Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Guthrie

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
No. No it is not. It was a terrible takcle, he wasn't going for the ball at all, like I said in my earlier post, the fact that he had a first go further shows it was intended.

it was no more malicious than every two footed studs up tackle that goes in every other week

essien, obi mikel spring to mind

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Don't dignify what Danny Guthrie did by calling it a tackle. It had nothing to do with where the ball was or anything. He kicked the guy as hard as he could.

I'm not trying to dignify it at all. Whatever you want to call it, it was awful. I was just making the point that the injury is a matter of luck or bad luck. If there had been no injury at all the 'tackle' or 'assault' would have been just as bad and derserving of a greater ban.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not trying to dignify it at all. Whatever you want to call it, it was awful. I was just making the point that the injury is a matter of luck or bad luck. If there had been no injury at all the 'tackle' or 'assault' would have been just as bad and derserving of a greater ban.

Agreed on your point there.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Oh come on, its not as if he broke somebodies with a malicious, violent attack, borne out of pure rage and frustration.

Oh yes he did! silly me, should have had his ban doubled, maybe his guardian angel Joey Barton was looking after him:annoyed:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

Yes, I agree, he should of got a long ban regardless of the injured player's outcome. Not resulting in a serious injury doesn't take anything away from the fact it was a blatent, terrible 'tackle'.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
it was no more malicious than every two footed studs up tackle that goes in every other week

essien, obi mikel spring to mind

I do see your point, but most of those two footed tackles do seem as though they are going for the ball (even if they weren't, it looks that way.) There wasn't even a slight indication Guthrie was going for the ball, he tried once, missed, chased him back and looked like he intended to cause damage.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
I do see your point, but most of those two footed tackles do seem as though they are going for the ball (even if they weren't, it looks that way.) There wasn't even a slight indication Guthrie was going for the ball, he tried once, missed, chased him back and looked like he intended to cause damage.

yes, it was a disgrace, and probably should have got a longer ban. but that just shows i feel a lot of the horrendous career threatening two footed studs up knee high lunges also deserve more.

why do we even consider that things like this will happen though, the fa have proven time and time again they have no backbone.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
to be honest, it was no worse than a lot of standard "red card fouls". just a shame and unlucky as it actually broke the guys leg.

Eh? Were you watching the same "tackle" as me? He looked as though he was kicking the **** out of him.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think the problem is where to draw the line where it is seen to be deliberate or not.

Gutherie, looks like so much intent. Fagan is injured for 3 months
Taylor, looks like no real intent. Eduardo is injured for 9 months

Though Taylors tackle was not as obvious as Gutheries, who's to say if it was intended, as Taylors one produced a much worse result.

I think that if players knew they would be banned for the length that the victim is out injured, these tackles wouldnt happen

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think the problem is where to draw the line where it is seen to be deliberate or not.

Gutherie, looks like so much intent. Fagan is injured for 3 months
Taylor, looks like no real intent. Eduardo is injured for 9 months

Though Taylors tackle was not as obvious as Gutheries, who's to say if it was intended, as Taylors one produced a much worse result.

I think that if players knew they would be banned for the length that the victim is out injured, these tackles wouldnt happen

That's hardly fair on Taylor though, because as you say there was no intent - he just mistimed it with horrible results. I think the answer would be to do much as the FA's system says - charge the player with another offence if the intent/criminal activity is there. IMO it clearly was here but unsurprisingly the FA have taken a different view. Wonder if the police will deem it worthy of investigation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here