Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right, Strava has bent me over my handle bars and given me a right rogering again in messing up my ride recording. This is the 3rd time in about 6 rides. Not sure what is going wrong, but something is and I don't think it's me. 2 years using it with an iPhone over 3000 miles and not a problem, now all of a sudden every other ride. :censored:

What Garmin do I need!!??

I don't know how it works with smartphones. There is a chrome issue though with garminges; I now have to upload via IE.

The 200 is fab, but be prepared to be under elevated against riders with better ones. I'd now go for the 510 for the heart rate and cadence extras.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
What Garmin do I need!!??

I've been grappling with this nugget of a question for a while - and still use my phone.

I want some live stats, navigation (turn by turn) and something which isn't tablet size on the bars.

Garmin 1000 - too big, too expensive
Garmin 810 - unreliable (GPS drift and TBT) according to reviews, doesn't use Glonass, about £215 from handtec or Bike DiscountDE
Garmin 800 - needs a usb cable to pc to upload rides - too much of a faff for a daily commute
Garmin 510 - no navigation
Polar V650 - hahahah, no TBT navigation yet, no wireless uploads yet, manual push to strava, too big???
Lezyne mini or power or super - no TBT navigation, not quite available
Mio Cyclo 505 - Wiggle £250 - my current favourite choice

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've been grappling with this nugget of a question for a while - and still use my phone.

I want some live stats, navigation (turn by turn) and something which isn't tablet size on the bars.

Garmin 1000 - too big, too expensive
Garmin 810 - unreliable (GPS drift and TBT) according to reviews, doesn't use Glonass, about £215 from handtec or Bike DiscountDE
Garmin 800 - needs a usb cable to pc to upload rides - too much of a faff for a daily commute
Garmin 510 - no navigation
Polar V650 - hahahah, no TBT navigation yet, no wireless uploads yet, manual push to strava, too big???
Lezyne mini or power or super - no TBT navigation, not quite available
I have to say I've had no problems with my 810. I love the fact that the ride is uploaded and synced to Strava before I even get off the bike.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I don't, but at the right price, [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] should. It does everything that I could ever want.

Might not be a bad idea. The iPhone still does a lot of the navigation, HR, cadence (if I go that route) stuff, could just get as basic a model as possible just as a backup GPS recorder.

Having posted on the Strava forums, it seems that iOS8 and the later iPhones have increased their capabilities of sensing you moving / excercising, but this has created problems with the Strava software. I may try recording my next ride with MotionXGPS app, then upload it as you would a Garmin device to see if that works.

I take my phone out anyway, so does annoy me I might have to get another device when I know the phone SHOULD do everything I need.

I've got a Mio Cyclo 315 (which I think is more-or-less the same but without bluetooth/wifi functionality). Mine has now turned into a decent bit of kit, but it's taken numerous software updates and one posting it off to be repaired to get to that stage. There are still software problems, but they hit people at random (i.e. I'm in the clear at the moment, but it's perfectly possible that the next update will f*** me up). Pity as the hardware itself is good. For the price difference versus the Garmin equivalent (probably the 1000) I'd say it's worth the occasional hassle.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Two solutions to all this:
1. Go Strava cold turkey. The freedom is a wonderful thing!
2. If you insist on being a slave to numbers- don't write off the Bryton Rider range.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I hope ITV keep David Millar on board because I'm loving his insights in this Dauphine. Bearing that in mind, what he said about Rolland the other day and the fact that he rolled in with the grupetto over 30 mins down today, I'm tempted to back a Rolland breakaway win for tomorrow.
Great stage today again btw for anyone who missed it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another great Dauphine stage!

Long overdue, but finally get my first betting win of the season :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Heads up Strava Geeks.

It's Saturday & [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] has done less than 100 miles.

I sense something epic (and fookin fast) is happening tomorrow morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another great Dauphine stage!

Long overdue, but finally get my first betting win of the season :)
Well done.

It certainly was good racing.
This race has been a very good advert for 'new' cycling.
Irrespective if you believe in the sport or not, and why should you.
We all know the last 3 days of GC contention would have looked very different in years gone by.

I was also struck by 'words' we occasionally have with non bicyclists.
As Froome's being interview by, bat-shite crazy, Matt Rendall and signing fans autographs on his way to the start line.

Not an oversized headphone in sight.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Rolland bet was irresistible at 33/1, but so was Mientjes at 40/1 given the situation
with Teklehaimanot in the KOM. The £22 winnings still leaves me down on the season so far though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here