Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think Dunk, Bissouma, Scheletto and Burn play with real heart. Not so sure about the rest of the squad

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Ryan does too.

Propper was awful today, Mooy has gone down hill since we signed him permanently, Maupay just cut a frustrated figure who was never going to score today, Trossard can't be bothered full stop. Murray can't believe his luck that we're too tight to sign a striker who's actually quick and strong. Webster has never settled IMO and Duffy, who would have given a body part for Hughton, just wants to get pissed.

Oh - and Jahanbakhsh, to give him real credit, looks like he cares and is a different player to last season - so obviously doesn't get to start.

But I think there is a more obvious sign of trouble. At the start of the season these players looked like they were really enjoying their football again. That joie de vivre is completely gone.

So why Ashworth? I've alluded to this several times. I think he is undermining everything at the club. Who is in charge of recruitment? Is it him, Winstanly or the bloke Potter insisted got brought in? Who is in charge of the first team? There was that quote in The Athletic that he even gets involved in the first team selection and he and Potter don't always agree. Where was MacAllister today? Why have we not brought Alzate on who looks like he, too, might just care. When you have a senior manager who has taken previously powerful people and usurped just a little power for him or her self it never, ever works in business.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Who plays £500k to bring back a (your own) player from loan and not even include him a matchday squad?!
Why did the club not recruit another striker in the Jan window? We should have the lessons from last season.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO Mr Ashworth is good with younger players that are not just there at the moment.The issue is we need players that are ready,as we just don’t have that luxury ,in our position.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really? First half especially he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time.

I thought he was decent, too. Seems to be quick to cover Zaha and dispossess or keep him contained and allowed someone else to dispossess him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
One of the lowest budgets in the PL, this plan that we will be successful on the cheap is bollocks. Stop blaming players, staff etc the side has no real quality. We should of won today with all the chances created. What do people expect Potter to do play a ball playing style with some of the dross we have? I would of fancied my chances putting away the March chance.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Ryan does too.

Propper was awful today, Mooy has gone down hill since we signed him permanently, Maupay just cut a frustrated figure who was never going to score today, Trossard can't be bothered full stop. Murray can't believe his luck that we're too tight to sign a striker who's actually quick and strong. Webster has never settled IMO and Duffy, who would have given a body part for Hughton, just wants to get pissed.

Oh - and Jahanbakhsh, to give him real credit, looks like he cares and is a different player to last season - so obviously doesn't get to start.

But I think there is a more obvious sign of trouble. At the start of the season these players looked like they were really enjoying their football again. That joie de vivre is completely gone.

So why Ashworth? I've alluded to this several times. I think he is undermining everything at the club. Who is in charge of recruitment? Is it him, Winstanly or the bloke Potter insisted got brought in? Who is in charge of the first team? There was that quote in The Athletic that he even gets involved in the first team selection and he and Potter don't always agree. Where was MacAllister today? Why have we not brought Alzate on who looks like he, too, might just care. When you have a senior manager who has taken previously powerful people and usurped just a little power for him or her self it never, ever works in business.

Totally agree other than I thought Propper was decent.... or trying to be. Ashworh's only value is to steer young English talent this way. Its just so embarrissing that no one can shoot on target with power,no one has pace, except maybe big Dan.
We end up playing Trossard and Mooy who are totally out of form. We play out from the back, find Montoya in the oppo's half and guess what? square ball in side, or backpass. There is no wing threat for him to play foward. There is no pace. Quit frankly for the first time since Hippya I'm really concerned.:down:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Ryan does too.

You are so right - I have seen eimilar situations many times. When someone like Ashworth has too much influence, it takes away from the manager. This must come across in motivation and body language, etc. I have never been a fan of the modern trend for having Directors of Football, especially if they are not with the manager's personal blessing. It is the manager who will achieve success or failure, but he cant do it if he is undermined. Imagine Biran Clough working with a Director of Football; I venture to say neither Derby or Forest would have had the success they did.

Thinking back, Poyet started to get fed up when a DIrector of Football and a powerful CEO came to the club.I am not saying these positions should not exist, but previously Poyet called all of the shots on the footballing side of things, and even appointed the Chief Scout. I wonder what different outcome there would have been if we had kept him happy.

This needs clear thinking. A good manager can bring success to an unfashionable football club (e.g. Wilder, Howe), but the odds are heavily agaist that if he is undermined by powerful, egotisitical characters behind the scenes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is a long legacy problem of poor recruitment that cannot be laid at DA's door. Rome and a day and all that. DA mentioned that relegation was a possibility on the long road to top 10 when it was announced. And relegation may be less of a setback than appears if it means we can bounce back with some newer players and a more coherent style.

Surely it’s easier to build a Premier League squad when you’re in the Premier League, rather than getting relegated, rebuilding, hoping to get promoted again and then building a Premier League squad?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
One of the lowest budgets in the PL, this plan that we will be successful on the cheap is bollocks. Stop blaming players, staff etc the side has no real quality. We should of won today with all the chances created. What do people expect Potter to do play a ball playing style with some of the dross we have? I would of fancied my chances putting away the March chance.

HAVE

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hard to see what Dan Ashworth brings to the party to be honest. Just one more layer of admin sticking their oar in, and further diluting focus on the core activity that keeps this whole holistic show on the road ie. maintaining the club's Premier League status. Love it or loathe it, it's the only game in town

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Totally agree other than I thought Propper was decent.... or trying to be. Ashworh's only value is to steer young English talent this way. Its just so embarrissing that no one can shoot on target with power,no one has pace, except maybe big Dan.
We end up playing Trossard and Mooy who are totally out of form. We play out from the back, find Montoya in the oppo's half and guess what? square ball in side, or backpass. There is no wing threat for him to play foward. There is no pace. Quit frankly for the first time since Hippya I'm really concerned.:down:

Try https://www.grammarly.com/ :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the issue is we don't stick to the same 11 so nobody gets used to how they should play as positions keep changing.
No, for me the issue is that we jizzed £20m on a centre back who is not a clear upgrade on what we already had. Meanwhile, we let two strikers depart (one was a nob, the other not fit for purpose) which left us relying on an 84 year club legend to score our goals.

All of those decisions are the result of, or examples of truly crap recruitment. Far more of an issue than our current manager imo, who would look like a magician if we had just one more competent goal scorer to put away the chances we create.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Surely it’s easier to build a Premier League squad when you’re in the Premier League, rather than getting relegated, rebuilding, hoping to get promoted again and then building a Premier League squad?

Maybe, but look at West Brom. And it is not as discrete a process as you imply. Look at Sheff U; promoted but play a number of players that featured last season and cleverly grafted new players into the system. They have evolved in a way that Brighton have not. Sure, it fails often too (Norwich) but so does balls out buying a PL squad when you do get promoted (Fulham and, possibly, Villa).

The issue for Albion is knowing who the best players even are; thus we get the current merry go round of match day selection. I don't blame GP for that; it is a function of not having stand out 'automatically selected if fit' players anywhere on pitch (exceptions Ryan & Dunk). Rotation is fine but Brighton don't rotate because they have no starting point to rotate from. I cant see an end to this in PL any time soon; contracts are too long, so we will make do and mend with what we have and doubtless struggle again. It is ceasing to be fun.

It will be an issue in the Championship too, but it seems easier then to clear out and start afresh. I don't want relegation but there is a chance that it might work better over a 2-3 season view.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hard to see what Dan Ashworth brings to the party to be honest. Just one more layer of admin sticking their oar in, and further diluting focus on the core activity that keeps this whole holistic show on the road ie. maintaining the club's Premier League status. Love it or loathe it, it's the only game in town

What structure would you have then ? Modern football needs this kind of role. Look at Man Utd, they don’t and have a CEO / businessman running the football transfer side of things too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here