Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dan Burn interview in Newcastle publication

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Dear Dan,

When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in 2000, who could have predicted that the next time Newcastle would be fighting for a cup there, I’d be in the stands, watching my son in those gorgeous black-and-white stripes?

It was only ever going to be this club for you.

After all, you and Jack, your brother, drew teams out of a hat to decide which matches the pair of you would go to with our East Stand season ticket. Tyne-Wear derbies, top-of-the-table clashes and Champions League nights — you saw it all under Sir Bobby Robson.

For your own football journey, first there was Blyth Town — I’m still puzzled you decided to be a keeper — and then Spartans. A left-back to begin with — I suppose you’ve come full circle! — then a centre-half, you won everything going.

Those two years as a junior at Newcastle’s Centre of Excellence coincided with a growth spurt, when you struggled to adapt to your changing body. That letter on Christmas Eve, releasing you as a 14-year-old, was gut-wrenching.

But it never held you back. You made sure you made it.

You pushed trollies at Asda and grafted in non-League with Darlington before Everton and Fulham came calling. For your medical, I told you to “look the part”. In hindsight, perhaps wearing suits might not have been the best idea, seeing as you had to undress about 15 times. Then there was Yeovil — remember son, you’ve already won, and scored, at Wembley — Birmingham and Wigan.

Away from football, you married your childhood sweetheart, Roz, and started a beautiful family, only to move about as far away as possible to Brighton!

When the takeover happened, you told me: “That’s that, Dad. They’re never going to sign Brighton’s Dan Burn.” Then the speculation started and it was unbearable because I so wanted it to be true.

That night you came back, when I was stood alongside you in the boardroom, it moved me to tears. Your debut against Aston Villa topped it. Captaining (briefly) against Brentford was another level still.

That’s before we think about the quarter-final… I was so proud I can barely put it into words.

I still can’t believe I wasn’t there, instead, I was watching from a bar in Spain, but it doesn’t diminish it one bit. Seeing you slalom in from the left and caress the ball in with your right foot, at the Gallowgate End, with a finish Alan Shearer would be proud of — I’ve watched it hundreds of times since and I still can’t quite believe it. That was just so special.

Since then, I find myself driving places and suddenly I have a massive smile on my face because I remember that goal.

Newcastle brought you home and you bloody deserved that chance. You are still the very same lad; the best father, husband, brother and son we could all wish for. Nothing has changed you. You’re still Dan from Blyth, with the same mates who have followed you all the way and everyone can see that.

Your resilience, your perseverance, should be an inspiration to every young kid in the north east. You are no Peter Beardsley, but you proved that sheer determination and hard work can take you far. As our fellow fans sing, “You’ll never, ever beat Dan Burn.”

You are living the dream of so many and you understand that responsibility.

Sat on my shoulders 23 years ago, you were excited and euphoric walking up Wembley Way. This time it’s my turn. In the stands, I’ll be donning your match-worn shirt from the quarter-final, the one you saved especially for me. I’m welling up just thinking about the moment you run out…
That will be my lad, my Dan, on the world stage, showing who he is: a great footballer and an even better bloke.

I wish I could bottle up this feeling I have because it would make me millions if I sold it. I’m so immensely proud of you son.

Love Dad

#NUFC

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
History, I’ll let Newcastle fans get teary eyed. Good luck to him but he’s Toon through and through, so I won’t be shedding any tears. Lovely from his Dad but :shrug:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Lovely, touching letter from a clearly very proud father.

BDB, as far as I'm concerned, did his move the right way. Didn't down tools, didn't sulk. A professional.
He walked in to PBOBE office and made it clear he wanted to leave to go to Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And conveniently on holiday in Dubai when the Geordies were in Saudi when he was making the deal happen ;-)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
*putting aside my utter disdain for the regime*

It seems there are many, many wrong ways for a player to leave a club, but an astonishingly small number of 'right' ways.

BDB surely went and asked for the move, but he didn't make a fuss publicly, he didn't push and weedle for it. He asked, explained why and this club sold him for a decent fee, and gave him our best wishes. Surely this is about as perfect a way to move on as you can get? He didn't go just anywhere for cash, he hasn't ended up somewhere he didn't really want to be.

He's gone to his boyhood club, he's literally living out the thing that most of us dream about. I know he isn't a Brighton player anymore, but he was great for us and always comes across as a really nice guy. I'm so pleased for him and his family.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are some right misery guts posting here. In spite of my disdain for the regime takeover, I am able to separate Dan Burn from that mess. He is a player that perhaps, would have ended up there in any case, I am delighted for the lad and am pleased we were part of his journey. That letter was very lovely from his father.

Good luck to you BDB, I will never forget the moment you scored the winning goal against Man City. You were an outstanding player for us and by the sounds of it an outstanding bloke off the pitch as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here