[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After reading it I'm tempted to give the Limburg region a try on the bike one of these days.
I think us men of Sussex are predisposed to riding by lush green fields and hedgerows mixed with right angled turns up 10% narrow lanes.

As the chaps have said, the finish was all wrong again.
Although had it not been for the headwind it could have been different.
Valgren was damned either way and ended up being Gasparotto's windbreak.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hmm Amstel gold all a bit of an anti climax again. Much worse since they moved the finish to fit in the grandstands.

Yep, was a bit rubbish wasn't it? Hopefully Fleche Wallonne will be a bit more interesting, though not holding my breath on that one either.

As AGR goes, I didn't think it was too bad. We know they're mostly only ever going to wait until the last ascent of the Cauberg anyway.

With Gilbert and Kwia dropped that was already some added interest.
Krueziger attacks from where he attacked and won a couple of years ago.
Wellens attacks from a point in the race where he at least has a chance of winning, rather than too far out like he usually does.
Orica balls it up when really they should have delivered.
Sky have another ...let's spend all day at the front doing everyone's work for them for the sum total of feck all at the end of it.
Good to see Valgren live up to some of the hype that's been building around him. ( He did nothing wrong in the finale really as he had no choice but to effectively lead Gasparotto out if he wanted a podium spot).
Nice to see Alaphilippe back in shape.
Funny to see Colbrelli and Coquard outsprint Matthews.

And best of all.......having watched the emotional interview Gasparotto gave after finishing second in Brabantse Pijl on Wednesday, it was lovely to see him do it today for Antoine Demoitié.

Only downsides for me were:

Felline being silly and breaking his nose in the neutral zone :facepalm: I had him at 40/1 and the way the race panned out I reckon he would have been a good shout to win the sprint for 3rd.
No obligatory Weening attack.
Gilbert and J Rod's performance leaves my fantasy plans in a bit of a dilemma, just when I thought I had it all sorted. Not sure how J Rod is after his crash.

Looking forward to seeing who wins the uphill sprint on Wednesday now. My money would be on Henao, but luckily for him I won't actually be betting on him so he should stay safe.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think us men of Sussex are predisposed to riding by lush green fields and hedgerows mixed with right angled turns up 10% narrow lanes.

Well the Kemmelberg was great fun, and we had a fine time going at it from both cobbled ends, twice. Not sure it would have been so much fun with miles in the legs mind.

There's a few Flandrian climbs on the bucket list now, but that Limberg region does look rather nice too as almost something completely different.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Henao out of FW today. If you're quick you might be able to transfer him out of you had him in. Not sure what time deadline is.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So they've reacted to some crashes at Roubaix, one of which was later shown not to have involved any disc brake riders. Was there also something about the relatively sharp edges of the disk being dangerous? Anyway, the manufacturer of rubber brake blocks clearly left their brown paper bag in the right place...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
So they've reacted to some crashes at Roubaix, one of which was later shown not to have involved any disc brake riders. Was there also something about the relatively sharp edges of the disk being dangerous? Anyway, the manufacturer of rubber brake blocks clearly left their brown paper bag in the right place...
Yeah, this is going too far. Admittedly discs were pointless additions to the pro peloton as it's rubber on road that is the limiting factor and just about advertising. However, a lot of riders in sportives will have splashed out on disc bikes and can't just switch back.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, this is going too far. Admittedly discs were pointless additions to the pro peloton as it's rubber on road that is the limiting factor and just about advertising. However, a lot of riders in sportives will have splashed out on disc bikes and can't just switch back.

Yep. There but for the grace of God...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Liege - Bastogne - Liege is live on S4C tomorrow at 2.15pm.

Might be Welsh commentary but I can live with that.

Worthy back up if CyclingHubTV stream plays up (although they're usually very good it has to be said).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you think there will be a summer in Northern Europe? This has got to be the most wintry LBL ever.

Great isn't it. Should really open the race up. Was positively tropical in the Roubaix velodrome the other week though.

Back from a 40 mile charity ride this morning, at 11 year old pace, and I got quite chilly in that Northerly wind. Was worth it though for the smile on 1066's mini's face when she completely the ride :)

Just put S4C on the telly for live L-B-L coverage. I've heard cycling commentary in a fair few languages before but this is a first in Welsh for me. Not quite sure whether I like it or not yet...perhaps it's missing a proper Welsh "Geraint Thomas" rendering to make it truly worthwhile :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great isn't it. Should really open the race up. Was positively tropical in the Roubaix velodrome the other week though.

Back from a 40 mile charity ride this morning, at 11 year old pace, and I got quite chilly in that Northerly wind. Was worth it though for the smile on 1066's mini's face when she completely the ride :)

Just put S4C on the telly for live L-B-L coverage. I've heard cycling commentary in a fair few languages before but this is a first in Welsh for me. Not quite sure whether I like it or not yet...perhaps it's missing a proper Welsh "Geraint Thomas" rendering to make it truly worthwhile :lol:

Chapeau, especially to 1066 mini.

Yesterday's day out in London seems to have scuppered my plans to get out today, that and what looks like being a very entertaining climax to LBL.

Always next week...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Chapeau, especially to 1066 mini.

Yesterday's day out in London seems to have scuppered my plans to get out today, that and what looks like being a very entertaining climax to LBL.

Always next week...

Thanks, she's chuffed to bits and luckily prefers cold weather to hot as well, so not one complaint about the weather today at all.

Very entertaining LBL is putting it mildly. Not only is my man Edet in the break, we're now being treated to the Tommy V gurning show! It really doesn't get much better than this :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The cycling Gods smiled on me today. I got a bit carried away turning left onto a not-fully asphalt road. While leaning in, I hit gravel and the front slid causing me to nearly shat myself. The tyre quickly found grip and I got away with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went up the weirdest new climb today.
According to strava 'Rogate Climb' is 1.1 miles long, climbing 281ft, ave 5%.

I swear it looks almost pan flat!!

It's dead straight, open fields on one side, thick enough woodland on the other, with no obvious high point to ride too.

At the bottom I was sure it was a 2-3%er.
As I laboured away, my Garmin clocked it at a pretty consistent 7%, and even then I thought that was a mistake.

I'll know next time.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I went up the weirdest new climb today.
According to strava 'Rogate Climb' is 1.1 miles long, climbing 281ft, ave 5%.

I swear it looks almost pan flat!!

It's dead straight, open fields on one side, thick enough woodland on the other, with no obvious high point to ride too.

At the bottom I was sure it was a 2-3%er.
As I laboured away, my Garmin clocked it at a pretty consistent 7%, and even then I thought that was a mistake.

I'll know next time.

Take it you got a KOM then

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take it you got a KOM then
Oh good god no.
Thinking it's flat is very different to actually being flat!!

My friend, Col de Colin, has ridden it and I'm 'only' 30 secs behind his best time.
That is almost worthy of a special crown. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports