Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Get a Garmin Edge 500 for £79.99
Aldi offers the popular GPS bike computer at a bargain price

http://road.cc/content/news/163151-get-garmin-edge-500-7999

Simon Warren Cycling Climbs of South-East England

http://road.cc/content/review/163109-simon-warren-cycling-climbs-south-east-england

Oh, as much as I like my garminge2, I might have to go for that 5 and get some cadence and HR bits.

That fella has just mentioned the hill one way along from Ide. Its been on radar for a while, but now its a must.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, as much as I like my garminge2, I might have to go for that 5 and get some cadence and HR bits.

That fella has just mentioned the hill one way along from Ide. Its been on radar for a while, but now its a must.
Assuming you mean Toy's I did it on my big ride.
Other than it's length it's nothing too difficult with a fairly even gradient.

I think Barhatch is rather overstated, although unlike Toys it does have some tough ramps..

If you investigate Kent and Essex I'll have a look around Hampshire.
The Geeks could tick the book off quite quickly.

Talking of rides, if anyone's about tomorrow afternoon I'll be making use of some free time after lunch to try and get some miles into my legs.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If you investigate Kent and Essex I'll have a look around Hampshire.
The Geeks could tick the book off quite quickly.

Thanks for that. Its so easy to get to Essex on a bike from here.

Yup, Toys is what I alluded to.

And I bottled another tasty climb today. Its one with a little teaser at the bottom. I had a couple of wheel spins which put me off. I'd been very cautious as about 6 miles in it started drizzling and I took it easy for quite a while.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Set top box record reminder.

Tour of Britain starts today.

Itv4 as per usual. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A week of light winds and pleasant weather, fill your boots Geeks.
Summer's finally here.
Today I felt like I was riding through the road instead of on it, it's going to take a little while to get my legs back.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Summer's finally here.
Today I felt like I was riding through the road instead of on it, it's going to take a little while to get my legs back.

I've had a bad stomach bug and didn't manage a ride today. But hope to do a small ride tomorrow. Have not been in the mood for riding since I've been back from my hols. Need to get my mojo back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had a bad stomach bug and didn't manage a ride today. But hope to do a small ride tomorrow. Have not been in the mood for riding since I've been back from my hols. Need to get my mojo back.
Yeah it's definitely tough to get going after a break.

I looked at a Genesis Croix de Fer today. I'm hoping the lure of a new bike will get me close to where I was asap.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Did my longest ever ride on Friday and managed to forget to turn Strava back on after one of the stops. Noticed it at the next stop. Not the end of the world, only cost me 20 or so miles, but it's a bit frustrating and wanted to check with you lot in case you know how to amend the details? From what I can see online it's not possible, but if anyone knows it'll be one of you!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Did my longest ever ride on Friday and managed to forget to turn Strava back on after one of the stops. Noticed it at the next stop. Not the end of the world, only cost me 20 or so miles, but it's a bit frustrating and wanted to check with you lot in case you know how to amend the details? From what I can see online it's not possible, but if anyone knows it'll be one of you!

If you rode with someone else using Strava, I think you can use their data if they send it to you. Could be wrong??

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If you went on a ride with someone, there is a bit of software that links .gpx files together. You could export your strava data as a .gpx, then if you were with someone, get their file, and the application allows you to trim it down to the section you need. Depends on Mac or Windows, but there are free bits of software for this, and you'd gain your friends time data for that segment you use. Not sure if you were on your own whether you could create a track data for the distance, and merge it - just wouldn't have the time data.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right first things first.
If it isn't on Strava it didn't happen, so stop grizzling about a figment of your imagination. :lol:

If you were riding with someone else, you can upload their details, as your own.
They need to be able to save the file from their device, and email it to you.
From there you can save the file to your computer and then upload it to Strava.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Right first things first.
If it isn't on Strava it didn't happen, so stop grizzling about a figment of your imagination. :lol:

If you were riding with someone else, you can upload their details, as your own.
They need to be able to save the file from their device, and email it to you.
From there you can save the file to your computer and then upload it to Strava.

I pretty much only exercise for the strava miles - did 125 miles on the ride (have only managed 270 in total this year) and want every last yard logged! There was a group of us, sure I'll be able to get the details from one of them. Won't stop me, but it's a bit desperate isn't it?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I pretty much only exercise for the strava miles - did 125 miles on the ride (have only managed 270 in total this year) and want every last yard logged! There was a group of us, sure I'll be able to get the details from one of them. Won't stop me, but it's a bit desperate isn't it?!

Blimey that's some going, I believe I have just kudosed you.

I suggest you get on it now, before people delete the ride from their devices.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Although there was a reasonable amount of bikes, I thought the turnout for the Save Brighton Cycle Track ride was disappointing. Shame on the Geeks. I've also bollocked my Niece and her Husband.

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
Geeks, I know its a while since I posted but I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please.

I'm in the market for an upgrade from my aluminium Tiagra spec'd BMC. This is likely to be my last bike purchase for quite some time so I wanted something that would be a worthwhile upgrade from my BMC and have some longevity.

I was thinking carbon but then what spec to go for? Ultegra as its a decent upgrade from the Tiagra? Has anyone tried the electronic shifting Ultegra groupset?

My day-to-day about London bike is a Genesis so I started by looking at their zero range which has an identical frame from entry through to the pro bike.

I know I need to try as many different bikes as possible but wondered whether the Geeks could recommend anything I should try, or any other pearls of wisdom really.

Cheers all.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Geeks, I know its a while since I posted but I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please.

I'm in the market for an upgrade from my aluminium Tiagra spec'd BMC. This is likely to be my last bike purchase for quite some time so I wanted something that would be a worthwhile upgrade from my BMC and have some longevity.

I was thinking carbon but then what spec to go for? Ultegra as its a decent upgrade from the Tiagra? Has anyone tried the electronic shifting Ultegra groupset?

My day-to-day about London bike is a Genesis so I started by looking at their zero range which has an identical frame from entry through to the pro bike.

I know I need to try as many different bikes as possible but wondered whether the Geeks could recommend anything I should try, or any other pearls of wisdom really.

Cheers all.
Again, the advice will be to try plenty. Set your budget then you can look at some of the road.cc or cycling weekly buyers guides for that price.

I believe, if you're going for the fishing tackle (Shimano!) the 105 groupset is so well reviewed that it may not be worth ultegra. Likewise, electronic is an expensive luxury that probably isn't worth a big chunk of your budget.

In that spirit, spent more on wheels and less on other stuff. If this is a bike for best then you'll really feel the difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports