Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Come to this thread late, but this was the first time I've managed to watch a race live in ages... how much of an idiot was the driver of the neutral service car!!?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come to this thread late, but this was the first time I've managed to watch a race live in ages... how much of an idiot was the driver of the neutral service car!!?
Very, although he's not the first:-

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Unfortunately I was unable to watch the race live today. Was hoping to find a torrent re run or you tube full race coverage this evening but instead had to settle for a stream of Eurosport's 11.30 highlights show.

I only really have one question now after watching it back....how the feck has Sean Kelly not managed to punch Carlton Kirby by now!? That bloke gets more and more annoying the more I have to suffer him. From now on it's turn the sound off or foreign streams whenever I can find them instead. Can't comment much on the race itself because Eurosport highlights package was pretty poor in terms of showing how the race actually took shape before Kristoff and Terpstra got away.

Oh well, Paris Roubaix next week and hopefully the French will do a much better job of tv coverage and I'll be able to watch live coverage too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello geeks :wave:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's often worth checking in on Australia's SBS cycling central for a stream of a race and different commentators.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

They do most of the major events and a few smaller ones throughout the year.

If I remember rightly I've found Aussie streams to be geo restricted when I've tried them via steephill.

Have to say that I've been very impressed by Robbie McEwen everytime I've heard him with Phil & Paul on the Tour Down Under.

Generally I can take anyone commentating or being the pundit, but Carlton Kirby is just getting me more and more wound up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers SB, u know u love it!!! So the next Q is are there any local geeks that could help me fit the parts if I bought them??
The best and most expensive way of building a tool kit would be to buy the specific Shimano tool or it's http://www.parktool.com/ equivalent, as and when you need it.

Alternatively you could get a generic set like this:-

http://road.cc/content/review/147435-x-tools-bike-tool-kit

Bearing in mind I got a similar set free when subscribing to CycleSport I imagine there are cheaper options of the same.

It certainly won't let you down, but obviously you do get what you play for.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If I remember rightly I've found Aussie streams to be geo restricted when I've tried them via steephill.

Have to say that I've been very impressed by Robbie McEwen everytime I've heard him with Phil & Paul on the Tour Down Under.

Generally I can take anyone commentating or being the pundit, but Carlton Kirby is just getting me more and more wound up.

Download a program called HOLA.

It allows you to view anything which is Geo restricted. Very safe and non-intrusive program.

Been using it for years now to get around the BBC's geo restrictions.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I met this guy at l'etape last year - 2 or 3 times over the course, including at the top of the Tourmalet. The locals were tutting, shaking their heads, raising their eyes - mad English, not respecting the way cycling should be - and everyone who approached him knew he had to be English.

He beat me up the climbs, but then I overtook him on the descents. That says I am better at descending than him, yeah?

http://road.cc/content/news/147693-...-training-ride-tour-de-france-raleigh-chopper

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I met this guy at l'etape last year - 2 or 3 times over the course, including at the top of the Tourmalet. The locals were tutting, shaking their heads, raising their eyes - mad English, not respecting the way cycling should be - and everyone who approached him knew he had to be English.

He beat me up the climbs, but then I overtook him on the descents. That says I am better at descending than him, yeah?

http://road.cc/content/news/147693-...-training-ride-tour-de-france-raleigh-chopper

Was he doing a wheelie as he went past you?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Was he doing a wheelie as he went past you?

He may as well have been.

He was very, very fit.

When you are toiling up a mountain in the South of France, nothing is more likely to lighten the mood than seeing a northern bloke heading up the same slopes on a Chopper. :smile:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He may as well have been.

He was very, very fit.

When you are toiling up a mountain in the South of France, nothing is more likely to lighten the mood than seeing a northern bloke heading up the same slopes on a Chopper. :smile:

In a way, is it anything but annoying? Is it not just attention seeking nonsense? I think I would have tutted too. Take it seriously or **** off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In a way, is it anything but annoying? Is it not just attention seeking nonsense? I think I would have tutted too. Take it seriously or **** off.

Well, your point has some merit...

However, seeing purists getting hot under the collar because of someone being a bit eccentric amuses me. As does the sight of someone riding up monument climbs on a Chopper.

The French did not seem to see the funny side, though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Day trip to France for a cycle down to Roubaix and back on the cards for Sunday. Any geeks fancy it
, and/or able to give route advice? Plan so far is car on ferry over, drive about 20 miles from Calais and then cycle to Roubaix giving a round trip cycle of about 120 flatish miles. Armchairclubber and me so far.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The best and most expensive way of building a tool kit would be to buy the specific Shimano tool or it's http://www.parktool.com/ equivalent, as and when you need it.

Alternatively you could get a generic set like this:-

http://road.cc/content/review/147435-x-tools-bike-tool-kit

Bearing in mind I got a similar set free when subscribing to CycleSport I imagine there are cheaper options of the same.

It certainly won't let you down, but obviously you do get what you play for.

I have the Ice Toolz tool kit it is very good for that price. Pretty solid tools as well, they are all still fully functional after more than five years of use.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

However, seeing purists getting hot under the collar because of someone being a bit eccentric amuses me. As does the sight of someone riding up monument climbs on a Chopper.

I'm with you PM. If he was miles behind everyone and causing a nuisance then it's different but he's putting the hammer down on bloody chopper. Don't have a pop unless you can do better.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm with you PM. If he was miles behind everyone and causing a nuisance then it's different but he's putting the hammer down on bloody chopper. Don't have a pop unless you can do better.

I'm only jesting, I'm sure its all good fun. The annoying thing is probably wanting to know what he'd do on a decent bike? Frustrating to come out to watch to see someone fly up a climb on a chopper thinking bloodyhell, how fast would he get up here on a bit of carbon!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm only jesting, I'm sure its all good fun. The annoying thing is probably wanting to know what he'd do on a decent bike? Frustrating to come out to watch to see someone fly up a climb on a chopper thinking bloodyhell, how fast would he get up here on a bit of carbon!

Don't worry, I know you are BS. I imagine he must have started out as a "conventional" cyclist with some history of decent performances on carbon?!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't worry, I know you are BS. I imagine he must have started out as a "conventional" cyclist with some history of decent performances on carbon?!

It's probably the equivalent of when I was playing in the London Southern Amateur League and this young kid from South America on some work placement played for the opposition who promptly made me look a complete idiot for the whole game. He had the skills for the professional game, or at least conference level, but he was only over temporary so played with those he'd made friends with. I did try and kick him up in the air to show him what English football is all about, but still couldn't get near him. Fact is, he shouldn't have been there!!

Mar 12, 2008
Day trip to France for a cycle down to Roubaix and back on the cards for Sunday. Any geeks fancy it
, and/or able to give route advice? Plan so far is car on ferry over, drive about 20 miles from Calais and then cycle to Roubaix giving a round trip cycle of about 120 flatish miles. Armchairclubber and me so far.

Sounds like a cracking trip! I'm going too but by car (unfortunately). My first time at Paris-Roubaix so looking forward to it, we're heading straight for the Arenberg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here