Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Express - Coldest Winter in decades on way (Sic)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
First a major shock The Express has discovered centigrade, a sure sign of progress.

In the media, it's a well know fact that centigrade (celsius) is used when cold weather is involved ("it's dropped to minus two"), and farenheit when the weather is hot ("temperatures have rocketed to the mid-nineties").

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How do you receive a sponsored tweet? Who do you follow that sponsors tweets?

I don't get many and I enjoyed dissecting this one having said that I just got some shite from M&S because Bozza is following them. I think the only commercial one I follow is Tunnocks Teacakes....Teacakes hmmmmmm aaaaaaaaarrrrgh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There was a thread on the Express and their weather stories a few weeks back.

Apparently if they print a story about bad weather it puts their circulation up. They get some bullshit quotes from some phoney experts to reel you in, it happens every year. In the summer, at the first hint of a warm spell they'll predict a heatwave with loads of old people dying.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I love how the tag-line on their adverts is "10p cheaper than The Daily Mail", so what they're actually saying is "we print the same old shit but you're wasting 10p less".

Or for 10p more you can get first class shit.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I love how the tag-line on their adverts is "10p cheaper than The Daily Mail", so what they're actually saying is "we print the same old shit but you're wasting 10p less".

I wondered how long the discussion would turn from the Express to the Mail...post 5...not bad,so I went online to see the Mail report of long range weather forecast....

It will be colder than usual this winter in Europe. Probably. By "colder", the weather forecasters mean colder than the average of all the last 50 winters. By "probably", they mean a likelihood of two thirds. It's better than tossing a coin. If you were planning a white Christmas in the Black Forest in December, a stroll on the South Downs in January or a St Valentine's Day picnic on a Breton beach in February, it wouldn't be much help.

But if you were a local authority wondering about grit and salt for roads, an agribusiness buying winter feed for yarded cattle, a public utility trying to forecast electricity demand or a reinsurance giant bothered about the billion-dollar payouts for windstorms, floods, ice storms and avalanches, you'd be grateful for the warning. And you'd owe it all to a crazy 150-year-old ambition to understand how the planet works and to a sea change - quite literally - in weather forecasting.

In order to look ahead for months rather than days, forecasters look beyond the hour-by-hour snapshots of the planet provided by weather satellites and ground stations, and start examining tiny changes in air pressure over Iceland and the Azores, not just over days and months, but years and decades.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How about the Express on pensions ?

Bl0jE5xIQAANtUp.jpg

Why can't they just stick to Princess Diana and the weather ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here