Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale stephens

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Contract/no contract,every player we have is only a phone call from being sold !.....and if don't get promotion,there will be lots of phone calls ! TB ,IMO has shown great strength this season,in not selling,but even he cannot fight the natural fed chain of player aspirations .Next summer will prove very busy........ (perhaps CH thinks DS can be replaced in whatever league we are in )

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I really rate Stephens but I think the majority of Clarets fans - IF we stay up - are hoping for higher quality midfielders to be signed in the summer - not Championship players like Hendrick and Stephens.

It would be ironic if he did not want to stay with the newly-promoted Seagulls and then no other PL team came in for his services (perhaps he will be playing for someone like Villa in the Championship next season).

With our most reliable midfielder Marney injured and out for the season, Stephens would have been perfect for us for the next 4 months, but he will be celebrating promotion with the Seagulls in May - albeit with slightly mixed feelings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really rate Stephens but I think the majority of Clarets fans - IF we stay up - are hoping for higher quality midfielders to be signed in the summer - not Championship players like Hendrick and Stephens.

It would be ironic if he did not want to stay with the newly-promoted Seagulls and then no other PL team came in for his services (perhaps he will be playing for someone like Villa in the Championship next season).

With our most reliable midfielder Marney injured and out for the season, Stephens would have been perfect for us for the next 4 months, but he will be celebrating promotion with the Seagulls in May - albeit with slightly mixed feelings.
DS to me is a little bit of a oddity.

We all know he's good, (in the interests of full disclosure I was one of the last on that bus), you only have to look at the Albion's record when he's not playing to see that.

I'd imagine, if such a thing existed, his pre-assist assist stat would be very high.
But his goal scoring and actual assist record is, in my opinion, very low.

DS has been slowly removed from all dead ball situations, and nobody has batted an eyelid.

I do wonder if the solidity he provides is 'sexy' enough for the big money Premier League contract, elsewhere.
Esp when considering what his value now, and going forward, is to the Albion

If he'd developed into a double figure goal scoring, box to box midfielder, in the smaller mold of Fat Frank, DS would have left a long time ago to a club considerably bigger than Burnley.

It would be ironic if he did not want to stay with the newly-promoted Seagulls and then no other PL team came in for his services (perhaps he will be playing for someone like Villa in the Championship next season). is the sentence that's bought this on.

If next season Brighton were playing some teams far far superior, DS would be a massive asset in the games that could get out of hand.

But his skills would be absolutely invaluable to the likes of a Derby, Villa, Norwich etc.

Oh and if this entire board doesn't have big money of Stephens scoring v Huddersfield, then you're all bigger fookin idiots than I am, for writing such blasphemy.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
DS to me is a little bit of a oddity.

If he'd developed into a double figure goal scoring, box to box midfielder, in the smaller mold of Fat Frank, DS would have left a long time ago to a club considerably bigger than Burnley.

That's not Dale's game. He is a ''distributor'' He doesn't have the engine to be box to box.

Premier clubs pay fortunes to find these players abroad and they find them there because the style of play in foreign leagues attracts lots of them. Dale gets overlooked by Most Premier League clubs solely because he has had past injuries and he is untested I a top league in any country around the world.

Having played in a top league in Europe is always what teams look for. I recall someone saying something about Dimitar Berbatov once. If he hadn't played in the Bundislege he would never have been signed by Spurs.

So I think Stephens has gone under the radar a bit of most Premier League Clubs except Burnley. I just have a feeling that come the end of the season he will think differently and end up playing with Brighton in the PL

Camship

Sep 16, 2012
Honestly love the guy, think he's so good. More people seem to appreciate this now but generally over the last few years he has been criminally underrated by most fans. Completely disagree with those who seem indifferent as to whether he would stay if we went up thinking we could do better, in my opinion he would still be very good and crucial to us even in the premier league. I'd be devastated if he did end up leaving.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's not Dale's game. He is a ''distributor'' He doesn't have the engine to be box to box.

Premier clubs pay fortunes to find these players abroad and they find them there because the style of play in foreign leagues attracts lots of them. Dale gets overlooked by Most Premier League clubs solely because he has had past injuries and he is untested I a top league in any country around the world.

Having played in a top league in Europe is always what teams look for. I recall someone saying something about Dimitar Berbatov once. If he hadn't played in the Bundislege he would never have been signed by Spurs.

So I think Stephens has gone under the radar a bit of most Premier League Clubs except Burnley. I just have a feeling that come the end of the season he will think differently and end up playing with Brighton in the PL

Come on Noo a feeling or do you know?! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I hope he does.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I hope that you are right because he is vital to us in the way that he plays. I actually had a chap sitting behind me at the Cardiff game slating him and saying get him off Hughton totally unbelievable.

Camship

Sep 16, 2012
I hope that you are right because he is vital to us in the way that he plays. I actually had a chap sitting behind me at the Cardiff game slating him and saying get him off Hughton totally unbelievable.

I remember during Fulham at home people near me and on twitter were calling for him to be dropped, sold or even left to 'rot in the reserves' after one slightly below par half because he "clearly doesn't want to be here", "doesn't care about the club" or was "trying to force a move". Some people.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
cough *Palace* cough
:shootself:

Looking as if the current Premier League is how it ends

If you're looking as if the current Premier League is how it's ends, palace would no longer be the Premier League club that DS rightly craves.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Honestly love the guy, think he's so good. More people seem to appreciate this now but generally over the last few years he has been criminally underrated by most fans. Completely disagree with those who seem indifferent as to whether he would stay if we went up thinking we could do better, in my opinion he would still be very good and crucial to us even in the premier league. I'd be devastated if he did end up leaving.

Would be just as important in a potential PL survival season as he is pushing for Championship promotion.

He is one of a few players that I believe would have absolutely no trouble adjusting up there, and he knows it too.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He doesn't know.

Correct - Of course I don't know : Triggaaar is right

I don't think even Stephens knows yet himself.

I am just putting circumstances together and coming to my conclusion

1. We look like we will be promoted

2. He wants to play in the PL

3. None of the really bigger sides are likely to come in for him, otherwise they would have done so already

4. Point 3 being the case who else is going to give him the option to play there and when we are there we can probably offer him the type of contract he is after or at least match any club who might look at him would be willing to

5. And finally based on past performances and built up goodwill - He knows how highly this manager thinks of him and there is no guarantee of obtaining that if he moves elsewhere.

All that put together then its hardly surprising I came to the conclusion I have on him.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think an agreement to leave at the end of the season has been made but with all the furore with being promoted and the camaraderie etc. he could change his mind, better the devil you know.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Don't think there needs to be an agreement as he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Correct - Of course I don't know : Triggaaar is right

I don't think even Stephens knows yet himself.

I am just putting circumstances together and coming to my conclusion

1. We look like we will be promoted

2. He wants to play in the PL

3. None of the really bigger sides are likely to come in for him, otherwise they would have done so already

4. Point 3 being the case who else is going to give him the option to play there and when we are there we can probably offer him the type of contract he is after or at least match any club who might look at him would be willing to

5. And finally based on past performances and built up goodwill - He knows how highly this manager thinks of him and there is no guarantee of obtaining that if he moves elsewhere.

All that put together then its hardly surprising I came to the conclusion I have on him.

6. He seems as integrated into the team as any other player and appears to be loving the team spirit (looking at goal celebrations and the lifting of Knockeart's shirt).

7. He has the perfect foil in Kayal. Would he find a player he plays better with in another team? Like us, he must be keen on seeing how well the Kayal-Stephens partnership would do in the Premier League.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember during Fulham at home people near me and on twitter were calling for him to be dropped, sold or even left to 'rot in the reserves' after one slightly below par half because he "clearly doesn't want to be here", "doesn't care about the club" or was "trying to force a move". Some people.

Some of our fans haven't got a clue. On Tuesday a bloke behind me sais Stockdale's second finger tip save was purely for the fans. He didn't need to theatrically jump, so was just for show. His two mates agreed with him.
People big themselves up with their opinions, which have nothing to do with facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here