Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just had a quick look back at the last 5 or so kms, from yesterday.

At one point, the 4 leaders had 6 motorbikes around them.
While the chasing group had a further 3.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Something has definitely changed in the last few years. I heard somewhere that they are now, effectively, freelancers who have to compete to make sure they're getting the best shots. This forces them into risky moves to find the best positions.

Big overhaul needed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What an absolute tragedy that it is going to take the death of a talented young man to change something most people already knew was an accident waiting to happen. How many of us have watched these collisions and near misses? Isn't it time for helmet and bike cams, even drones to start covering most of the race reducing the need for vehicles. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What an absolute tragedy that it is going to take the death of a talented young man to change something most people already knew was an accident waiting to happen. How many of us have watched these collisions and near misses? Isn't it time for helmet and bike cams, even drones to start covering most of the race reducing the need for vehicles. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Not easy to know what to say in sad situations like this, especially given repeated events leading up to it.

You've put it perfectly and I echo your sentiments.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
image.jpeg

Right on the edge. Bit grim to find a few other little embedded sharp bits of grit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
View attachment 73290

Right on the edge. Bit grim to find a few other little embedded sharp bits of grit.
Assuming that doesn't go through, then pretend you haven't noticed it.

It's absolutely terrible advise, but if gouges like that warranted a new tyre I'd be even more broke than I already am.

I've got at least 6 similar on the front tyre of my commute, and am too scared to look at my proper bike.

Don't get me wrong you'll need a new tyre, just try and buy it on your terms.
Whatever happens to the probably battered tyres that have got me through winter, I'll not be buying new tyres until May/June so I have nice new summer ones.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. The outer surface of the tyre is rubber and the grip it offers does mean it will always get some bits of grit into the surface. The real protection is the kevlar and build up under that rubber layer. I've had pieces of glass and all sorts in my gatorskins that have nestled in the rubber but don't get through the inner layer. Just every now and again take the tyre off and manipulate it to flick bits out. That little nick wouldn't worry me.....although maybe it should!?:eek:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
View attachment 73290

mine are covered in nicks like these, short of new tyres every month or so I dont think there is a lot you can do. I would suggest regularly checking and removing the flint or glass and keeping an eye on the cut, I tend to replace my tyres annually on the summer bike and by the end of the season they have a load of cuts, but as long as they dont go right through the wall they seem to be fine. I did miss one the other week that had gone through though and the tube pushed its way out and punctured. Luckily it was at the start of the ride and one of the club riders had a spare wheel and lived just up the road!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks chaps. I got home 3 miles on 50 psi with it. Its gonna be a 'mental' thing now, especially on right bends.

I was gonna go out this afternoon, but not all clocks have been changed and we just had a hailstorm.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have been looking for a "bike chain cleaner device" anyone recommend one?
I have looked at amazon, wiggle, evans cycles and chain reactions.
I am no pro so I don't need anything expensive, but something that does the job well.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have been looking for a "bike chain cleaner device" anyone recommend one?
I have looked at amazon, wiggle, evans cycles and chain reactions.
I am no pro so I don't need anything expensive, but something that does the job well.

I used to use things like these, but don't anymore. They fall apart too quickly.

Better to get a quick release linked chain, and wash it in simple hot water and washing up liquid in a bucket!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

I was trying to find out where you recommended to get bikes maintenance (check-up) I tried to look in my history of quotes but couldn't find it. you said about one in the lancing area. sorry I know its random. if you could remember that would be great. please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was trying to find out where you recommended to get bikes maintenance (check-up) I tried to look in my history of quotes but couldn't find it. you said about one in the lancing area. sorry I know its random. if you could remember that would be great. please.
http://msgbikes.com

Mud Sweat and Gears.

***warning***

When it comes to geekdom compared to the fella at msg, our combined knowledge, passion, and love of cycling isn't enough to fill one of his bidons.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I used to use things like these, but don't anymore. They fall apart too quickly.

Better to get a quick release linked chain, and wash it in simple hot water and washing up liquid in a bucket!

Agree with the first bit, which is why its best to avoid walking in and buying. Seek out the bargain.

As for the second, I tried that once and opted for a service straight after due to it sounding like I put the wrong size chain back on. Stuff that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Agree with the first bit, which is why its best to avoid walking in and buying. Seek out the bargain.

As for the second, I tried that once and opted for a service straight after due to it sounding like I put the wrong size chain back on. Stuff that.

:lolol:

I do it every week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here