Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Is he the problem?

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Have a read of how Dan Ashworth describes his role as Technical Director:

“It’s a model that is very common in Europe,” Ashworth says. “I don’t like hierarchical structures, so I always draw it that the TD [technical director] sits in the middle of the wheel and on the outside of the wheel is the head of each department.

“History will tell you the one you are most likely to lose is the head coach or manager. The average lifespan is something like 14 months.

”So if, every 14 months, you are fundamentally changing what the club believes in and how you are developing your young players, how you are working with the players that are out on loan, you’ve got no consistency and no chance of joining everything up from a long-term point of view.

“Historically, certainly in this country, it was more that the manager would choose the head coach, youth-team coach, reserves coach, head of recruitment, physio.

“Consequently, you’ve got wholesale changes when that doesn’t work — or does work, and they go on to bigger and better things — rather than just tweaking and changing one or two heads of department, which is what you would do in any other business.”

It's pretty evident to me that if Potter was to go, not much would change? The philosophy is driven by Ashworth so imo, if anyone is to be sacked by TB, he should be the one to go.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The philosophy is driven by Tony Bloom

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He certainly has some of the responsibility for the current situation.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s either Dan Ashworth or A.N Other or Paul Barber running the football operational side....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't like the role at all and I think it did for Hughton. I've worked a lot in senior management and change or new positions at that level tend to unsettle the incumbent.

That said, I agree it is Tony's (current) vision so not much will change.

Positioning yourself at "the centre of the wheel" is another way of not taking responsibility, which is a bit shit when the story doing the rounds is that Ashworth recommended Potter to TB after the Swansea / Man City cup game.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
When he joined he said it was his job to keep the manager in his job. Almost immediately Hughton when barmy. Then Hughton got sacked. Now Potter looks like he has forgotten how to manage. It's something. Something at the club isn't quite right. But, it's probably just not having a top class striker.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Never said he was, just stating that this is Tony Blooms set up for good or bad (personally for me I don’t have an issue with it)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The truth is none of us on the outside can see clearly enough what Ashworth actually does to see whether he's doing it well or not, be able to apportion any blame.

You may as well start a thread blaming the physio

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ashworth is the crux of the problem. Potter is his suggestion. Both need to go. Ashworth is a JCL with no idea how to operate a club of our structure. Failure at West Brom, failure at Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought football was a results driven business.
We are going exactly the same way as Swansea, who tried to build on a philosophy of attractive football. A succession of managers were encouraged to play the same way...Rodgers...Martinez etc. It lasted 6-7 years but clubs like Swansea and Brighton can never keep pace with the recruitment quality required to maintain that style. Eventually, it catches up with you. Swansea, thus far, have not recovered their position.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So was Hyppia's appointment, I love the guy but he's not infallible

TB thought Sammy Lee was coming in as well. His late decision to pull out exposed and weakened Hyppia's position. He also thought that Hyppia would use extensive contacts to bring in Liverpool and German players. That didn't really happen either.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ashworth is the crux of the problem. Potter is his suggestion. Both need to go. Ashworth is a JCL with no idea how to operate a club of our structure. Failure at West Brom, failure at Brighton

Ashworth was so poorly regarded for the job he did at WBA that he was headhunted by England....

He may or may not be doing a shit job but there is no doubt he was a real coup for the club when he was appointed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ashworth was so poorly regarded for the job he did at WBA that he was headhunted by England....

He may or may not be doing a shit job but there is no doubt he was a real coup for the club when he was appointed.

You don't get headhunted by England. You end up there.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

He has gambled and left a PL side in the hands of a rookie manager. A manager with no real pedigree. No real experience. A decision based on a fairly flimsy judgement call. A hunch. Mediocre Swedish football and one moderate season in the Championship. Its hardly an impressive cv.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

How was he a failure at West Brom? He took over as director of Football in Dec 2007 they got promoted to the PL, relegated but promoted straight back up again where they finished 11th and 10th before he left for the role with the FA.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Southgate is the manager of England and Aidy Boothroyd is in charge of the U21s

Both failed to differing degrees at club level, they were headhunted by England.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Whoever decided to play a disorganised 5-5-0 tonight is to blame imho.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Dan Ashworth is part of a much bigger picture which Bloom and Barber have spent years defining and building. Ashworth has great pedigree and I hope he and Potter get many years to build this project together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here