Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Viewing heads up for the weekend.

San Sabastian tomorrow.

Commonwealth games road race, women's and men's, on Sunday.

Anyone else watch Tour of Wallonie and Commonwealth games ITT's?

Yes, I watched the men's ITT. Thought Dowsett gave a TT master class to be honest, v impressive ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Haven't touched my bike in 2 weeks! Need to get back out there.

I think I've got mine out about three times in July - and the best of those three days was a late evening, cloudy and it poured down mid ride which just made it even better. This July has killed me for the heat and I'll be glad when cooler weather returns.

Yes, I watched the men's ITT. Thought Dowsett gave a TT master class to be honest, v impressive ride.

Yep, it was an angry ride (according to him) that reaped the right results. Wallonie was good in parts. Meersman seemed to struggle in the sprints, even though he won one, the GC, and came second a few times. Stybar looked very strong and so I've stuck a £1 e/w on him for today @20/1. Not much value in a race that is a bit of a lottery.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might pay for considering 14/1 too short for GVA here. Anyone else watching?

Edit: Adam Yates :) Come on people, don't miss this one.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to settle down to San Seb on Eurosport from 8pm, in the meantime we might have some money to spend.

Work is extending the cycle2work scheme.

Previously we had £500 to spend in Halfords.
Now it would seem we have up to £1000, anywhere.
Although I do feel obliged to actually buy a bike from my LBS, making it likely to be Cube/Focus.

Here's my dilemma.
I have my carbon roadie.
Plus my alu/carbon commute.

My intention is to not trash my commute, as I have been doing, but 'promote' it to winter hack.
I do intend on riding through this year, honest.

Leaving commute/pop around the village as the gap that needs filling.
I don't want a mountain bike.
I guess I'll looking at a hybrid.
So how can I justify buying a cyclocross bike?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm going to settle down to San Seb on Eurosport from 8pm, in the meantime we might have some money to spend.

Work is extending the cycle2work scheme.

Previously we had £500 to spend in Halfords.
Now it would seem we have up to £1000, anywhere.
Although I do feel obliged to actually buy a bike from my LBS, making it likely to be Cube/Focus.

Here's my dilemma.
I have my carbon roadie.
Plus my alu/carbon commute.

My intention is to not trash my commute, as I have been doing, but 'promote' it to winter hack.
I do intend on riding through this year, honest.

Leaving commute/pop around the village as the gap that needs filling.
I don't want a mountain bike.
I guess I'll looking at a hybrid.
So how can I justify buying a cyclocross bike?

Will your lbs do what mine did and let you buy any £1k worth of stuff?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Getting increasingly frustrated with my bike. Still not located the creak even after a pretty much full strip down, grease and bolt tightening and now I have another problem. Just put on a new(secondhand) Deda carbon seatpost to go with the brand new shorter Deda stem and new(secondhand) Aliante saddle and was well chuffed with the weight saving and the look. Ultimate aim is to get a smoother comfier ride. Just taken the bike around the block and now I've got a slight grating feel and sound everytime I pedal :( All checks so far can't find anything rubbing and I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've put it to bed now and will start tomorrow with a chain clean up and lube and a squirt of grease in towards the bottom bracket. Any other ideas welcome.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Getting increasingly frustrated with my bike. Still not located the creak even after a pretty much full strip down, grease and bolt tightening and now I have another problem. Just put on a new(secondhand) Deda carbon seatpost to go with the brand new shorter Deda stem and new(secondhand) Aliante saddle and was well chuffed with the weight saving and the look. Ultimate aim is to get a smoother comfier ride. Just taken the bike around the block and now I've got a slight grating feel and sound everytime I pedal :( All checks so far can't find anything rubbing and I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've put it to bed now and will start tomorrow with a chain clean up and lube and a squirt of grease in towards the bottom bracket. Any other ideas welcome.

Love with it. My new de Rosa creaks every time I'm out the saddle, can't find my. Que sera!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Is it your knees ???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Love with it. My new de Rosa creaks every time I'm out the saddle, can't find my. Que sera!

That's interesting to hear about your de Rosa, and quite surprising.

My Battaglin is getting on and I'm happy with her in every other way. The creaking frustrates me but having stripped it down, had a new BB fitted by the lbs last year, I have now got to the point of living with it. But this grating sound is something new and really has to be sorted as there's something not right there. Only hope I can locate the source and get it sorted ok tomorrow.

Is it your knees ???

As it goes my knees and back aren't great due to my work history. If I was to still play football regular I'd suffer big time, but never really get any trouble cycling, so far :)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

My Battaglin is getting on and I'm happy with her in every other way. The creaking frustrates me but having stripped it down, had a new BB fitted by the lbs last year, I have now got to the point of living with it. But this grating sound is something new and really has to be sorted as there's something not right there. Only hope I can locate the source and get it sorted ok tomorrow.

As it goes my knees and back aren't great due to my work history. If I was to still play football regular I'd suffer big time, but never really get any trouble cycling, so far :)

Only joshing. I do hate a noise especially when riding a climb. Really nags Me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will your lbs do what mine did and let you buy any £1k worth of stuff?
Probably.
I guess I'd be only after wheels, but still be left with the prospect of trashing a winter hack by riding it everyday come hail or high water.

My bike has plenty of minor creaks and clicks.
I just put it down to age.
Although on Wednesday a new more menacing noise appeared while forcing up a climb.
By the time I'd gone down the descent I'd convinced myself the front wheel was coming off.
We pulled in at the bottom and everything seemed in place, but the moment I'm on rougher ground it does sound nasty.

It's penciled in for an MOT at the end of the month, hopefully it's not too serious.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Mmmm. I'm presuming it's not there when you stop pedalling?

If it's a grating sound then it seems the chain is rubbing on something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I nearly forgot, I saw one of these out today

eddy-merckx_molteni.jpg

Only one minor problem.

It was a converted fixie.
The bottom tube was as is.
But the rest of the bike was brilliant white, wheels, spokes, saddle, teeny tiny flat bars.
The bike was liberally covered in world champ band decals.

I had a tough job stopping myself from doing some damage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mmmm. I'm presuming it's not there when you stop pedalling?

If it's a grating sound then it seems the chain is rubbing on something.

Yep, only there when pedalling and only started tonight. Not there on my last ride. I can't see how the only adjustment I've done since, the carbon seatpost, can be responsible.

The clearance on the front derailleur is just a few mil, but then I set it that way a while back and it's been no problem . I checked there first and it isn't rubbing. I can't find anything so will have it up on the stand tomorrow and go from there. My last ride was in the soaking wet, and I've only given her a quick rub down with a rag straight after and nothing since. Hopefully it's just some grit that needs cleaning out and a good chain clean and lube and a general wash down around the cranks will sort it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a brilliant Commonwealth road race, had a bit of everything, no spoilers but I thoroughly enjoyed that, despite a heart stopping moment toward the end.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
It was odd coming back from an olympic distance multisport discipline that cannot be mentioned in this thread, which was in glorious sunshine to see them racing in those conditions up in Glasgow.

Was pretty chuffed with my effort on the bike today, managed to hold a 20mph+ average (just) over 40km.

Also did the whole event in under 2:30, though the final discipline was short (just under 9km). Still, I'll take it! ;-)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It was odd coming back from an olympic distance multisport discipline that cannot be mentioned in this thread, which was in glorious sunshine to see them racing in those conditions up in Glasgow.

Was pretty chuffed with my effort on the bike today, managed to hold a 20mph+ average (just) over 40km.

Also did the whole event in under 2:30, though the final discipline was short (just under 9km). Still, I'll take it! ;-)

That's great work. I'll check it out on Strava.

I have been toying with the idea of breaking one of the most sacred of the rules.... "a cycle should never be followed by a run or preceded by a swim"!

Don't tell pantani!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

Well done Bad Ash, I think I might have been at the same multisport that cannot be mentioned. It was odd cycling on what seemed almost all flat after spending most my time cycling around the Downs. People seem to slow down on even the smallest ramp. Guess we are very lucky to have such great cycling terrain around Sussex. What is the point of cycling without some hills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here