[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Agree we would have a better chance WITH, but we didn't go up (whatever the merits of fortune) with him in the side and I also believe he is less effective sans Kayal.

I was his biggest fan last season, but every player has his price and right time to move on. IF he wants to move and money is on the table.......time for all to move on. If he stays, 100% commitment from both player and fans is without saying, essential.

All that said, I really hope he stays.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
TB has been gambling a much bigger cumulative stake than that. I would say this is the strongest hand TB has held for a while, seems like an odd time to fold.

I can't believe we cannot get an equally as good if not better player than Stephens for £7 million, who could be here for the next 2/3 seasons.

If we sell we don't want promotion.

I am convinced of this.

I say we gamble and keep him and if we fail then fine he walks away for free. If we go up we could pay him the Premier League riches or he could walk for free (but promotion would mean any loss of fee is offset)

The ONLY caveat I have is if Stephens does a Buckley or Bridcutt then I say sell. But Dale doesn't strike me as that sort of player.

Thin end of the wedge. Question is do we want promotion or not? What happens next will answer it.

I'm trying to think of a reason why we might not want promotion ???

Nope, sorry, I can't.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Norwood who according to one view on here "wasn't coming to sit on the bench" has said he wants Stephens to stay "100%" even thought he's er, Burnley fan.

“I’ve been a Burnley fan but I 100 per cent want him to stay here.
“It would be better for us if he does.
“I can’t speak for Dale, I don’t know about that, I can only say from my point of view he’s a fantatstic footballer. I haven’t enjoyed playing against him much.
“He’s a very nice lad as well. We’re both from up north, not far from each other.
“I’ve played against Dale when he was at Charlton and I remember him from the reserves at (Manchester) United when he was at Oldham. We’ve played against each other quite a lot and come across each other quite a lot.
“Hopefully he stays at the club, because if you lose a player of that quality it would hurt any team. Last year him and Beram (Kayal) were brilliant.
“As a player looking from the outside you want that competition and to be playing with good players. That’s what excited me about this move.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...fan_Norwood_wants_Stephens_to_stay_at_Albion/

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Bit unfair on Barnes. He only wanted a modest increase to stay. He also didnt "withold" his labour like the other two shits.

Yes, you're right, Barnes didn't 'down tools', but I thought he made it clear that he wouldn't be signing a new deal as he knew Burnley were interested and Dyche made him feel wanted. At that point the club decided it best to cash in, rightly or wrongly.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
If the rumor is correct and the offer is £7 mill, then the club have to either get him to sign an improved contract or except the £7mill.
If not we will end up selling him for around 2/3 million in January or losing him for nothing at the end of the season, if promotion is missed again.
'If' being the operative word here. I agree with you though, it would be excellent business by our club to secure that amount of money on a player with 1 year left on his contract.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
'If' being the operative word here. I agree with you though, it would be excellent business by our club to secure that amount of money on a player with 1 year left on his contract.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not if it costs us promotion it wouldn't be.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It could cost promotion if he is forced to play when he would rather be elsewhere.
Ideally sell him for 7.5 mil and get a replacement plus one other with the 7.5mil.

Wake up people . He's as good as gone already and Norwood IS his replacement . And a worthy one at that

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Wake up people . He's as good as gone already and Norwood IS his replacement . And a worthy one at that

Hughton wants four 4 first choice central MF in his squad given that arguably thats one of the reasons we didn't go up last year as we didn't have a lot of support for when Kayal was out during our poor run and he's looking to strengthen the squad.
He clearly doesn't rate JFC, Ince, Holla and brought in Sidwell.
The club have turned down several bids for Stephens.
So ideally he wants Sidwell, Kayal, Norwood, *and* Stephens as his 4 choices as he rightly thinks you need that in a 46 game season.

Now if Stephens goes then he has to think again but thats clearly the aim.
If Stephens turned up this morning and said I've had a rethink and want to sign that juicy contract...you think they'd say no ?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's starting to feel a bit like Dunk last season. We all assumed he was off and then, boom, new contract.

So I'm choosing to be optimistic this morning.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It's starting to feel a bit like Dunk last season. We all assumed he was off and then, boom, new contract.

So I'm choosing to be optimistic this morning.

Hmm, We could be just about to start on worrying about Dunk again. Stones has just signed for Man City, Everton were looking at Scot Dann at Palace and we know Pardew was interested in Dunk.

dr415414

May 6, 2015
Hmm, We could be just about to start on worrying about Dunk again. Stones has just signed for Man City, Everton were looking at Scot Dann at Palace and we know Pardew was interested in Dunk.
All over Sky that they are signing Kone from Sunderland for £17m as a direct replacement.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm trying to think of a reason why we might not want promotion ???

Nope, sorry, I can't.

Me either. But selling Stephens if he is happy to wind down his contract is a BIG statement of intent that we are happy with Championship football. Selling your best midfielder is not the way to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports