Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Falmer Stadium

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Like many other supporters I regularly cycle to home games. I did ask this on `ask the club` but got a pretty vague answer - I dont want to nag them - so I thought I`d ask here - has anybody who went to the Hove meeting, Falmer roadshows or whatever any idea of the proposed route into the stadium for cyclists? I noticed on the map that appeared in a recent programme the only cycle track marked went down the side of Falmer station and went to Falmer School. The existing cycle track to the Universites from central Brighton and Lewes is on the other side of the dual carriageway - what`s the plan for getting from the cycle track to the stadium safely - or hasnt this been decided yet?

Seagull Stew

Not sure how true this is, but apparently many years ago, cyclists didn't have their own designated areas taking over pedestrian footpaths and shortening carriageways, but used to actually use the roads alongside other transport vehicles!

Who would have thought it, eh? :p

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
falmer cycle track

I used to cycle to college at falmer every day back in the early eighties along the road but now in part due to the volume of traffic created by the by-pass I wouldn`t dare - its absolutely lethal. I still cycle everywhere else around Brighton and to Withdean. Are you suggesting that there shouldnt be a cycle track there at all? Is the suggestion of the last poster that no provision should be made for cycling? An integral part of the stadium plan is to provide sustainable means of getting to and from the stadium.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Do you park your bike in the 'cage' at Withdean? If so, how many bikes use it on average? I have done that a few times but not for a while now there are a car load of us coming from Lewes.
PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the point Ken was making was how do you get to it from the left hand side of the road without trying to cross the A27

I think the point Ken was making was how do you get to it from the left hand side of the road without trying to cross the A27

It's the A270 that has to be crossed.

That half-baked attempt at a junction at the Southern Water entrance that was constructed, but never properly opened when the by-pass was built, is to be redesigned, with some sort of new flyover. I'm presuming that cycle use of the new junction will be possible. The City Council are commissioning the work, using the SEEDA money.

From the masterplan in the Leyton Orient programme, it looks to me like the flyover will carry the main road traffic that is travelling from Lewes to Brighton, with right-turning vehicles (including bikes) from Brighton going under the new flyover.

It might be worth asking the council for confirmation that proper cycle provision will be included in the scheme.

This is an extract from the drawing.

The yellow bit at the top is the new cycle path alongside the railway.

The blue bit is the entrance to Falmer School (and the matchday car parking area).

The green bit is the new flyover for Brighton-bound traffic using the A270.

falmerjunctiongd2.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forgive my ignorance, but how do cyclist get to Sussex Uni? isnt there a path leading on from the Stanmer Park entrance, surely once there you either go though the underpass to the station or over the bridge?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The cycle path between Coldean Lane and the University follows the footpath next to the A270 then the flint wall at the southern end of Stanmer Park. Currently, there is a whopping great big underpass linking the station with the University under the A27 that has separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians.

I think you mean Brighton University, beorhthelm.

The cycle lane goes up the Lewes Road from Brighton all the way to Sussex University. If you are going to Brighton University, I think you use the new underpass between Sussex University and Falmer Station, then hump your bike over the footbridge.

The new route, via the Falmer School grounds, will be much better.

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
I used to cycle once.......then I gave up my paper round, found alcohol and learnt to drive a car. Never looked back!

Actually Arthur, after you little coming together at the train station the other week, surely it's not the looking back you should be worried about....try looking at what is in front of your flipping wagon !

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Cycling to Falmer

Re the cage - I havent used it for a couple of seasons now - it was always full of smoke from the burger vans which back onto it - and lock my bike to the railings at the front entrance to the ground - less secure but a lot easier.

Thanks to Lord B and co for the comments about getting from the propsed cycle track to the main one on the other side of the main road - I`ll just have to check with the council.

Re getting to the University of Brighton site at Falmer from the cycle track - you dont have to carry the bike over the station bridge - I usually cycle under the tunnel and then ride/push along the verge going north a couple of hundred yards past the station where there is another bridge over the railway and a lane which comes out right next to where the stadium is to be built - I was expecting this to be the offical cycling route to be honest - I dont see any proposals to knock this bridge down on the plans - so I guess might still be possible to use this route even though the verge down the side of the main road is a bit unsatisfactory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here