Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hughton wants four 4 first choice central MF in his squad given that arguably thats one of the reasons we didn't go up last year as we didn't have a lot of support for when Kayal was out during our poor run and he's looking to strengthen the squad.
He clearly doesn't rate JFC, Ince, Holla and brought in Sidwell.
The club have turned down several bids for Stephens.
So ideally he wants Sidwell, Kayal, Norwood, *and* Stephens as his 4 choices as he rightly thinks you need that in a 46 game season.

Now if Stephens goes then he has to think again but thats clearly the aim.
If Stephens turned up this morning and said I've had a rethink and want to sign that juicy contract...you think they'd say no ?
You forgot Richie towel . Hughton rates him

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Doesn't really matter what any of us think about Burnley's prospects does it. The player will know what he is to earn in the event of a relegation anyway and you can be sure it'll be substantially more than he is on now regardless of Burnley's relative frugality. And he would be back home (almost.) We might go up this year (about a 29% chance according to the bookies) but if we don't will there be a Premier League club interested in Dale? I hope he stays and signs a new contract (I think there is more chance of this than he runs down the current deal) but wouldn't be at all surprised or resentful if he was keen on the move. I would just really hope that the fee is at least as substantial as these rumours and that we are able to reinvest in the squad in that eventuality.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club don't want to sell so I can't see why they would not 'risk' him, if he gets injured and Burnley are put off, fine.
Exactly.

The club don't want to sell him. No risk at all in playing him more than the usual injury risk.

If Burnley want him before deadline day, let them pay a premium.

If they are desperate on deadline day, let them pay a premium as well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You forgot Richie towel . Hughton rates him
Hughton also explicitly said that Richie Towell wasn't included in the midfield 4 he was talking about retaining, as he can play in other positions as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Barnes definitely wanted to stay, but some of the people at the club at the time mucked him around (and others), and he got fed up (according to his Dad, who I bump into every now and again - only one side of the story, but his dad seems like a genuine bloke).

That ties in with what Barnes said at the time, that he felt he wasn't wanted. It's not the first time the club have messed up with new contracts.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The club don't want to sell so I can't see why they would not 'risk' him, if he gets injured and Burnley are put off, fine.
I see your point, but even if we sell him because he really wants to go, and therefore getting the best deal possible is necessary, that money would be at risk if he was injured. Anyway, my point is simply that his not starting tonight is not necessarily a strong indicator of the outcome. Lets hope he stays, and I would love to see him play tonight, but just don't think he will..

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
SEVEN MILLION!!

If that is true, while is he still here?

He's good but he's not that good. Thanks for the effort Dale, and good luck for the future.

If it was Kayal, then I'd say no deal, but out of the two, Dale is the far more replaceable of the pair.

Get shot now, and it gives us time to get a replacement in, that's if we really need one. Depending how Towell turns out, I think we have enough in that department, with or without Dale

I know where you're coming from but he really is that good, players with the engine that Dale has, accompanied by his endeavour and tackling ability are very hard to find or replace. £7,000,000 if that is the correct fee being negotiated is small change compared with the riches on offer IF we do manage to make the step up. I realise the move up may be his wish but he signed a contract with BHA and should honour that after all he was injured for the best part of a full season while under contract with us so we really didn't have the full value of his services while here and maybe had the injury not happened we wouldn't be having this discussion as I firmly believe with his inclusion our status may be different now, this is especially so concerning the back end of last season.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Danny Taberner
‏@dannytab_13
@8stephens buzzing for u mate! Great move for you pal!! All the best in the premier league

???

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Danny Taberner
‏@dannytab_13
@8stephens buzzing for u mate! Great move for you pal!! All the best in the premier league

???
Just looked at both twitter accounts. Nothing on either?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Let's face it, he's off and good luck to the chap, he's done well for us.

No need to be snidey when he goes.

Whatever the fee is, as an add on, I'd be asking for a large box of tea bags, along with a resident cow for the milk.

Friend

Jul 6, 2016
I say we go for Henri Lansbury as a replacement, considering the money we're getting for Dale if he leaves? experienced, and probably would leave Forest. Unless Hughton thinks Norwood is capable enough to start as a replacement to Dale. I can tell a lot of people really wouldn't agree with me though :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here