Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Knowing it was gonna be well mild this morning, I was looking forward to my last ride out this year in the Molteni. What a bonus that it felt a bit loose round the tummy area. Happy pants indeed. Struggled to keep close to my mate at times, but dropped him at others. I guess it shows how hard it is to coordinate your purple spells. Hope to sneak out tomorrow morning despite forecast being very cold in comparison with today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Danny Mac is a proper nutter isn't he.

Beautifully shot film as ever. Nice to have music from the late Martyn Bennett. I have his Bothy Culture album. It's a tragedy he died so young.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Heads up.

Lombardy tomorrow, last big race of the season.

Would love to see Kwia bring it home with the stripes on. Be the most fitting end to what's been a great season of cycling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, going out in a betting flourish to finish off another profitable season.

£10 e/w on Gilbert @ 10/1 for tomorrow. Very rare I go more than 50p or £1 stakes but haven't bet for a while, aside from Colbrelli in the Worlds, and will still be up overall even if this one doesn't come in tomorrow.,

Liking the new finish, and given the tiny section of cobbles and his sterling team effort in the Worlds, I have a little feeling he could be in the mix here, riding for himself as team leader.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've just had quite a work out. As flat a ride as I can get albeit circling around my manor. On the drops the whole way. No freewheeling. Same gear, just flipped between big and middle ring. Average speed was pretty consistent. Kinda hated it, but kinda feel I have found a mandatory training Sunday ride, so Saturdays can be for fun.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone else watching Lombardy now?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone else watching Lombardy now?
I caught the last 20k's.

Sorry 1066 but I couldn't stop myself from laughing when the commentator said:-

'here comes Gilbert bridging the gap, bringing Val Verde with him'.

I just pictured you having a massive tourettes outburst.

Fabulous jump by Martin, I'd love to know his stats for the last 500m.
He looked jet propelled.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I caught the last 20k's.

Sorry 1066 but I couldn't stop myself from laughing when the commentator said:-

'here comes Gilbert bridging the gap, bringing Val Verde with him'

I just pictured you having a massive tourettes outburst.

Fabulous jump by Martin, I'd love to know his stats for the last 500m.
He looked jet propelled.

You're not wrong, I wasn't best pleased that's for sure. Not sure what to make of Sammmy Sanchez's move - really silly and threw it all away for BMC?, or a smart effort to get Valverde to actually come round Gilbert? Either way it doesn't really matter as Gilbert was clearly spent if he's finished 7th from that bunch sprint.

The consolation in losing the bet is that the win couldn't have gone to a nicer bloke and from a better move. Really chuffed for Dan Martin, especially after his LBL crash.

There was another very small consolation too - seeing pro riders also getting cramps. Kwia blew up big time and so did Konig, although Ryder managed to recover from them to put in a sterling effort for Dan Martin. I had cramps today towards the end of my ride too. It may only have been a 1/4 of the distance they rode today, and at a ever so slightly more sedate pace, but hey, I did take all the wind the whole way round! No need to say what wind :lol: T'was a beautiful day for a ride and my idea of perfection in terms of weather conditions.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On first view, I thought they let him have it. From the helicopter view, it looked awesome.

You can argue they all looked at each other as per usual, and that gifted the win, but Dan Martin well and truly earnt that win I reckon.
Brilliant attack timed to perfection. :bowdown:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyclist magazine are repeating their 3 editions for £1.01 subscription offer.

I subscribed to the last offer, it did cost £1.01 and I then cancelled the subscription (simply because I am tight!).

Anyway, just phoned me and offered me the same offer above, so I've signed up for another 3 editions for £1.01. In all I will have received 6 of these wonderful magazines for £2.02. Happy days.:albion2:

Well with the small amount of administrative hassle.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cyclist magazine are repeating their 3 editions for £1.01 subscription offer.

I subscribed to the last offer, it did cost £1.01 and I then cancelled the subscription (simply because I am tight!).

Anyway, just phoned me and offered me the same offer above, so I've signed up for another 3 editions for £1.01. In all I will have received 6 of these wonderful magazines for £2.02. Happy days.:albion2:

Well with the small amount of administrative hassle.

I bought a copy (might have been the first one) when it first came out. Lovely shot photos etc but the whole tone of the magazine came from a totally different world to the one I inhabit. Most of the articles were about expensive foreign cycling holidays and the gear in the reviews and adverts had me in "How much! :eek:" mode throughout the entire edition. I think the only thing of any value to me in there was the Jens interview, and even that wasn't brilliant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great piece of work!

Then after all that climbing over 212 miles, this is what gets me...Taylor also managed to average a respectable 16.3mph average speed over the 13 hours it took him to do the ride.

Blimey! :bowdown:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Compulsory helmet wearing for U14's in Jersey http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-29428094

Wonder if we'll ever see such a law being introduced here?

It really is a no-brainer.

This is magnificent.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/rider-creates-massive-bike-strava-138881#

I'm always trying to imagine 'pictures' in Strava rides. This one will not be beaten.

We really should have a geek art week.

Great piece of work!

Then after all that climbing over 212 miles, this is what gets me...Taylor also managed to average a respectable 16.3mph average speed over the 13 hours it took him to do the ride.

Blimey! :bowdown:

All in all, a top ride.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yay. Just got an email from Planet X saying my bike is being built tomorrow! May even get it by the weekend, though that's probably a bit tight for them. Any tips on keeping one's bike an oneself in good condition during shitty winter weather would be much appreciated. I think I may have to avoid using it in wet conditions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here