Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If(and it’s a big IF), there has been a bid, the bidding club has surely done it’s due diligence on whether or not the player wants the move?

If there was no interest from Burn, I doubt a bid would have taken place.

I’m not sure that’s always true.

Gonzalez and Nunez both spring to mind.

I think in some cases players are ‘sounded out’ to see if the pursuit is worth it but on other occasions they are happy to try and convince a player after a bid has been accepted.

With the amount of players Newcastle are after and the scatter gun approach they are using I can’t imagine they’ve had the time to sound out every player they are bidding on.

IMO the answer is yes .
a) he has been very good in last 5 games
b) the team is playing the ball a lot quicker out from the back
c) he has conquered his height issue and now looks like a genuine threat.

He stays in the team at the cost of Dunk tho the concept of strongest 11 is a bit outraged when you squad rotation either for fitness, keep people happy or just tactics.

Why are you outraged about the concept of ourr strongest 11 ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Newcastle are clearly currently recruiting for short term survival so as a player whilst they will give you an enhanced contract you know you will very shortly be replaced by a more expensive and permanent signing.

Six months ago Burn and the club may have jumped at this but the last 3 months Burn has developed into a regular starter for us and given Potter the option of playing a top 6 class 3 CB formation when Dunk returns.

I think this will end with Burn getting an increased deal to stay and Newcastle will be sent packing with any further offers

His value to us is higher than Newcastle will offer and history tells us that means the club won’t sell

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Marc Cucurella had a buy out clause. So did Andone.

That’s because it’s a requirement under Spanish law. All footballers under contract to a Spanish club will have a buy out clause.

We don’t have the same law in this country so it’s highly unlikely any of our players will have a buy out clause in their contract, obviously exceptions like Mooy exist but I’d wager they’d be few and far between.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Newcastle are clearly currently recruiting for short term survival so as a player whilst they will give you an enhanced contract you know you will very shortly be replaced by a more expensive and permanent signing.

Six months ago Burn and the club may have jumped at this but the last 3 months Burn has developed into a regular starter for us and given Potter the option of playing a top 6 class 3 CB formation when Dunk returns.

I think this will end with Burn getting an increased deal to stay and Newcastle will be sent packing with any further offers

His value to us is higher than Newcastle will offer and history tells us that means the club won’t sell

I'm not so sure.

Right now Burn is playing brilliantly and he's worth more to us than anyone we could buy for 10 million, also a great professional and character.

But he is 30 next birthday, still means there's a bit of life left in BDB, but there won't likely be another 10 million offer in future, nor a 5 year contract.

What sort of deal and money would we offer him now? I'm guessing Jeddah rovers will offer more?

I do agree though that I don't think his time in their first team will be that long, they'll look to upgrade again in the summer, though the chance to play for your boyhood club is a strong motivation.

Imagine if any of us were given the chance to play for the Albion and come back to Brighton whilst at any other club.

I reckon this might just happen. And the club may we'll see it as decent business given Burns age?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hypothetical

Player A (or B!) is happy at his club with no intention of moving at all. Playing well but not a nailed on starter. Getting ok money but never going to command the big bucks. His agent flirts with Saudi FC "just to see if they're looking for a player in his position?". Local lad perhaps, could make a case, proven at this level etc. Riyadh United bite and check in with the players club. Some paper chat as the story "gets out". Club tell them to do one - because Chop Square City are scum bags and the club want to keep their player. Player and club agree new contract which is extended in return for a higher basic.

Player A gets a pay rise. Saudis chaotic and amusing recruitment continues. Everyone who counts is happy.

Not for a second saying this happened.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

This 🤞🏼

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm not so sure.

Right now Burn is playing brilliantly and he's worth more to us than anyone we could buy for 10 million, also a great professional and character.

But he is 30 next birthday, still means there's a bit of life left in BDB, but there won't likely be another 10 million offer in future, nor a 5 year contract.

What sort of deal and money would we offer him now? I'm guessing Jeddah rovers will offer more?

I do agree though that I don't think his time in their first team will be that long, they'll look to upgrade again in the summer, though the chance to play for your boyhood club is a strong motivation.

Imagine if any of us were given the chance to play for the Albion and come back to Brighton whilst at any other club.

I reckon this might just happen. And the club may we'll see it as decent business given Burns age?

He's younger than Dunk, Duffy & Veltman

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not so sure.

There's more to having footballers than just being able to recoup the money in transfers. Being a football club, we have footballers to hopefully play football. Not to say we won't sell from time to time, but it has to be right for the football club. And what has been proposed so far certainly isn't

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[tweet]1486636328016044039[/tweet]

bloom.PNG

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Typical, he finally has been given a run in his best position and has excelled and the new moneybags want to steal him for 4 months of use after which he will be relegated to the scrap heap as they chase bigger fish.
Have to wait and see if money talks as no doubt he could possibly double his wages which presents something of a conundrum for him

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interested to see how this turns out. You have to assume BDB is really happy where he is, enjoying surely the best season of his entire career. From a purely footballing perspective, it's got to be hard to give that up for a relegation battle and possible Championship football next year. I could imagine Albion being tempted by the fee - but at the same time, BDB has proved a very versatile option and has a good few years in him yet. I'd have thought - good though he is - Duffy is a more likely candidate to be deemed surplus to requirements.

The good thing is, Albion really can't lose. They either spank Newcastle for an outrageous amount or we keep a very decent player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving how all this is master tactician Mr Bloom playing the horse punchers like a fiddle.

Whereas, at best, it's a collaborative effort between him and Barber-out.

But in reality it's far more likely all this praise should actually be given to Barbie.

Oh the humanity.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I would say £12 million with add ons taking it to £15 million would be a fair price and a great deal for all parties.

BHAFC - 300% profit, possibly more depending on add ons. Dunk and Duffy are fit to return.
Newcastle - Get a player in good form playing in one of the best defences in the league.
Dan Burn - Big pay rise and a longer contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

Have we ever had a transfer where the price it would take to accept an offer is leaked? Did that happen in the Ben White saga I can't remember. Seems to be fishing after reading NSC yesterday.

For the record I'd love BDB to stay, I think he adds a hell of a lot to the defence. We pass out quicker when it's him and Webster back there. I don't get the whole, we're safe so let's sell, I think with the way Potter uses his squad means he still has a big role to play to help us finish as high up the table as we can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here