Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Daily steps counting

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, not the pop megastars who amazed the world with their cover of 'Tragedy'.

Do you use a device to count your steps daily and does it make a difference to your behaviour in any way?

iPhones have done it via the native Health app, but I don't look at that from one month to the next. However, now I'm wearing a fitness watch thingummy, that does it automatically, I've started to take an interest.

I'm an absolute sucker for the gamification of things which couldn't be better illustrated than me walking round and round the house for 15 minutes at 11pm last night to get to my daily steps target.

It has made me aware of what a largely sedentary lifestyle I have on days where I don't go out for a run and has encouraged me to walk where, previously, I may not have done so. I'll be interested to see if I stick with the slightly better habits or resort back to being a bit lazier again.

I've got the 'Moves' app, which is pretty good, and it's linked to my life insurance policy, which helps get you rewards, based on the number of steps that you do. To be honest though, my Garmin is linked to it too, and that gains most of the 'points' needed from the runs I do.

It's pretty good though, and you can switch between steps, distance and time walked, I think. And yes, I was walking around late one night recently to get up to the 10,000 threshold. Same as I do on a run, when I normally HAVE to round up to the nearest mile!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
No, not the pop megastars who amazed the world with their cover of 'Tragedy'.

Do you use a device to count your steps daily and does it make a difference to your behaviour in any way?

iPhones have done it via the native Health app, but I don't look at that from one month to the next. However, now I'm wearing a fitness watch thingummy, that does it automatically, I've started to take an interest.

I'm an absolute sucker for the gamification of things which couldn't be better illustrated than me walking round and round the house for 15 minutes at 11pm last night to get to my daily steps target.

It has made me aware of what a largely sedentary lifestyle I have on days where I don't go out for a run and has encouraged me to walk where, previously, I may not have done so. I'll be interested to see if I stick with the slightly better habits or resort back to being a bit lazier again.

I use the pacer app, you can create groups and out pace your friends !

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Much the same as you Bozza try to hit 10k a day so will walk/jog until I hit the target ... on the plus side since I have been doing it almost religiously I have lost 11lbs in two months

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This thread had made me realise I am not a wrongun. I once walked 600 steps doing my teeth at bedtime. It drove my wife nuts but I had to get my 10k.

My Fitbit has made a huge difference. I am reasonably fit but on non running days I was not getting 10k steps. Unless I have a lunchtime meeting I now go for a walk every lunchtime. I aim for about half an hour. I don't listen to my music and just gather my thoughts and it has massively helped my afternoon productivity.

Other things changed
1) I will always walk to town rather than a lazy 1 mile drive
2) I park slightly further from work than I used to and take the stairs to the 9th floor
3) on Thursdays I do the school run and leave 5 mins early and literally run.
4) I have stopped drinking four cups of coffee a day and now have one and my resting pulse has gone from 67 to 56 and my sleep is MUCH better

My seven year old has a step counter and always makes at least 15k so beating him is my mission.

I am attempting to put my resting pulse picture in here.

image.png

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My daughter has just bought herself a fit bit and wore it at the game today. It's really interesting how her heart rate shows on the graph. The highest was when It went up to 138 at the time they had their penalty. You can clearly see the difference between the first and second halves.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm hooked and must do 10000 steps a day but disappointed if it's below 12000. I'm quite fit anyway but it means I can eat what I like. I use phone app and find myself returning to my desk to get my phone, walking round the house last thing at night and doing strange about turns in the middle of the street.
It's a blow when it's raining but doesn't stop me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here