Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Need a damn sight more than a cuppa to get back home again, in this weather.

Bring [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] with you and sit on his wheel. Did you see his long ride the day of your 10 miler, with an average speed a mere 0.9 mph under yours? :eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bring [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] with you and sit on his wheel. Did you see his long ride the day of your 10 miler, with an average speed a mere 0.9 mph under yours? :eek:
That's done my mojo the power of good :down:.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Useful summary of cycling on eurosport

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bugger.

I thought I'd try and regain my mojo by booking the puncheur, but it's already sold out. :down:
I'm now number 4 on the waiting list.

Are any geeks booked in?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Finally ! A club ride where I didn't get dropped like a stone :)

One of those nights tonight where I felt pretty good for some unknown reason. Even got back onto someone's wheel in a splintered group on a never ending drag and managed to work with him and take my turn in front a couple of times. Still a ride that pales against the good riders, but I'm quite chuffed with it and that feels good to me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Defo too cold to ride this morning. Roads looked dry, but puddles had frozen solid. Went for an ambitious run instead. Garminge fannied about finding a satellite and it was too cold to wait for it. 4km in and my hips reminded me why I'd given running up previously. Lots of walking followed. No way that is going on strava. Later on drove past a bird on a Cannondale, temp had risen to 0.5 and she looked very cautious. :love:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm doing it again.
Have had over a month off the bike though, so need to get training sharpish...
I just tried mailing the organizer to find out if historically 4th substitute gets in, but it would appear he's worse than me when it comes to managing an email account.
Who wants to do some seriously hard miles in Jan & Feb with no pay off in March!!!

Although my ride to Shoreham in Friday's biblical monsoon has perked me up a little, and I have a couple of days off work this week, so hopefully I can get my motivation up a bit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Try again

421bc6a9f90b1179f53919887b693eb7.jpg
I'm a bit miffed I can't get Eurosport player through my PS3, If I could I'd bin off Sky.

I'll have to see how many of those races I watch and judge as to whether they (the recording box, HD, etc) are worthwhile keeping.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, TDU has started....well sort of.

Brief highlights, with rubbish audio, here:

[yt]Xiwo6tYEiUg[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1066 what are you putting your improvement in chain gang riding down to?
Are your pb's still going up or is it technique.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1066 what are you putting your improvement in chain gang riding down to?
Are your pb's still going up or is it technique.

What improvement in chain gang riding!? I've only ever been on one chain gang ride... I think I need dry weather, little wind and no ice threat before I venture out with the Wednesday night nutters again :lol:

I have been on a few Friday night club rides though and a Sunday club ride opened my eyes too. More regular riding has helped my fitness a bit, but the main thing I've taken away from club riding is just an urge and need to ride faster now, even when on my own. You have to take loads of credit too SB as concentrating on cadence has probably been THE biggest improvement to my riding. I'm so glad you talked me into that one, but I'm still not joining 'Team CMS' :wink:

I went out with our very own armchair clubber again today. It's as good as trying to keep up with the club riders as he's well above my level and then some! All I aim to do is keep trying to get the miles in and improve little by little where I can. Fortunately cold weather isn't too much of a problem for me, but if we have a steaming hot Summer then all my base work now could go tits up as I hide from the heat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry I must have been confusing your rides.
I guess it doesn't really matter as any improvement in January is fantastic.

See how you get on with my perennial favourite, pedaling from 3 to 9 o'clock.
I always forget about 'dragging my up pedal foot' back, but did remember on Friday.
Its so much smoother I just can't break the 40 years of 'push down' pedaling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To be honest the time I do the 3 to 9 o'clock pedalling is only really when I'm beginning to struggle and need to put an extra effort in on a climb. That's probably due to not wanting to sink into pushing squares :lol: I can't say I do the 3-9 thing as a standard, even though I can see the merit in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here