Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D v l a

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a doubletake when I saw the title of this thread . . . . and when I say doubletake I don't mean . . . . best I get my coat.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My photocard expired this month. The DVLA sent me the renewal notice in June, whereby (on a Wednesday afternoon) I took my completed form to the Post Office, who stamped it, took a new photo, and sent it off.

My new photocard arrived in the post on the Friday morning, less than 48 hours later.

They deal with millions of UK drivers, and increasing numbers of foreign drivers who want to exchange or apply for UK licences, so it's inevitable that some applications will go walkies. But let's not start saying they're unequivocally crap, as my experience of their service was, frankly, quite outstanding.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I concur with my colleague above.
I moved house last month and mine and the recent new Mrs JTM got our new licences and V5C back within a week, including a name change for her.
Easy as it could be.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
If you dont and it expires then you will be driving without a licence and not uncommon for the courts to impose a fine and order you to retake the driving test.

It IS uncommon for courts to impose a fine for this offence because the DVLA don't enforce it and the courts certainly can't order you to retake your driving test.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
If you look into the history of how the English have screwed the Welsh and you think where the DVLA are located it becomes obvious. They are simply using their position to get there own back!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I have been in the same house for the last 25 years and still have a paper licence. I think it's only when you move or lose your old licence you have to shell out for the card?

or if you want points taken off.

I still use my old green licence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
or if you want points taken off.

I still use my old green licence.

Is there any benefit from having them removed though?

I still have three speeding endorsements going back over the years, they are all still on there but
all over 5 years old. Never had a problem hiring a car with them showing although the tatty old licence does raise eyebrows hiring abroad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you dont and it expires then you will be driving without a licence and not uncommon for the courts to impose a fine and order you to retake the driving test.

Not quite, the offence is "driving otherwise than in accordance with a license (where could be covered)" which carries 3-6 points and a fine, however people have been prosecuted for "driving otherwise than in accordance with a license", which is fine but no points but it now turns out these convictions were wrong and should be overturned.
Neither offence empowers the court to impose a re-test.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My niece got 3 points for speeding but before sending off her licence and getting notification of the out come of the court case she moved. Hence the points werent added and the DVLA rescinded her licence for it not being sent in for the points to be added.. She was stopped 12 months later on a check and was prosecuted for driving without a licence and I ams sure that she was fined and had points added to her licence which the DVLA had renewed and added the original points to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My niece got 3 points for speeding but before sending off her licence and getting notification of the out come of the court case she moved. Hence the points werent added and the DVLA rescinded her licence for it not being sent in for the points to be added.. She was stopped 12 months later on a check and was prosecuted for driving without a licence and I ams sure that she was fined and had points added to her licence which the DVLA had renewed and added the original points to.

So her attempt at getting away with it backfired? No sympathy from me. Most people leave a forwarding address for their mail.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Me and the missus moved last year and sent off our licenses for the address change, they lost them and now want to CHARGE US for lost licenses. I still have my old photocard one with the wrong address it.

As far as I'm concerned if they ****ing lost them then they should ****ing pay for them. They won't pay and I don't see why I should have to pay again. I know I will have to give in at some point but its really pissed me off :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

I always send my licence to them recorded delivery, that way if they lose it after receiving it, I have proof they got it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
my other half sent off her licence to be renewed,we checked and double checked it to ensure everything was correct

it came back today
licence for 4 months
her DOB had been put on incorrectly
now they want more proof of identity
she has been driving for nearly 50 years no points ect ect

is there no one in this bloody world who can read and do their fecking job properly

Not at the DVLA, no.

I work in the motor trade, and from experience I can honestly say that you cannot even trust a vehicle log book, as the DVLA may have googled it up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My photocard expired this month. The DVLA sent me the renewal notice in June, whereby (on a Wednesday afternoon) I took my completed form to the Post Office, who stamped it, took a new photo, and sent it off.

My new photocard arrived in the post on the Friday morning, less than 48 hours later.

They deal with millions of UK drivers, and increasing numbers of foreign drivers who want to exchange or apply for UK licences, so it's inevitable that some applications will go walkies. But let's not start saying they're unequivocally crap, as my experience of their service was, frankly, quite outstanding.

Lucky you Edna. They do deal with an extraordinary number of applications, renewals etc as you rightly point out. But they also penalise Joe Public for their mistakes, missing entitlements, lost documentation and infinitum. They also make so many mistakes on vehicle log books that you girls in blue must be tearing your hair out at times?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So do you routinely wave on drivers with out of date licences then? Seems a bit odd tbh ???

No, but you won't get NICKED, as the o/p suggested :rolleyes:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

That's entirely her fault.

Firstly for getting caught speeding, and secondly for failing to notify the DVLA of a change of address as she is legally obliged to do.

Happens fairly regularly. If you don't receive notification from the DVLA of points because you've moved and haven't told them, they will initially warn you (at the address they have for you, which you won't receive because you don't live there any more), and then after a while, because you havent responded, they will revoke your driving licence (which you still may not know about because you've failed to notify them). You are then driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence if you drive a vehicle on a road or public place. Which, if caught, means at the very least a £60 fine, 3 more points on your licence, and your car being seized on the spot with the resultant £150 recovery charge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So her attempt at getting away with it backfired? No sympathy from me. Most people leave a forwarding address for their mail.
I think that she did leave her new address but very little if any mail was forwarded. She should have paid the money and done it officially through Royal Mail rather than rely on word of mouth and the new occupants of her old house. Just for your info she wasnt trying to get away with it as her job means more to her than that, it was just a case of the upheaval of moving and it slipped her mind that she hadnt heard back from the court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here