Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists - Have You Ever Had a Front Wheel Puncture?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
In all my decades of cycling I honestly don't think I've ever had one. I've just patched my third rear wheel puncture in the space of a month, and, if your chain's anything like mine (i.e. filthy) it does become a trifle tedious. Maybe the next time they invent the bicycle they could put the chain wheel/gears running to the front wheel.

:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do it right and you shouldn't touch the chain!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Most of the weight when riding a bike is over the real wheel, which makes it more susceptible to penetration innit:cheers:

markw

Aug 28, 2009
If your front tube and tyre never get a puncture why don't you swap them to the rear :shrug:

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Do it right and you shouldn't touch the chain!

This!

I used to get quite a few when rode bike trials, I'd ride with a lighter tyre up front with lower pressure so would get pinch flat if I caught the front wheel hard on an edge.

Had a beefy dh tyre on the back barely had any on that.

Road tyres look like they would flat a lot!

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I ride with some Maxxis Hookworms. Really heavy downhill tyres but bombproof so far and they are phat as phuck so look awesome too.

Used to get punctures all the time. None since getting the new tyres.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Road tyres look like they would flat a lot!
It's all about tyre pressure on road bikes.

If you let it slide, you'll have a puncture inside a week.

My guess for Cheeky would be either he has a 'foreign body' inside the tyre or not enough pressure.
3 in a month is too many.

Still no need to touch the chain when removing and reattaching the rear wheel.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My guess for Cheeky would be either he has a 'foreign body' inside the tyre or not enough pressure.
3 in a month is too many.

Still no need to touch the chain when removing and reattaching the rear wheel.

I always thoroughly check the tyre after each incident, feeling slowly all the way round and removing the offending piece of metal or glass. Tyre pressure is always 'firm' it's just a bad run, as prior to these three I'd probably gone a year or more without a single puncture on Brighton's roads.

Agree no need to touch chain, but my bike's covered in crap nonetheless, so it's out with the Swarfega regardless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always thoroughly check the tyre after each incident, feeling slowly all the way round and removing the offending piece of metal or glass. Tyre pressure is always 'firm' it's just a bad run, as prior to these three I'd probably gone a year or more without a single puncture on Brighton's roads.

Agree no need to touch chain, but my bike's covered in crap nonetheless, so it's out with the Swarfega regardless.
furry muff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here