Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure if this has been done before but I encountered a group of cyclists today hogging the middle of a busy A-Road,cycling two abreast completely oblivious to the massive tailback they were causing.

Now rightly or wrongly (you decide) this filled me with uncontrollable anger.

Personally I think the vast majority of cyclists are arrogance and egotistical personified. A view I'm sure will not be shared but my view all the same.

Be interested to hear the thoughts/experiences amongst NSC on cyclists as they seem to divide opinion like no other topic of conversation

I went for a long ride today. As usual, there were several close calls - cars pulling out of side streets completely ignoring the fact that I was approaching, people overtaking me just before turning left, or just before a red traffic light, so the overtaking was followed by slamming on the breaks.

As a cyclist you are always aware of the dangers that so many of the nutters who drive can cause - particularly those, like yourself, who group us all together and hate us. Your uncontrollable anger is dangerous to me and other cyclists, for God's sake, get a grip, calm down.

How much time do you think was added to your journey? 30 seconds? A minute?

What do you do if you come across horse riders? Do they make you lose the plot. Are they egotistical and arrogant?

Cyclists cycle for fitness, fun and freedom. They are people like you and me, and you cannot pigeon hole them as a homogeneous group. Your attitude is one of the reasons that, proportionally, more cyclists are killed on the road here than anywhere else in Europe. Is that ok with you?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Yet you still felt the need to open it

The thread title was deliberately unambiguous

It's quite simple if you don't like the subject matter or it has gone over old ground for you don't open it

Bollards is it unambiguous. 'A moan about cyclists' would be unambiguous. A thread entitled 'cyclists' could be wanting advice. That's why I opened it.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Not sure if this has been done before but I encountered a group of cyclists today hogging the middle of a busy A-Road,cycling two abreast completely oblivious to the massive tailback they were causing.

Personally I think the vast majority of cyclists are arrogance and egotistical personified. A view I'm sure will not be shared but my view all the same.

Be interested to hear the thoughts/experiences amongst NSC on cyclists as they seem to divide opinion like no other topic of conversation

I hope you can defend yourself by owning a BMW as owners are generally the most humble, modest and safe (with fsh) on the road for us cyclists to encounter.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The only cyclist I have a of problem with is Mr Toby Field of Eastbourne and Evolution cycles.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I cycle, I walk, I drive.
What sort of sh!t-head doesn't realise that the person on the two wheels, is of flesh and can be killed .....yes DEAD, if we hit them when sitting on our arses inside a climate controlled tin box.

Get over yourself, you inconsiderate dead-head sociopath tw@ts........live and let LIVE!!!

Thanks for the invitation to decide.

If I was really in a position to decide a matter like this, my decision would be to revoke your driving licence, on the grounds that a clear statement to the effect that you can sometimes find yourself behind a wheel in a state of "uncontrollable anger" makes you unsafe to drive a vehicle.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for the invitation to decide.

If I was really in a position to decide a matter like this, my decision would be to revoke your driving licence, on the grounds that a clear statement to the effect that you can sometimes find yourself behind a wheel in a state of "uncontrollable anger" makes you unsafe to drive a vehicle.

Semantics

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
A side step to the fact that most of the city cyclists in Brighton love being a bell ringing little nazi in their cycle lanes but happily go through a red light. **** Em

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nothing illegal about cycling two abreast. What's the issue?

Whilst not siding with the OP, the highway code actually states 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends'. So, if it was a busy road then they should have been riding single file.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
drew;6197071if it was a busy road then they should have been riding single file.[/QUOTE said:
Which it was

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A side step to the fact that most of the city cyclists in Brighton love being a bell ringing little nazi in their cycle lanes but happily go through a red light. **** Em

Pathetic. Really sad. A stupid and ludicrous generalisation.

Ringing your bell lets pedestrians know you are there - it is most often used in a friendly way to warn someone of your approach. How often do pedestrians get run over by cyclists? It is unbelievably rare.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Two abreast is surely better than a queue of cyclists?

Just adds a bit of time to your journey. Hardly the end of the world, unless of course you were on a mission to save the world and tight for time and missed your chance. I'm still here, so I guess you weren't.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Many a time I've had near misses on my bike and it can safely say never my fault. Cars waiting to give way see a bike and pull out wanting to get in front completely underestimating the speed that a road bike can do!! In addition, some cars that do overtake do not leave enough space and occassionally you get a hyped up moron who cuts in early on you to make fun. Drivers should be aware we can't ride right next to the kerb, with drains, manhole covers and bloody potholes everywhere it is safer to move across slightly. We should all be able to share the road safely but unfortunately, some people are in such a rush to get to asda or the in laws or whatever that they put people's life's at risk!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can we have a subsection on the board entitled, 'Monotonous threads that cover the same old shite and no new ground, but get all concerned hot under the collar, again and A-****ing-GAIN'?

We already do, it's called 'The a Big Board'

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Pathetic. Really sad. A stupid and ludicrous generalisation.

Ringing your bell lets pedestrians know you are there - it is most often used in a friendly way to warn someone of your approach. How often do pedestrians get run over by cyclists? It is unbelievably rare.

I never said anyone gets run over, however, every day I see this same set if wankers doing the get out of the way aggressive version followed up by the convenient rule changing when they want to carry on at the lights.

It's not pathetic, I see it every bloody day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here