Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cyprus Potatoes

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I lived Clapham North 94-97, Landor Road 97-02, and ran the Oddbins on Clapham High St 97-99. It was buzzing then or, another way of putting it was really turning into a place of hedonism around then.
Mind you, Brighton is hedonistic.
Then I definitely met you.

I lived off Landor Road for years and was always in the oddbins on the High Street. That's where I always bought my wine. I remember it very well because of the music they played in there.

Prior to that I lived in a flat above that offshoot of Belgos, Bierradrome.

My favourite shop was open all hours Premier Food and Wine. I once had a rant on here about the "local" supermarket shops killing places like that and bizarrely got a PM ON HERE defending them. After a bit of digging with the individual it turned out there were a representative of Sainsburys.

Probably never mentioned that @Bozza, but Sainsburys opened a local version a few shops down from their big supermarket to kill off local competition. I had a rant about it on here years ago and they took the time to register on here and send me a PM "explaining" the situation.

Bonkers :)

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I once worked for the guys that grow Jersey Royals (which is a marketing name, the variety is International Kidney). It's a gang of about 14 rich farmers. They manage to contort the rules about pesticides and fertilizers etc because they grow over such a short period so they can pump them full of crap. Nothing great or healthy about them other than they used to be the first of the season. These days we get new potatoes year round, so I wouldn't bother going for Jerseys. The myth of their great flavour does not hold up in taste tests.

Sorry to be the Grinch.

Cyprus spuds sound interesting though.
I’m going to sound like an old man, but Jersey Royals don’t taste anywhere near as good as they used to.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I lived off Landor Road for years and was always in the oddbins on the High Street. That's where I always bought my wine. I remember it very well because of the music they played in there.

Prior to that I lived in a flat above that offshoot of Belgos, Bierradrome.

My favourite shop was open all hours Premier Food and Wine. I once had a rant on here about the "local" supermarket shops killing places like that and bizarrely got a PM ON HERE defending them. After a bit of digging with the individual it turned out there were a representative of Sainsburys.

Probably never mentioned that @Bozza, but Sainsburys opened a local version a few shops down from their big supermarket to kill off local competition. I had a rant about it on here years ago and they took the time to register on here and send me a PM "explaining" the situation.

Bonkers :)
The music might have had something to do with me.
John Lanchester and Richard James were regulars there -- both delightful.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I believe I also read somewhere that the majority of wines in the Bordeaux region come from vine stems taken from Cyprus.

As for Cyprus potatoes, there is a reason they used to be sold under the brand "Champions" in the UK
Well there is such a thing as Cyprus Sherry, so who knows? My late mum used to swear by it, horrible stuff to my taste, but hey we are all different l guess.

Cyprus Sherry and a Snowball at Christmas time, that's the only time she ever drank alcohol.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You're right about Jersey Royals not tasting as good. I think a few years ago, the EU banned them from putting seaweed on the potato growing fields which acted as a fertiliser and gave them their distinctive taste.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The music might have had something to do with me.
John Lanchester and Richard James were regulars there -- both delightful.
Has tall, dark, wry smiling Goth finally managed to contact small, curvy, coquettish sportster :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're right about Jersey Royals not tasting as good. I think a few years ago, the EU banned them from putting seaweed on the potato growing fields which acted as a fertiliser and gave them their distinctive taste.

Sorry Jevs, you're right about not using seaweed, but it's yet another EU myth together with the bendy bananas one, they stopped for purely commercial reasons :wink:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/lifestyle/denis-kilcommons-jersey-royals-debate-7104870

But it appears this myth may not have been started by Johnson :lolol:

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Quite possible for a similar reason as why it's very difficult to obtain Greek or Cypriot wines, (ther than Retsina), citrus fruit, or even olives, (other than Kalamata), in this country.

The truth sadly is, that neither Greece nor Cyprus, for some inexplicable reason, exports it in any meaningful numbers. Such a shame as Greece is one of the leading wine procucers in Europe, yet all it exports, to this country at least, in any sort of number, is the humble Retsina. I like Retsina but it is hardly a wine.

The same applies to citrus fruit, they grow an awful lot of it, but what they don't produce for themselves is often left unpicked. Such a shame.
Turkish, too. Fantastic citrus and other fruit: peaches, melons, water melons, cherries and much, much more. Unless anything's changed, never leaves Turkey.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Anyone else a fan ?

.. and can anyone else throw light on why supermarkets don't sell them ? Is the mud that puts people off ?

Not that worries me because they are in abundance in the multi cultural yoghurt knitting urban utopia where I exist.

I just feel sorry for those you have never tried them. I eat mine with a fine olive oil and Greek yoghurt,

There are the king of the baked potato varieties.
Enjoying them regularly.... in Cyprus! The soil is rust red and there is a great range of extremely tasty vegetables.... love it!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rent
Quite possible for a similar reason as why it's very difficult to obtain Greek or Cypriot wines, (ther than Retsina), citrus fruit, or even olives, (other than Kalamata), in this country.

The truth sadly is, that neither Greece nor Cyprus, for some inexplicable reason, exports it in any meaningful numbers. Such a shame as Greece is one of the leading wine procucers in Europe, yet all it exports, to this country at least, in any sort of number, is the humble Retsina. I like Retsina but it is hardly a wine.

The same applies to citrus fruit, they grow an awful lot of it, but what they don't produce for themselves is often left unpicked. Such a shame.
Recently I had a week in Paphos, my first ever trip to Cyprus. All the local wines were eminently quaffable and affordable. A 1litre caraffe of house white would cost about €12 in restaurants. We stayed close to the local Lidl and they stocked plenty of local wines, many from the Keo brewery/winery, I think that most were blends rather than a particular estate but they were all lovely and priced at about €4 a bottle.
A nice white of theirs labeled "Aphrodite" retailed for about €3.75 but was available at Paphos airport " Duty Free " for €5.70 !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here