Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth’s thoughts on our transfer window

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
DA said pretty much what there is to say.

Not that some cares what TB, PB, DA or GP says, bedwetting hysteria and rage over the lack of investment are going to continue. Was surprised to see Newcastle fans cheer over the Saudi takeover (that never happened) but its very clear it would be the exact same thing here. People dont dare to say it directly but they are clearly not happy with TB's ownership and would much prefer a Chinese, Russian or Arab oligarch to take over. Sad really, but not unexpected. PL corrupts the soul.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If unacceptable either stump up the money or support another team

Problem is you can't.

I've changed country, job, house and even wife.

But the only true. "for better or for worse, for richer or poorer" one and only true love, is the Albion.

p.s please doubt tell her, she'll kill me!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
If Maupay is injured for any length of time we are in serious trouble!!

I cannot believe he does not realise that.

I cannot believe you believe he does not realise that.
Of course he does !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Correct.

Not that some cares what TB, PB, DA or GP says, bedwetting hysteria and rage over the lack of investment are going to continue.

Correct.

Was surprised to see Newcastle fans cheer over the Saudi takeover (that never happened) but its very clear it would be the exact same thing here. People dont dare to say it directly but they are clearly not happy with TB's ownership and would much prefer a Chinese, Russian or Arab oligarch to take over. Sad really, but not unexpected. PL corrupts the soul.

100% incorrect. Again, I'll let you off because you are not from round here :) and don't know the history and depth of feeling for our owner, nor the depth of his pockets.

People on here love Bloom. Every Brighton fan loves Bloom. But many on here either want to spend his money for him, do not understand the complexities of a normal transfer window, let alone a Covid one, do not understand a coach's desire to coach or all three. Mostly it's all three.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Not that some cares what TB, PB, DA or GP says, bedwetting hysteria and rage over the lack of investment are going to continue. Was surprised to see Newcastle fans cheer over the Saudi takeover (that never happened) but its very clear it would be the exact same thing here. People dont dare to say it directly but they are clearly not happy with TB's ownership and would much prefer a Chinese, Russian or Arab oligarch to take over. Sad really, but not unexpected. PL corrupts the soul.

Why don't you think before you write, and speak from your mouth rather than your arse.

Start a poll, you'll see what utter dog shit this is.

I'd be gobsmacked if even 5% would swap lifelong fan and the man that got us here and bankrolled everything from Stadium, training ground, academy, squad and losses. Tony Bloom is one of us, we love him, he's a Brighton legend.

You really think frustrated at squad depth that makes some worried about chances = bin our fan/chairman/saviour?

Staggeringly stupid assertion again. You know little about Brighton fans.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I understand it’s long term but surely any money spent in the current situation calls for it to be spent on keeping us in the division. Not to spend £10 mill on players only to send them back to their clubs. How does that help our finances in the current situation?

A Presumably we wont be paying their wages.
B They might be better players in the New year. Meaning they are worth more money.
C It also convinces the players that have the shirt at the moment, they better be good. Or they are stuffed.
D Its quite unlikely that both players will be useless.
F So a good bit of business, one would think.

One other point. Its very likely to be wages would be the stumbling point. Rather than the fee involved.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
He has a strange way of showing it!!

A bit of honesty goes a long way

You wont ever get the whole truth from these people. They get to the top by not giving anything away.

Bye the way Frank, i do think you have a good point and agree wholeheartedly with you.

I would suggest Its just not going to happen. The way we would like.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Problem is you can't.

I've changed country, job, house and even wife.

But the only true. "for better or for worse, for richer or poorer" one and only true love, is the Albion.

p.s please doubt tell her, she'll kill me!

Has anyone told your wife that you've changed her PW?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Why don't you think before you write, and speak from your mouth rather than your arse.

Start a poll, you'll see what utter dog shit this is.

I'd be gobsmacked if even 5% would swap lifelong fan and the man that got us here and bankrolled everything from Stadium, training ground, academy, squad and losses. Tony Bloom is one of us, we love him, he's a Brighton legend.

You really think frustrated at squad depth that makes some worried about chances = bin our fan/chairman/saviour?

Staggeringly stupid assertion again. You know little about Brighton fans.

For once I was the polite one :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
100% incorrect. Again, I'll let you off because you are not from round here :) and don't know the history and depth of feeling for our owner, nor the depth of his pockets.

People on here love Bloom. Every Brighton fan loves Bloom. But many on here either want to spend his money for him, do not understand the complexities of a normal transfer window, let alone a Covid one, do not understand a coach's desire to coach or all three. Mostly it's all three.

In every sensible world it would be 100% incorrect, that is correct. And no one is going to admit to themselves and even less so to others that they are not happy with how TB is running the club. Its taboo.

But the posters who continue to moan about the lack of investment, about the "we havent signed a good striker in 30 years!!!!!", "you said you want us to turn into a top 10 club - DO SOMETHING THEN" and all the other nonsense - they are indirectly saying: sorry, Tony Bloom is just not rich and clever enough and the club would be better off with Abdullah-Chen Rockefellerovich.

Saying "I believe in Tony Bloom and appreciate him" while in the next sentence indirectly bashing him and his work, day out and day in becomes a silly. Cant have the cake and eat it too.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He has a strange way of showing it!!

A bit of honesty goes a long way

What does honesty have to do with it?

We would be in serious trouble, if we lost Maupay to long term injury.
We would also be in serious trouble if we lost Dunk, Ryan,Bissouma, Lamptey, Trossard or Alzate.

It's the same for most of the other 14 clubs in the Prem.
Everyone takes that as a given.

There are posters on here who think that we are certain relegation candidates if we lost Maupay for the season.
He is saying that he doesn't think that's the case.

Hopefully we don't have to prove it one way or another.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A good squad, but a desperate lack of strikers.

When we look at the signing of £28m signing Ollie Watkins, who instantly banged in 3 against Liverpool, it does feel like we are a little behind. We have brought in Zeqiri though and I trust that Potter believes he has potential. He is the height option up front we need. Just have to see how it pans out.

Gone are the days of bringing in the has beens, wannabes, crocked and donkeys to make up the numbers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yet again, the club are muddying the waters of what a forward is.

Strikers or centre forwards are central and normally operate on the shoulder of the last man and in or around the 6 yard box. We have three players who can do this, Maupay clearly being the main man.

Strikers:
Maupay
Connolly
Zeqiri

If you look at our 3-4-3 formation, you then have to consider players who can play either side of a striker in the attacking line. We then have more options than perhaps Dan menttioned:

Forwards:
Maupay
Connolly
Zeqiri
Jahanbakhsh
Troßard
Groß
Izquierdo
March
Mac Allister

To those claiming that Jahanbakhsh is not a forward, they are wrong. He scored his record braking amount of goals in the Eredivisie from the same position Salah plays for Liverpool in a front 3. Izquierdo played in Mane’s position in Belgium.

I’d still like a bit of height, power and experience in our forward line and there are a few Championship players or free agents who could fill that role on a short term basis before Andone possibly returns.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In every sensible world it would be 100% incorrect, that is correct. And no one is going to admit to themselves and even less so to others that they are not happy with how TB is running the club. Its taboo.

But the posters who continue to moan about the lack of investment, about the "we havent signed a good striker in 30 years!!!!!", "you said you want us to turn into a top 10 club - DO SOMETHING THEN" and all the other nonsense - they are indirectly saying: sorry, Tony Bloom is just not rich and clever enough and the club would be better off with Abdullah-Chen Rockefellerovich.

Saying "I believe in Tony Bloom and appreciate him" while in the next sentence indirectly bashing him and his work, day out and day in becomes a silly. Cant have the cake and eat it too.

Again, absolutely no one wants to replace Bloom with a dodgy but rich foreign owner. No one. He's said the club will stay in his family and I believe him.

That does not put him beyond criticism. If you were to see posts on here, on my old blog and other blogs and in the TSLR fanzine and We Are Brighton from when Hyypia was manager and Burke was in charge of recruitment, and we were nearly going down from the Championship lead by the likes of Gary Gardener, you'll see bed wetting on a scale the current posts can only dream of. I even thought Barber was a wrong 'un for a while. But nowhere there will you see anyone suggesting Bloom should leave the club, Only that he got a couple of key appointments wrong. People do, from time to time.

I actually think you'd see this place explode if Bloom went to sell to the Chinese or something. Not that he would. But that doesn't mean people can't have an opinion on player recuitment, even if that opinion comes from ignorance.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We lost £20m in 2018/19, an esimated £30m in 2019/20 and if no matches take place in front of a paying audience it will be £40m this season.

If you ignore those facts then it was perhaps a disappointing answer from Dan Ashworth.

If you take them into consideration what he said seemed measured and reasonable. Finding 20 goal a season PL strikers is tough, risky and very expensive.

Our defence this season with in theory two additions in Lamptey and White, both of whom are effective newcomers, should be a step up on last season but we are shipping goals, as are many other clubs.

Up front it is clear that GP is not keen on a big striker, Glenn Murray was first of all given a new contract for 2020/21 and then shipped out as his strengths aren't met by Potterball and vice versa.

I'd add that 20 goal a season strikers would probably end up elsewhere anyway. Hence the search for a player of potential.

Yet, still, some folk see Tony Bloom as a parent who they can keep demanding from. I thought NSC folk were generally older and wiser than that.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Big fan of Ashworth, Bloom, Barber, Potter. I love how the club is run and the investment in the future.

I definitely think we missed out on Nunez (and I'm sure a few others). It seemed to be confirmed, in the initial part of the window, that we were looking for a LWB and striker.

But then there was the COVID spike and subsequent restriction to 6 person gatherings, and halt to the progress we were spearheading in bringing crowds back.
I think that's the point we changed our recruitment strategy (financially).

Regardless, I do feel the senior team is now a bit thin at the moment.

Of course there is the striker debate but I'm more surprised by the lack of alts / back-ups to the wing-backs.
I get that we can change formation but I think we've been at our most devastating in the wing-back formation, with Lamptey and Solly March.
We've run teams ragged and broken through to create a LOT more chances in the final third (a real issue last season).

We let go of players who could fill in / offer competition for those roles - Montoya, Schelotto, Bong.
Shame the Sessegnon loan didn't come through...

Let's hope we are as lucky with injuries this year as we were last season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would disagree. The amount of people on here moaning over how the club is run kind of dismantles your argument. Fortunately NSC is a very narrow-minded small section of Brighton fans and probably the most hysterical.

Have you read the Argus comments section?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here