Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D-Day - the Normandy landings

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My Stepfather is friends with a man that took part in the Normandy Landings. I'm happy to say that he hasn't paid for a pint in his home town for the last 70 years.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
View attachment 54712

These are my grandad's D-Day orders. He told me that they used to get dummy orders every day, similar to these. When he opened these ones and read them to his men, to a man, they were all sick over the side of the boat.

He led the allied forces out of Portsmouth harbour on D-Day in the two boats he was commanding. They carried on to the -D-Day beaches and his boats went left to the beaches where they were performing dummy exercises to fool the Germans into thinking they were landing there.

Shame the attachment isn't working for me. I watched a program about dummy projects to throw the Germans and this was one of them. I liked the dummy & planes runways we set up as well. Fascinating stuff.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Shame the attachment isn't working for me. I watched a program about dummy projects to throw the Germans and this was one of them. I liked the dummy & planes runways we set up as well. Fascinating stuff.

Operation Mincemeat aka 'The Man Who Never Was' is a great example of that although I think that was for misinformation about the invasion of Italy.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Operation Mincemeat aka 'The Man Who Never Was' is a great example of that although I think that was for misinformation about the invasion of Italy.

Operation Mincemeat is fascinating, especially given that it's success amongst other things led to the Nazis ignoring future genuine intellignece finds because they thought they were being duped again.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

I just clicked on it and it seems to be working. I will try and post it some other way. I think it is a decent bit of historical data

Same here - see #14 above (sorry Bozza!).

View attachment 54712

These are my grandad's D-Day orders. He told me that they used to get dummy orders every day, similar to these. When he opened these ones and read them to his men, to a man, they were all sick over the side of the boat.

He led the allied forces out of Portsmouth harbour on D-Day in the two boats he was commanding. They carried on to the -D-Day beaches and his boats went left to the beaches where they were performing dummy exercises to fool the Germans into thinking they were landing there.

Attachment won't open for me either

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Possibly as well. From a documentary I have watched if my memory serves me correctly we set up dummy runways and planes in Kent to fool the Germans that we were going via the shortest route and try and land at Calais.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
My Stepfather is friends with a man that took part in the Normandy Landings. I'm happy to say that he hasn't paid for a pint in his home town for the last 70 years.

Your stepfather sounds like a really tight c**t.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My Grandfather was heavily-involved in the planning of D-Day, and this was one of the ideas that they were most proud of.

If the thumbs were still around I'd 'Up' this.

It is quite literally nothing short of genius to come up with something like this. It also seems, to me at least, to be an extremely British solution to the problem!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thanks, interesting stuff.

"The Allied casualties figures for D-Day ... a total of 4,413 dead" (accounted for, so there will be more)
"Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces."
"Today, twenty-seven war cemeteries hold the remains of over 110,000 dead from both sides: 77,866 German, 9,386 American, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadian and 650 Poles"

All those dead from a collection of different nationalities. Where are the French? Presumably there were no deaths among the 77 taking part, making the effort to recapture their own country.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
BBC1, think it was Monday night, spread over two shows.

Quick google suggests it was called D-Day: The Last Heroes. Seems to have been first shown last year. I really enjoyed it though. You can still see it on iPlayer by the looks of it.

Thank you, I'll give it a watch when I get a chance.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
I went over to Normandy for a military tour in 1984 with a coach load of veterans - the evening meals were fascinating as they recounted their stories and when we travelled around they pointed where they had been and what they had seen - I have a US TV commeration folder signed by the veterans and they detail where they landed/were shot down/what ship they were on etc - my step father in law also landed as ASC driver on D Day +1 on Juno beach and he finally told me his war career over a bottle of scotch one summer evening - just fascinating - Sherman tanks being picked off on a hill by a Tiger and each brewing up, driving up to a Chateau which was still in German hands and having their transport shot up and him having to hide under his truck - it was a special night ..sadly he is not with us anymore so I will raise a glass to him on the 7th - to you Pte Roger Parish

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indeed. Quite a few of the modern occupants of this Country should read up and appreciate what was sacrificed by so many for our continuing freedom.

TNBA

TTF

Utterly agree. I challenge anyone to watch the BBC programmes and still have a dry eye at the end. Also 'The World at War' is well worth the £20 you can pick it up for on Amazon.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks, interesting stuff.

"The Allied casualties figures for D-Day ... a total of 4,413 dead" (accounted for, so there will be more)
"Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces."
"Today, twenty-seven war cemeteries hold the remains of over 110,000 dead from both sides: 77,866 German, 9,386 American, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadian and 650 Poles"

Indeed, its little wonder that the demographic for UKIP voters is white and over 60...................

http://sluggerotoole.com/2013/03/07...-and-more-working-class-but-especially-older/

Surprised the ANL are over there in Normandy giving the old'uns what for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here