Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daniel James

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need a winger to replace Jose, out till Jan. If his father had not died, I would have thought a Utd. purchase with a 6 month loan to us would have worked well for all concerned.

Not for me... we need to invest in young talent, not loan them in...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given his family circumstances, the Giggs / Wales/ Man Utd connection, the money on offer then much as I would love Daniel to sign for the Seagulls it surely has to be Utd?

That said under Potter he'd start every week in the Prem.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The only people running James to Brighton stories are unverified twitter accounts with less than 1000 followers.

He isn’t signing for us. He’s signing for Man.U. Move on ffs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The only people running James to Brighton stories are unverified twitter accounts with less than 1000 followers.

This is almost 100% the case...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he came to us, and yes, he'd be a perfect fit with a manager that knows him well, a system that's familiar and a team that would try to utilise his pace.

He'd struggle to break past Rashford and Martial at United, the place is a shambles and their manager is a dead man walking, but, and it's a HUGE but... It's Manchester United. Who in their right mind turns down a mega money, multi year contract at one of the biggest clubs in the world to come to us? Even if it doesn't work out, he'll be negotiating a deal from a much higher base in two years. I'd love to be proved wrong, but come on...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is almost 100% the case...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he came to us, and yes, he'd be a perfect fit with a manager that knows him well, a system that's familiar and a team that would try to utilise his pace.

He'd struggle to break past Rashford and Martial at United, the place is a shambles and their manager is a dead man walking, but, and it's a HUGE but... It's Manchester United. Who in their right mind turns down a mega money, multi year contract at one of the biggest clubs in the world to come to us? Even if it doesn't work out, he'll be negotiating a deal from a much higher base in two years. I'd love to be proved wrong, but come on...

All true, but I’m not giving up on this until I see a cheesy grin and James posing with a United shirt.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

You are probably right, but a £15m signing for Man Utd is nothing special. That's the level of investment they put into guys coming into their development squad. He could be lost into the massive Man Utd machine, only showing his face for League Cup games with the other kids, early rounds of the FA Cup and a run out in the Europa League. If he needs more football, he's off to Preston on loan.

Whereas a £15m signing for us is straight into the 1st Team squad, and even if he's struggling, he'll get more chances with us, as we need to make a £15m signing work out more than man Utd do. Add in the fact that it's a manager he knows, and has worked really well with, then if he is a kid who values 1st Team opportunities over signing for a big name club, then we are in the box seat to be the ones who could whip him out from under their noses.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It was over the minute they showed interest.

They may be an abyssal void in terms of young players, and I fully expect to see him playing for Wigan after a couple years obscurity, but kids just don't turn down these kinds of moves.

Young footballers (and most older ones) just aren't very smart, chase a poisoned chalice of club status and employ agents who claw every bit of cash out of these machines. He will be fed the ambitious spiel even though he has little hope of breaking into an absolute trainwreck of a team/club, he will be told he's the next Giggsy I'm sure and other such hysterical bollocks, and sign he most definitely will.

Admittedly there are meritable arguments for him joining a club such as ours at this stage of his career, and ultimately I think it would probably be better for him. But it simply won't happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They may be an abyssal void in terms of young players, and I fully expect to see him playing for Wigan after a couple years obscurity, but kids just don't turn down these kinds of moves.

Young footballers (and most older ones) just aren't very smart, chase a poisoned chalice of club status and employ agents who claw every bit of cash out of these machines. He will be fed the ambitious spiel even though he has little hope of breaking into an absolute trainwreck of a team/club, he will be told he's the next Giggsy I'm sure and other such hysterical bollocks, and sign he most definitely will.

Admittedly there are meritable arguments for him joining a club such as ours at this stage of his career, and ultimately I think it would probably be better for him. But it simply won't happen.

Not really sure your argument stands up to any kind of scrutiny. Over the last few seasons United have played WAY more young players (Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, McTominay, Chong, Pereira, etc) than we have.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Our only realistic chance is he signs for Utd, and we get him on a season-long loan.

We get a promising young player who will get regular 1st team football, whilst United can watch on to see if he adapts and performs in the Premier League. If he turns out to be a bit of a superstar then at least we'll have had the benefit of that for a season, and United will get something closer to a "finished article" in a years time.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

28 appearances by U23s at the Albion last season and they were all Bissouma. I think we're actually more abyssal (kudos for the new word) than Utd for young players.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Would love to have him here but if not sign for Man Utd ASAP so we can move on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would love to have him here but if not sign for Man Utd ASAP so we can move on.

According to today’s Argus we haven’t actually made bids for any players at all as yet, so we need to start before we can move on :smile:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
According to today’s Argus we haven’t actually made bids for any players at all as yet, so we need to start before we can move on :smile:

I remember the NSC-Love-In for Huddersfield a few summers ago as they did their business nice and early in preparation for their first Premier League season. It turns out that the players we were enviously seeing them capture weren’t all that!

Let’s keep our powder dry and have a little patience. We’ve got over 2 months to go.

It’s only 3/4 players we need, hopefully they’ll be top drawers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here