Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Baker returns to 606 (again!)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
BBC - Press Office - Danny Baker returns to 606 on Radio 5 Live

Danny Baker is to return to 606, the iconic football phone-in on BBC Radio 5 Live, for the European Championship.

Danny Baker, the original host of the show in the Nineties, will take calls on 606 from Sunday 8 June following Austria's game against Croatia.

Fans can give their views on the tournament to Danny and watch the debate on interactive digital tv via the red button in special editions of Euro 2008 606.

Danny Baker will host six editions of 606 en route to the final in Vienna on Sunday 29 June.

He said: "I don't think anyone has been fired three times from the BBC – not even Kenny Everett – so returning to 606 represents an enormous opportunity for me.

"Of course the problem is that latest figures suggest only 1,400 people in the UK have even a passing interest in this tournament but I really believe that, come the latter stages, Radio 5 Live can double that tally.

"Leastways, I've never been to Iceland before and am very much relishing getting to grips with the altitude and native songs as the competition unfolds.

"I'm particularly flattered the BBC have seen fit to let me host the big show after the final. That's the one I'm saving it all up for."

Radio 5 Live Controller Adrian Van Klaveren said: "It's fantastic to have Danny back on 606 where he made such an impact previously.

"This show will be a large part of our Euro 2008 coverage and complement our live commentary."

Radio 5 Live will feature every game of the Euro 2008 tournament live on either 5 Live or its sister digital station BBC 5 Live Sports Extra.

There will be expert commentary and analysis from guests including Steve McClaren, Graham Taylor, Chris Waddle, Stan Collymore, Pat Nevin and Jan Molby.

There will also be four Euro editions of Fighting Talk during June chaired by Colin Murray.

:clap:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Happy Days. Although I stopped getting his Times Podcast from the World Cup- "me and my mate are being paid to swan around Germany for four weeks watching top matches" ................. gnash.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love DB, I was on his London show last week, I recited Motorheads "Motorhead" in the style of a church sermon :D

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Happy Days. Although I stopped getting his Times Podcast from the World Cup- "me and my mate are being paid to swan around Germany for four weeks watching top matches" ................. gnash.

Wasn't that Baddiel and Skinner?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wasn't that Baddiel and Skinner?

Baddiel & Skinner's podcasts were top notch...

On Rooney getting sent off against Portugal, Skinner (recording liev at the game) doesn't beat around the bush..
"F*cking Rooney's been f*cking sent off for f*cking doing f*ck all!"

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Baddiel & Skinner's podcasts were top notch...

On Rooney getting sent off against Portugal, Skinner (recording liev at the game) doesn't beat around the bush..
"F*cking Rooney's been f*cking sent off for f*cking doing f*ck all!"

:D Yeah, i agree, they were a good listen.

Thinking about it, Danny Kelly might have done one during the world cup, but i'm almost certain Baker didn't!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Su-perb news. I just hope that other stations listen in and realise that what made football phone-ins so good, and why the original 6-0-6 was so popular was because it WASN'T about whinging fans from a few teams complaining about how their team lost due to the ref / lino / colour of their shirts. It was about stories, funny lists, banter, cold grounds, worst food, over-rated players at your club etc .... what the result had been that day would barely get a mention.

Please let this be the start of the return to an entertaining football phone-in and not just whinging and gloating.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
ahoy hoy

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Surely one of the greatest double crimes in radio broadcasting history - first sacking him, and second handing the show to braying lunatic David Mellor, the extra twist of the knife in the guts. Great news top hear the Baker boy is back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He is still on top form on BBC London, 3-5pm weekdays :clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely one of the greatest double crimes in radio broadcasting history - first sacking him, and second handing the show to braying lunatic David Mellor, the extra twist of the knife in the guts. Great news top hear the Baker boy is back.
Spot on. Baker was always top entertainment (I was gutted when he left) and Mellor was an absolute fuckwitt. Now that Baker is back, hopefully 606 will once again be palatable to supporters of lower league soccerball clubs, instead of whinging Spurs twats, unintelligent female fans, and the hoards of armchairs who "support" one of the big four but haven't got a clue about the game.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Think it's a bit of a result that he's doing shows after games nobody cares about - guarantee's the topics won't involve people whining about the ref!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I remember DB really exposing our plight when he was on 606.Best presenter ever on that show

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Su-perb news. I just hope that other stations listen in and realise that what made football phone-ins so good, and why the original 6-0-6 was so popular was because it WASN'T about whinging fans from a few teams complaining about how their team lost due to the ref / lino / colour of their shirts. It was about stories, funny lists, banter, cold grounds, worst food, over-rated players at your club etc .... what the result had been that day would barely get a mention.

Please let this be the start of the return to an entertaining football phone-in and not just whinging and gloating.

"Spot" and I might add "on"

The current Prem obsessed 606 was summed up for me recently by a Chelsea "fan" accepting that Grant has done a good job in taking the Championship to the wire (from the postion they were in) and getting them to CL final for the first time ever. But this goon still said "He hasnt got a clue and wont take this club forward"

How mush further forward can you get!!!!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
When they sacked DB from 606 (the excuse used was that he read out a referee's address, I think) was the only time in my life I've been enough of a saddo to write to the BBC to complain. If only Points of View had still been on air, they'd have surely been overloaded with support for Baker.

The man's a broadcasting genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here