Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So with out reading 26 pages is he any good

Well the best player on the pitch yesterday was considered not good enough by many on here who'd never seen him play but read that he couldn't get into a relegation threatened League One Brentford team a couple of years ago, so probably quite shit as well. I mean he hasn't had a club since the end of last season. Must be rubbish, no?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Really? How does this emoticon get a thumbs down [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] ?

Why do you feel the need to question every thumbs down?
As you've asked (again), it was due to your choice of emoticon and zero follow up.
Clubs sign players based upon scouting reports all the time.
You also described his signing as 'uninspiring'.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I think sammi wants to play with 2 deep lying midfielders as we know . one will be the destroyer type (toko / ince ) another will be a deep lying playmaker who can pass the ball around and support the attack when needs be but also get stuck in (stephens / holla) . if he was captain at den haag it also helps to have another leader type in the team . looks good to me but I wont know till I see on saturday

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think sammi wants to play with 2 deep lying midfielders as we know . one will be the destroyer type (toko / ince ) another will be a deep lying playmaker who can pass the ball around and support the attack when needs be but also get stuck in (stephens / holla) . if he was captain at den haag it also helps to have another leader type in the team . looks good to me but I wont know till I see on saturday

Key point. Not sure we had any of them on Saturday, except Gordon and he's knocking on.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Key point. Not sure we had any of them on Saturday, except Gordon and he's knocking on.

im sure I read somewhere that part of the recruitment teams policy is to look into the backgrounds of the players we are interested in . they want the right characters for the dressing room . having a former captain in midfield looks good then in my opinion . the only thing I worry slightly about is if he was a back up plan to clayton why give him a 3 year deal . we gave kemy a 2 year deal . 2 weeks would have been generous and I was quite excited when we signed him so who knows

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Why do you feel the need to question every thumbs down?
As you've asked (again), it was due to your choice of emoticon and zero follow up.
Clubs sign players based upon scouting reports all the time.
You also described his signing as 'uninspiring'.

Because I like to hear peoples opinions when they differ to mine, rather than sneaking through marking me down. The reason for icon was because I'd like to think that Sami may have seen these players at least once, even if it's on DVD, before we sign them. Despite you taking offence to my 'uninspiring' post i notice you neglected the posts I made about giving him the benefit of the doubt and that he may actually be a more affordable version of Clayton. Nothing like a bit of consistency eh :thumbsup:

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
You may as well give up. So far in this thread, we've heard criticism of the Holla signing because:

-he's "a Dutch second division player" (firstly, he's not, and secondly, the poster who said that would have been sat here with a semi if we'd signed Adam Clayton who was and still is a second division player)

-the Dutch league must be crap because only a few teams win it (wait- exactly like La Liga and the Premier League, you mean?)

-he's available in late August on a free transfer (like...oh hey...Tomasz Kuszczak? Yep, he's really shit).

-the piece de resistance from Kev comes with his assertion that decent players available on frees can afford to wait it out and be choosy about their preferred option, yet, as far as Holla is concerned, it MUST be because he's shit.

Overall, a quite amazingly poor series of arguments here that really are making the posters in question look pretty dim.

For my money: I know nothing of Holla. But he's not going to cost much, so he's hardly a gamble for the club, and it leaves us plenty of cash- we'd like to think- for some bigger signings in the next week or so. Clearly somebody thinks he can do a job, and for no fee, it's a no-lose deal for us. If he works hard, can pass the ball, win the ball, and chip in with a goal or two, then that already puts him ahead of one or two others (I wouldn't say Ince or JFC have started the season at all well).

Give the guy a break: I don't know why but I've got a good feeling for this one. Surely a bargain signing who goes on to surprise a few people is a positive thing?

My worry is that it isn't leaving money for other signings and that our only signings are going to be freebies and loans. Still time but that is my worry. Whilst not saying free and loan players are crap btw just think we need a bit more..

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Because I like to hear peoples opinions when they differ to mine, rather than sneaking through marking me down. The reason for icon was because I'd like to think that Sami may have seen these players at least once, even if it's on DVD, before we sign them. Despite you taking offence to my 'uninspiring' post i notice you neglected the posts I made about giving him the benefit of the doubt and that he may actually be a more affordable version of Clayton. Nothing like a bit of consistency eh :thumbsup:

Feel free to mark me down for anything you disagree with. That's what it's for, isn't it? This place wouldn't half be dull (or duller) if you had to post every time you felt something was overly negative or delusional.
Some fairly polarised opinions on here. I like to think of the 'thumbs down' icon as a "BOOOO".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You seem to do that a lot Kev - have you had your prostate checked recently?

He can't. His head is firmly rammed up there so doctors can't get a look in.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Danny Holla: A Dutch Perspective: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?170-The-Dutch-perspective-of-Danny-Holla

I would think that when he plays for a team like ADO, he’d be worth about £1m-£1.5m. If he was playing in England I’d see his value as £2m-£2.5m.

Reads a bit like a Brian Horton sort of player. Just what we needed to be better than Liam Bridcutt. Now we just need a Gary Williams-type, Mark Lawrenson type and a Peter Ward type and other clubs beware. I think we can omit the Teddy Maybank-type.

Dec 29, 2011
My worry is that it isn't leaving money for other signings and that our only signings are going to be freebies and loans. Still time but that is my worry. Whilst not saying free and loan players are crap btw just think we need a bit more..

He was free, that's the best way to leave money for further signings.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sami has said that he does all his scouting from DVDs, but this sounds as if he hasn't even done that. Okay, the days of Peter Taylor (the elder) driving 300 miles to stand behind the goal in freezing rain and a heavy disguise are long gone, but I wonder if things haven't gone a little too far in the opposite direction ...

I have been assured that Sami has seen him play. Get your facts right, idiot.

Maybe you were confusing him with your mate Dick. He liked to sign foreign players based upon having only seen highlight videos, didn't he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here