Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dagenham aggrieved by 'goal' that wasn't

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm sure I heard the sound of the ball hitting the bar... SSN about to show highlights so will have a look at that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly - I was row F seat 68 eyeline with the bar and definitely heard the ping of leather on aluminium crossbar. Marvellous scenes.

For comparison reasons, what sound does leather on onion bag make?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just watched it again on SSN and have played it back. I still think it hit the net. Inconclusive but It doesn't appear to have it the bar.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I've taped it, and watched it back again and again, and I'm CERTAIN this is the case. It looks like Painter carries on into the net after clearing the first one, and his weight streches the net really tight.

Incredible stuff.

Painter dives into the net,pulling it taut, and,at the same time,lowering the bar by two inches. Bas takes all of this in his stride,and hits the moving target of the bar as he wishes he still played for us.

The ref and lino missed all of this,so the Albion won and got three points.

SCC have sent the tape to the FBI for further study.

Last edited:

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
Dead in line with it down by the corner flag - hit the underside of bar and out.

Murrays hit underside of bar and in ! :lolol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No players or fans seemed to think it went in at the time. That's the best judge really. As we've seen lately the shit people talk after the event to make excuses is not worth a second thought.

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
I saw again I can see how people think it went in but if you have recorded on sky sports news watch it slowly and you can actually see the shadow of the ball against the bar so that should answer those who say it was a goal, def not

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It wasn't a goal. It thwacked the bar from close range and flew away. I was yet another terracee, and wanted to bow with gratitude to super-Baz and his gangly mishappenness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Weird. Watched it AGAIN, and changed my mind.

Bar.

No Goal. :jester:

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
I spoke to Bas after the game. He did not appeal for the goal because he could not see how it could have rebounded out like that without having hit the bar -- even after seeing a video of it he remained baffled.

Casper Ankergren is equally convinced it did not go in, but of course he will be a little bit Albion-biased (!)

For me I think it touched the net, which was being pulled taut by Marcos Painter as his momentum carried him forward after he cleared off the line - however touching the net and the ball being completely across the line are two completely separate things .... and I don't think anybody is in a position to be 100% certain whether it crossed the line or not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
goal.jpg

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I've taped it, and watched it back again and again, and I'm CERTAIN this is the case. It looks like Painter carries on into the net after clearing the first one, and his weight streches the net really tight.

Incredible stuff.

That is EXACTLY what I thought. I can see John Still's point. However, people who were there are adamant it didn't which would make it miss of the decade, never mind the season!!!

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
I spoke to Bas after the game. He did not appeal for the goal because he could not see how it could have rebounded out like that without having hit the bar -- even after seeing a video of it he remained baffled.

Casper Ankergren is equally convinced it did not go in, but of course he will be a little bit Albion-biased (!)

For me I think it touched the net, which was being pulled taut by Marcos Painter as his momentum carried him forward after he cleared off the line - however touching the net and the ball being completely across the line are two completely separate things .... and I don't think anybody is in a position to be 100% certain whether it crossed the line or not.

I totally agree with you this is why everyone is saying it was a goal, the upper net was pulled down when Marcos Painter hit the back of the net so it was parallel with the bar but the ball did not cross the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here