Teixeira central role anyway?)

4-4-2 and an extra midfielder instead of the (expansive) wide man and I don't like that to win home matches.

4-3-3 seems best for home matches and instead of having one player in the central the midfielders can interchange even in the same match. And can even transform into a 4-4-2.

So I agree, midfield is not a priority (compared to a second striker, winger, cover in central defence), but not something to be neglected either.

Arguable that the covering central defender (Greer), midfield general (Beram Kayal) and striker (Hemed) are the spine of the side, and our players in these positions should be a cut above the norm? i.e. ready made PL standard for promotion ambitions.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Liked the look of Holla in the first few games he played for us, looked like a natural leader. Then just seemed to go missing more and more as the season went on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Beram Kayal (another thread going off subject)

Exactly what we've missing (guile* and deception on the edge of the box). Lualua take note. (*Bruno was suitably deceived.)

Beram Kayal looks like an attacking midfielder. Has looked a bit like this before when running ahead of Teixeira.

Style of play[edit]
Kayal is a central midfielder but he is capable of performing various different roles within the position. He can play as a defensive midfielder, sitting in front of the back four and stifling the opposition or as a box-to-box midfielder, protecting the defenders as well as supporting the forwards. Although he is more renowned for his defensive capabilities than attacking, he is still able to contribute well to going forward.[37]

Kayal is a tenacious, hard working midfielder, known for high stamina level, aggressive tackling and combatative edge, he also has great passing ability and quick feet.[37][38] Ex-Celtic and Israel midfielder Eyal Berkovic, described him as being: "Perfect for British football. He is strong technically, very aware but really competitive...He will have no problem adapting to the style in Scotland – he will love the speed and aggression.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beram_Kayal#Style_of_play

If Kayal plays the Tex role (and I prefer him) Danny Holla could play the defensive midfield role and take the set pieces.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here