Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm no Stephens apologist.

The fact that he clearly doesn't have a ready made replacement in the squad needs addressing.
Obviously that replacement needs to be an upgrade, but for me that upgrade needs to be a player who moves the ball on faster.

I'd want him (or her!) to do Stephens job in exactly the same manner, but without the third and even fourth touch of the ball before doing so.
With an outlet pass to whom, exactly?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The fact that he clearly doesn't have a ready made replacement in the squad needs addressing.
Obviously that replacement needs to be an upgrade, but for me that upgrade needs to be a player who moves the ball on faster.

I'd want him (or her!) to do Stephens job in exactly the same manner, but without the third and even fourth touch of the ball before doing so.

Agree 100% would love him to push on and be that player as he came up with us but if not agree a summer upgrade would add another dimension. Worth retaining as proved can do a job at this level but an area where we need an extra bit of quality.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

For much of this season, many, many supporters have been crying from the roofs to push the ball forward, yesterday in the first half being a classic example. Get the ball, play it back, from the oppo's 18 yard area all the way back to Matty Ryan and it is no coincidence we get extremely frustrated, and the orchestrator of this, whether or not he is put in that position is Dale Stephens. On top of that, because of his deeper position, giving away lazy passes leaves us totally exposed, and I can understand criticism of him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With an outlet pass to whom, exactly?

The point I made this morning.

But 'the' pass gets harder to find the longer he takes looking for it.
Forgive the analogy but Stephens is the quarterback who just won't throw (kick) the ball.

Then every once in a while, like the second half yesterday, he seems to think 'ah f**k it, I'm just going to go for it'.

As said I don't want his update to do anything different. just do it quicker, more often.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The point I made this morning.

But 'the' pass gets harder to find the longer he takes looking for it.
Forgive the analogy but Stephens is the quarterback who just won't throw (kick) the ball.

Then every once in a while, like the second half yesterday, he seems to think 'ah f**k it, I'm just going to go for it'.

As said I don't want his update to do anything different. just do it quicker, more often.
Imho we have far more pressing personnel issues than PL standard Stephens. Some well regarded (by some fans) players' movement and skill is significantly over rated.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Was that the post red card 3 game period where we amassed 7 points and started a down turn when he returned?

What great results or runs we had with him in the team? Yes we had some great results, Palace probably being the best but two of those games were against 10 men teams, one of them being Huddersfield and we still conceded in all the games he was gone. I get both sides of the argument, he can be frustrating when he chooses to play sideways or backwards. He is the maestro at times though, I think he goes under the radar, he nicks the ball and is often in right place at the right time and calms things down. The fact when he is available, other than Ryan, he is the first name on the team sheet says alot.

Chris was a defender at the highest level himself so Im sure he appreciates what Dale is about, and also probably why we do play so defensive at times.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
His role yesterday was to clearly make sure we kept a clean sheet - he did this - though twice gave ball away leading to fast breaks against us

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Comfortably man of the match. Breaks up attacks, the pivot in front of our defence with Huddersfield camped in their own half. When it's 2 banks of 4 to break down, what's the point of hitting aimless passes and conceding possession? You need to move the opposition from side to side and look for gaps. In the end, we found one and scored.

Just unreal what game some people watch . Propper Duffy andone knockeart Bernardo all far better
Said before Bong March Stephens locadia not good enough . The fact finally three of them not in the starting line up should b no surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MotM yesterday by some distance.

Wow. This is some statement. Personally I thought he was one of the weaker players. Pröpper or Jahanbakhsh as MOTM. Football really is a game of opinions.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is still a question mark about Stephens against the better sides in this division but in a must win game yesterday he was the dominant midfielder.

I think Propper is a better player but Stephens had a bit of the dog about him yesterday - you need that in a scrap.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
if we are able to stay up to avoid another relegation battle surely some of these players that people defend should be replaced. Our defence will be ok if not brilliant in places, Assume ,. we will be after a striker to push Androne Apart from that are we realy wanting another season with Stevens Propper and Gross in midfield. .. Would hope Bissouma will be first choice next year Would hope our other signing is someone that offers a more all round game then Stevens

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if we are able to stay up to avoid another relegation battle surely some of these players that people defend should be replaced. Our defence will be ok if not brilliant in places, Assume ,. we will be after a striker to push Androne Apart from that are we realy wanting another season with Stevens Propper and Gross in midfield. .. Would hope Bissouma will be first choice next year Would hope our other signing is someone that offers a more all round game then Stevens

I raised similar in another thread. Groß and Pröpper both have qualities I like so I’d keep both. I would upgrade Stephens and also Duffy. Add a striker, a right back and I think we’re done.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Just unreal what game some people watch . Propper Duffy andone knockeart Bernardo all far better
Said before Bong March Stephens locadia not good enough . The fact finally three of them not in the starting line up should b no surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the Sky highlights from yesterday. Tony Gale twice singled Stephens out as the key player for us in the second half. Still, I’m sure you’re right :ffsparr:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I raised similar in another thread. Groß and Pröpper both have qualities I like so I’d keep both. I would upgrade Stephens and also Duffy. Add a striker, a right back and I think we’re done.

The man that gets on every corner we have and clears anything coming high in the box the other end?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Our priority in the Prem is surivival so beating those teams at the bottom of the table is key. Yesterday showed the value of having Stephens in our squad and we will need him next season too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The man that gets on every corner we have and clears anything coming high in the box the other end?

I totally agree he’s good at the aerial stuff. But he has limitations with the rest of his game. And as I said in my other post, far too many times Dunk and Duffy are out-manoeuvred, left flat-footed or left literally on their arses when the ball is on the deck. We ship way too many goals this way. Something has to change if we are to move forward so out of the two I’d upgrade Duffy. I think I’m being fair and constructive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here