Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist fatalities in London - what's going on?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Having driven around London in everything from a 2 wheeler to an 18 wheeler I noticed that it's the younger male drivers and the younger male cyclists that cause most of the problems. Let's blame excessive testosterone.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Small parts of London are. And maybe there is little which can be done; I rarely subscribe to this idea though...my thinking is that in almost all cases and with most things you can make improvements with some smart thinking and an open mind. But equally there are quite huge swathes across all parts of London which could and should be re-designed and improved.

it baffles me you thimk that there needs to be investment into cycle lanes in london - the investment has been staggering in the last few years. you really must have missed it. yes its still a dangerous way of getting around but will always be so to a certain extent. the amount of cyclists has increased dramatically and people, slowly, are learning to cope. whats happened in the last few days is awful of course but it is a cluster. there seems to be a real battle at the oment in london and 'professional' drivers in central london are really really struggling to cope with the increase in cycle traffic. this attitude is dangerous. there are also lots of silly sods who get on a bike and ride around in western euopes largest city with a hugesly complacent sense of self righteousness. its a terrible combination right now. but things will get better.

but to say londons not geared up for cycling right now is just mental. must be the most cycle friendly city of its size in the world. amsterdam or copenhagen etc are tiny - meaningless comparison.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This is true, infrastructure plays a key part.

I work in London and see clashes between cyclists and other road users every single day. I've seen driving that is nothing short of appalling, but I've also seen cyclists with apparently no respect for the laws of the road or self awareness - In all honestly they're both as bad as each other. Both these factors combined with a fairly shocking cycle lane infrastructure is what's down to the shocking statistics were seeing inregard to cycle injuries and deaths.

sorry mate but this is just mental. whats happened in the last few years is little short of a revolution. this baffles me, its kafka-esque what you and herr tubthumper are saying, that londons cycling infrustructure is poor and needs investment. its madness. you obviously dont cycle in london.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I tend to agree with you, The Spanish.

Where London actually wins is the number of bus lanes that are only used by cyclists, buses and taxis. Perhaps a compulsory course for cyclists and drivers using these lanes that teaches the awareness for any cyclist/driver caught driving with undue care and attention is the way forward. That would mean more investment in enforcement though.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I tend to agree with you, The Spanish.

Where London actually wins is the number of bus lanes that are only used by cyclists, buses and taxis. Perhaps a compulsory course for cyclists and drivers using these lanes that teaches the awareness for any cyclist/driver caught driving with undue care and attention is the way forward. That would mean more investment in enforcement though.

you are right i think it would go a long way some sort of certification for cycling on public roads. not only would it placate the obvious current hostility from drivers in london, but also be a nice revenue stream and would make people on bikes more responsible. nanny state i know but more people cycling is a GOOD THING, and if thats whats needed then so be it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but to say londons not geared up for cycling right now is just mental. must be the most cycle friendly city of its size in the world..

I guess it depends what you judge London against? Berlin is the second biggest city in the EU so my reference point is not 'meaningless.' London is not geared up for cycling in the way my city is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
you are right i think it would go a long way some sort of certification for cycling on public roads. not only would it placate the obvious current hostility from drivers in london, but also be a nice revenue stream and would make people on bikes more responsible. nanny state i know but more people cycling is a GOOD THING, and if thats whats needed then so be it.
It's not the nanny state that bothers me about that idea, it's the red tape. Certification would put people off and then there's the cost of administration.

I'd make certification a part of "punishment" for poor cycling/driving and increase the level of law enforcement.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess it depends what you judge London against? Berlin is the second biggest city in the EU so my reference point is not 'meaningless.' London is not geared up for cycling in the way my city is.

IMO, German cities are the only ones geared up for cycling. Well, I know Duesseldorf certainly is. Same goes for Aachen.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It's not the nanny state that bothers me about that idea, it's the red tape. Certification would put people off and then there's the cost of administration.

I'd make certification a part of "punishment" for poor cycling/driving and increase the level of law enforcement.

you say that like its a bad thing

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sorry mate but this is just mental. whats happened in the last few years is little short of a revolution. this baffles me, its kafka-esque what you and herr tubthumper are saying, that londons cycling infrustructure is poor and needs investment. its madness. you obviously dont cycle in london.

You're right, I'd have to be criminally insane to cycle in London! ;)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If only we could pinpoint the attitude that leads to deaths on the road.

Come and have a drive over here, especially at the weekend, mobs of them riding 5 or 6 abreast and getting abusive when you toot them to form a single line, as the highway rule states.
They generate huge queues of traffic, in their obligatory lycra.
If they observe the rules of the road I haven't a problem, but when the 'I'm in big mob' mentality takes over they are a right pain and make life on the road hell for all others.
Cycle registration and a road tax should be introduced, after all, they want the same rights as a driver so they should pay for it.
Then we will see numbers diminish, with some luck.
Accidents will happen and if more people are participating, then more accidents will happen, unfortunate but a fact of life.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was in Amsterdam the other day. I have never had a problem before but on this occasion I had two "close encounters" - one with a girl using her phone and the other a lad with headphones on......no less stupid than driving a car with your attention distracted but with no protection the chances of injury are increased.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Come and have a drive over here, especially at the weekend, mobs of them riding 5 or 6 abreast and getting abusive when you toot them to form a single line, as the highway rule states.
They generate huge queues of traffic, in their obligatory lycra.
If they observe the rules of the road I haven't a problem, but when the 'I'm in big mob' mentality takes over they are a right pain and make life on the road hell for all others.
Cycle registration and a road tax should be introduced, after all, they want the same rights as a driver so they should pay for it.
Then we will see numbers diminish, with some luck.
Accidents will happen and if more people are participating, then more accidents will happen, unfortunate but a fact of life.

Road tax doesn't exist (over here at least). It's a vehicle tax based on fuel emissions.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Main issue as far as I was concerned living in Amsterdam was stoned tourists from the night before wandering onto the cycle track in the morning...

A car hitting a cyclist in Holland seemed like a major offence, akin to paedophilia.
Too many hills in Prague to even consider it....plus the car drivers tend to be morons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
geared up - like it

I must admit it was unintentional. But I do like a good pun. I agree with Sim's assertion that Germany is the best country (handle)bar none.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here