Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I know he spurred me on into 3 figures, even at 141 miles on the week I didn't even make the top 3.

Just in case you missed the separate thread, collectively, last week, the geeks logged 1270.4 miles.

Which means we rode to Valletta, capital of Malta.
Or better still beyond Casablanca or Reykjavik.

I'm usually top until about Tuesday lunchtime!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leeds' nos 14 now has me as confused as a fat northern chanting homophobic abuse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I beg your pardon?
I might be a closet Leeds fan now Mr Bianchi plays for them.

In the same way a fat northern chanting homophobic abuse may well be a closet gaylord. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I might be a closet Leeds fan now Mr Bianchi plays for them.

In the same way a fat northern chanting homophobic abuse may well be a closet gaylord. :lol:

Ahhhh, yes, it all makes sense now.

I didn't notice that Leeds had a Bianchi. Have they got a Specialized as well?

A mate of mine called Matt has a Bianchi...obviously he is known as Matt Bianchi. Who's side are you on?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hi Geeks

I have the pleasure of organising two very rare and exclusive Charity Days at the Lee Valley Velodrome with Team GB Gold Medallists. The first day was very well received by experienced and beginners alike and if you could be kind enough to share details with those who you might think are interested, it would be appreciated by this Albion fan...If you have a look at www.facebook.com/Legacy300 you can have a look at images from the first day.

This is a unique way to support your chosen good cause and GB Athletes, full details can be found on https://www.facebook.com/events/243278855869700/

Please contact me with any questions.

Regards
Billy

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and support shown a few months ago. I eventually went for the Boardman (2011-13) MTB Pro (Med), and although it retailed at just over £1,000 I saw it had dropped to £899 due to the new bike coming out. I left it a while having noted that Halfords still had around 100 in stock, checked back a few weeks later and they were £699. Unfortunately I left it another two days and called back to buy one and found out they'd all be sent back to the depot. A quick call to Halfords got me this great spec'd bike for £599 plus a £50 voucher.

Been out on it a few time and other than the nobbliest tyres on the planet it's great, I'll change the tyres this weekend but the bike is great. That is all.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I'm heading along to a place called Cadence Performance in South London this afternoon for a Retul bike fitting. The location looks horrendous (next to Crystal Palace Park), but the service they provide looks excellent. Has anyone else had anything like this done or used these guys?

Morning All. I've finally joined the road bike massive, after a few years of "pootling" with my family on hybrid bikes. Got the bug when my knees said no more running and football, and last week got a Boardman road bike, near the bottom of the range, until I decide if I'm dedicated enough for something tastier!
I've ridden the last 10 miles each way of my commute this week, (first time in 18 years riding to work) and feeling fantastic.
Question to the experts. I opted for Shimano PD-R540 road pedals and road shoes, and am finding the getting in and out of them REALLY tricky! Had a fall off at traffic lights already, and felt a proper tit 'cause I couldn't twist out the pedals quick enough.
What do you use, and do you recommend sticking with these road pedals?
Thanks and looking forward to joining in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Morning All. I've finally joined the road bike massive, after a few years of "pootling" with my family on hybrid bikes. Got the bug when my knees said no more running and football, and last week got a Boardman road bike, near the bottom of the range, until I decide if I'm dedicated enough for something tastier!
I've ridden the last 10 miles each way of my commute this week, (first time in 18 years riding to work) and feeling fantastic.
Question to the experts. I opted for Shimano PD-R540 road pedals and road shoes, and am finding the getting in and out of them REALLY tricky! Had a fall off at traffic lights already, and felt a proper tit 'cause I couldn't twist out the pedals quick enough.
What do you use, and do you recommend sticking with these road pedals?
Thanks and looking forward to joining in.
There's your first mistake, right there.

Your tumble should be viewed as a badge of honour, not the titism it actually is.

All roadies have done the same, anyone that says they haven't is lying or isn't a roadie.

With that in mind, welcome aboard.
If you stop learning from this thread, check your pulse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I opted for Shimano PD-R540 road pedals and road shoes, and am finding the getting in and out of them REALLY tricky! Had a fall off at traffic lights already, and felt a proper tit 'cause I couldn't twist out the pedals quick enough. What do you use, and do you recommend sticking with these road pedals?

I've got these pedals! :thumbsup:

I've had one fall trying to start again on a hill as I had to stop as I'd dropped something. I've got them adjusted to the loosest possible tension setting for twisting in and out. Took me a while to get used to as I'd always used SPD's and they clip in and out much easier, but now I have to admit that I don't really think about the unclipping side of things.

Where I get caught out still is setting off. With one foot clipped in, I start off and if I don't get the other foot in straight away, I can end up slipping off the pedal. I kind of don't get so worried about clipping in so quickly now though, so after that first revolution I might not be clipped in but I just take it easy and make sure the foot doesn't slip, then once there is a bit of motion in the bike, clipping in is easy. (this is why I came off setting off on a hill though as I got no real momentum into the bike, clipped in, but was then stationary). I still hate starting off on a hill, but with time I've got much more confident with it.

Love these pedals and my shoes though. Nice bit of float on them, and never have any hotspots or discomfort.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I went from years of riding/racing downhill clipped in to road riding and struggled with my pedals at first (look keo easy) you'll get use to them eventually. And as said before, no shame in falling when stopped, we've all been there.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And thanks Bold, I'll persevere for a while with the pedals. I've just this minute loosened the tension so let's see how it feels on the way home.
The reason I asked is that most of the commuter riders at my work use the MTB types that look a lot easier.
Will keep you posted,

The SPD mtb type are easier as it's generally a small metal clip that slots into the pedal better. It can also be disguised into a normal looking shoe and to be fair are ideally suited for commutes and general riding. However, this is also their weakness in that on longer rides the connection is small and you can feel the 'hotspot' on the sole of your foot where the connection is as all the power is going through this point. The road cleats are larger and spread that load across as much of the front of your foot with the anchor at the front then a large clip at the back. It is slightly more difficult to clip in, but more comfortable and a better connection with the pedal overall - hence roadies will generally have this type, although many do stick with the mtb type.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yep, we've all taken a tumble. I was so paranoid about getting my foot in when I started racing that my Dad would hold me up at the start line, all clipped in and ready to go!!

On a more sacrilegious note - I've decided to move to the dark side and commit some multi-sport heresy!! Anyone on here have any experience of moving from cycling to triathlon?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep, we've all taken a tumble. I was so paranoid about getting my foot in when I started racing that my Dad would hold me up at the start line, all clipped in and ready to go!!

On a more sacrilegious note - I've decided to move to the dark side and commit some multi-sport heresy!! Anyone on here have any experience of moving from cycling to triathlon?

My brother-in-law is trying to tempt me into this sort of thing, only his idea is in the Lake District where we climb a mountain, cycle 50 mile, then kayak round a lake…

I just thought I'd rather cycle up the mountain, cycle the 50 mile, then cycle round the lake! :lolol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I went from rugby to triathlon (due to a rugby injury). I only completed one sprint triathlon to date, about 4 weeks ago (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run). One universal truth that I learnt is that the bike-run transition is hell, your legs will not want to work, and they will really hurt. I really enjoyed my first attemp at triathlon, and may well do another one again in the future.

The best thing about triathlon, was the it encouraged me to buy a road bike. Although, unlike the brave [MENTION=698]Brixton Seagull 2[/MENTION], I still use running shoes and toe clips. I will get around to graduating to cycling shoes one of these days...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I went from rugby to triathlon (due to a rugby injury). I only completed one sprint triathlon to date, about 4 weeks ago (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run). One universal truth that I learnt is that the bike-run transition is hell, your legs will not want to work, and they will really hurt. I really enjoyed my first attemp at triathlon, and may well do another one again in the future.

The best thing about triathlon, was the it encouraged me to buy a road bike. Although, unlike the brave [MENTION=698]Brixton Seagull 2[/MENTION], I still use running shoes and toe clips. I will get around to graduating to cycling shoes one of these days...
I bet the transition hurts!

I'm aiming for a sprint in April and Olympic in June - I looked at this year's sprint results and saw the winner's run and hike times and thought "no problem". I thinking putting them together will be a bit more difficult though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here