Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

After some thoughts, I'm close to an upgrade and today looked @the giant defy 0 @£1k and then saw the 2014 propel on a deal from £2k to £1200. Full carbon with 105 or alli with ultegra. Any advice gents?

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They've obviously heard what form you are in today :thumbsup:

Yeah right! :lol:

I think I got unlucky on my one and only day set of bets in Qatar by pulling off a Stat trick and all my bets coming good the next day instead, when I didn't bother to repeat them from stage one. :(

AVV is definitely favourite in Oman now, and there's Majka and TJVG to contend with too, but at 33/1 I think Arredondo is fantastic e/w value. All we need now is some decent tv coverage because even the youtube highlights round up has been woeful so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After some thoughts, I'm close to an upgrade and today looked @the giant defy 0 @£1k and then saw the 2014 propel on a deal from £2k to £1200. Full carbon with 105 or alli with ultegra. Any advice gents?
Same as usual.

Ride them both and buy the one that makes you smile more.

If you have time ride some other makes and models between now fully committing on a Giant, you might be surprised.

The Bike Store Worthing and Quest Adventure Broadwater would be a good place to start.
Even MSG Lancing might have something hanging around.

Last edited:

Same as usual.

Ride them both and buy the one that makes you smile more.

If you have time ride some other makes and models between now fully committing on a Giant, you might be surprised.

The Bike Store Worthing and Quest Adventure Broadwater would be a good place to start.
Even MSG Lancing might have something hanging around.

Cheers SB getting into it a bit much but don't have the cash to match the xcited enthusiasm! ! Been into the shop in Worthing but always feel like I don't know enough; resulting in feeling like a numty! !

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Cheers SB getting into it a bit much but don't have the cash to match the xcited enthusiasm! ! Been into the shop in Worthing but always feel like I don't know enough; resulting in feeling like a numty! !

I'm no Geek and felt the same as you when deciding which bike to buy, if you like the look of it and it feels right for you go for it. It doesn't matter what other people think it's you that has to ride it. :thumbsup:

I'm no Geek and felt the same as you when deciding which bike to buy, if you like the look of it and it feels right for you go for it. It doesn't matter what other people think it's you that has to ride it. :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, was sure about the defy but the Mrs was like "but for £200 notes more you could have the carbon! I guess I'm interested in whether u guys would go for carbon, alli blah, blah!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks buddy, was sure about the defy but the Mrs was like "but for £200 notes more you could have the carbon! I guess I'm interested in whether u guys would go for carbon, alli blah, blah!

I would definitely go for carbon. If you don't now, you will soon, so cut out the middle man and the unnecessary double- expense, and go for it now!

If you try them both you'll see what I mean. In my opinion, like.

I would definitely go for carbon. If you don't now, you will soon, so cut out the middle man and the unnecessary double- expense, and go for it now!

If you try them both you'll see what I mean. In my opinion, like.

Cheers PM . Will do! Do you think there's much between 105 and ultegra?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I have never tried Ultegra, but have 105 on my bike - it is smooth and reliable. I really think that the difference in the frame material will be far more noticeable than the difference between 105 and Ultegra.

I have never tried Ultegra, but have 105 on my bike - it is smooth and reliable. I really think that the difference in the frame material will be far more noticeable than the difference between 105 and Ultegra.

Brilliant, thanks for that @PM &@SB, I'll try them both and see!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're no numpty on your Merida clocking up miles.
Pogue has nailed it, but all bikes do feel different, and you will notice it.

The Bike Store isn't High Fidelity they do want to sell you a bike.
They have Pogues Roubaix for £1300, and that will feel different to the Propel.
Different good different bad, who knows.
The same applies to whatever Quest has, or a carbon Boardman in Halfords.

If you want to extend your search Southdowns will have Trek, or my LBS Blazing Saddles has Cube's and Focus.

After that you will know THE bike, if its the Propel happy days.
But don't let your wallet make the decision.
You'll never quite bond with bike x if a nagging voice is saying 'but bike y was nice though wasn't it'.

Oh and if your not quite there with the money, using this time to ride other bikes will speed up your ability to save.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Just for SB, here is a side by side comparison of 105 v Ultegra

images.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Just gone full carbon and won't be looking back now, there is a difference as PM said.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice win in Portugal for G today I see. Green mountain stage in Oman tomorrow too and before we know it it will be classics season again - can't wait!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How to increase cycling endurance

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/how-to-increase-cycling-endurance-1023/

Shutting the stable door, but hey.
The one they missed off was 'lose a couple of stone'. :lol:

I see from Strava that a couple of riders from our local club did a 200km ride today. Apparently it's part of a qualification system to ride Paris -Brest- Paris in August. You have to complete qualifying rides of varying lengths 200,300,400 or 600km rides in order to be able to take part :eek:

I like this snippet from the advertising garb:

This is a serious long-distance cycling event. To ensure that riders possess the necessary fitness and experience, they need to show that they are capable enough by completing a series of qualifying event called Brevets de Randoneurs Mondiaux

More info here: http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/cycling/paris-brest-paris

I think I'll just content myself with my own little milestone yesterday and wish everyone else good luck.......nutters! :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Big climb to finish stage 3 of Tour of Andalucia just starting. Froome needs to try to get 8 seconds on Contador. What will Sky try?

Anyone else watching?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here