Dagenham aggrieved by 'goal' that wasn't

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Watched the highlights on Sky Sports last night and I definitely thought it had hit the net! It looked to me like when Painter went to clear it off the line he had hold of the net to balance himself and puleld the net towards him, looked liked it then hit the net but perhaps the top of net was not over the line at the time? either way was one of the funniest misses ever!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
From the terrace I would say no, however watching SSN this morning the ball seems to hit the back of the net and then come back out. The net was possibly too tight which meant rather than the ball nestling in it, the ball came straight back out, similar to a ball hitting the bar.

this,deffo a goal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's no way the ball could "cannon down" off the roof of the net at that velocity and bounce away. I assumed it was the bar at the time, and although the relpay does look a bit strange, PHYSICS tells us that it came back off the bar.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not one of the Daggers players appealed for it at the time, and Savage himself was laughing. Not the sign of an aggrieved party.

I was on the terrace at the side of the goal and the ball definitely bounced off the crossbar................NO GOAL!

that was my impression in the same stand. Murray's goal proved that the top of the net would have killed the pace of the ball and allowed it to drop in. Mind you people around me thought it had gone in...but can it physically come off the net and out??? awaiting video ???

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The net was angled differently from most I have seen. Therefore I believe it to be possible to strike it and come back out again. Would like to watch it again as there seems to be a big difference of opinion. If Painter has got back and inadvertantly tightend the net, could this be the greatest ever goal line clearance?

Timperley Seagull

Mar 30, 2011
Manchester
New to the board so hi everyone...I must admit, I watched it a few times and couldnt really tell either way, one replay I thought bar, the next, net. But I guess who care other than those who are 13 points or more behind us...Seagulls!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The ball came down again way too fast for it to have been the roof of the net.

Stuff it though, who cares ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
New to the board so hi everyone...I must admit, I watched it a few times and couldnt really tell either way, one replay I thought bar, the next, net. But I guess who care other than those who are 13 points or more behind us...Seagulls!!!

This is the central point - the linesman has to KNOW it went in. If a replay is inconclusive, what hope does lino have?

Not that it stopped that prat at Shrewsbury v Wycombe recently.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was at the back of the stand and I have no doubt it hit the bar. The net ruffled because Paints fell into it...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Watching the replay on sky sports news I wondered if painter falling into the net put enough tension on the crossbar to pull it down fractionally (we see it bounce a lot with the slightest tug from a keeper or player jumping up to it), and if so was it enough to make the difference between it hitting the crossbar and bouncing out or hitting the crossbar and bouncing in.

I didn't for a second think it had gone in the goal, but I was a little sleepy by the time I caught the goal on ssn.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
it was not a goal from where i was listening , however it was a stonewall penalty ,you could hear it a mile off .

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
Seen this on sky sport this morning def no goal it hit bar, sat wife down to see it, she knows nothing about football, normal speed "yes goal" she said, then slow motion "def not" she said, seems John Still needs to go to Spec Savers if he says he saw this on TV and still says its a goal.

BHAMAN

Dec 25, 2010
Shoreham
Bar or Net, it doesnt matter - the ball didn’t cross the line so it’s not a goal.

Having said that, I was behind the goal and it definitely hit the bar!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I was in the front row immediately behind the goal. IT HIT THE BAR!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
Accept it people, there is no to watch is a hundred times, as Warsaw says the ball hit the bar. The big give away was the tud of a leather ball hitting a piece of wood.:blush: The ripple of the net, was painter landing in it. It was 100% not a goal.... besides, that short arse **** of a ref would have given a goal if it had gone within a yard of the net he was so bent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was towards the back of the stand behind the goal...I had a pretty good view and I'm of the opinion that it hit the crossbar and did not cross the line.

I've yet to see tv footage though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, what was happening to the cheer leader girls? First there were 8, then 7....and then only 6 re-appeared at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports