Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You two had better not come crying to me.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
They're nice bikes. Mine is the old (2008) version that came with full ultegra for the same price! No horrible bar tape either. :)

I am taking delivery of my Planet X Pro Carbon tomorrow, although it's taken a while. I managed to get my order in at the end of May, when the full Ultegra, carbon frame bike was selling for £1,000. It is now £1,200, but mine is essentially costing £600 on the cycle to work scheme.

When I ordered it, I was told it should take about 21 days to build and send to me. After 40 or so days I started to become a bit agitated, so I asked them what the delay was. Apparently they were waiting for the shimano Ultegra 6800 compact chain set and had been let down by their supplier. I told them that I could understand it wasn't their fault, but at that stage would struggle to recommend them to anyone else.

To thank me for my patience and understanding they said they'd throw in 2 carbon bottle cages for free; woopy-doo!

After another week with no progress I chased again and was told that the chain sets were due in the following week (this week) and that they would commit to having my bike with me by this Friday.

Yesterday I'd still not had any confirmation of my bike being built, so I chased again. Unfortunately they still hadn't received the Ultegra chainsets and didn't know when they'd be coming in, but they said I would be unlikely to get my bike this week now.

Half an hour later I received an email from their build team, apologising for the situation and offering me an alternative. If I wanted my bike tomorrow they'd fit an FSA SL-K BB386 Evo carbon chainset instead, for no extra cost. From what I've seen, this chainset retails at just under £500, compared to the Ultegra at around £200. I didn't have to think for long!

So, all being well, I should take delivery tomorrow. I'll post some pics and let you know how it goes.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I am taking delivery of my Planet X Pro Carbon tomorrow, although it's taken a while. I managed to get my order in at the end of May, when the full Ultegra, carbon frame bike was selling for £1,000. It is now £1,200, but mine is essentially costing £600 on the cycle to work scheme.

When I ordered it, I was told it should take about 21 days to build and send to me. After 40 or so days I started to become a bit agitated, so I asked them what the delay was. Apparently they were waiting for the shimano Ultegra 6800 compact chain set and had been let down by their supplier. I told them that I could understand it wasn't their fault, but at that stage would struggle to recommend them to anyone else.

To thank me for my patience and understanding they said they'd throw in 2 carbon bottle cages for free; woopy-doo!

After another week with no progress I chased again and was told that the chain sets were due in the following week (this week) and that they would commit to having my bike with me by this Friday.

Yesterday I'd still not had any confirmation of my bike being built, so I chased again. Unfortunately they still hadn't received the Ultegra chainsets and didn't know when they'd be coming in, but they said I would be unlikely to get my bike this week now.

Half an hour later I received an email from their build team, apologising for the situation and offering me an alternative. If I wanted my bike tomorrow they'd fit an FSA SL-K BB386 Evo carbon chainset instead, for no extra cost. From what I've seen, this chainset retails at just under £500, compared to the Ultegra at around £200. I didn't have to think for long!

So, all being well, I should take delivery tomorrow. I'll post some pics and let you know how it goes.

Result! You're getting a whole bike for the cost of the chainset!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Don't belittle the carbon bottle cages.
They are ridiculously expensive for something relatively pointless, in the whole scheme of things.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Absolutely this. Any kind of underwear with padded cycling shorts (and probably non-padded) will result in MASSIVE chafing!!!

Underwear is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not having that.

Having been advised by my GP to keep my plums well tucked up, I have not worn boxers in yonks and until recently never went commando when riding. I've worn slinky M&S or Asda pants without chafing over a couple of years on rides up to 66 miles. There is no right or wrong here.

I've never had bib stuff. Got some lovely Altura shorts lately and gave them a pants free ride. Cooler pods were nice in sunny times. On a wet ride though, they were all over the place and I feared another groping from my GP coming up. So far so good though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Too small for me.

The size!...the blinking size!? Is that all you've got to say? :nono:

Check out those classic lines. The finish of the Titanium. The group set :drool:

Anyway, it's perfect size for me, so there! :p

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, but as MG says, it's too small.

Oh bugger off! Shouldn't you be in France by now???

:jester:

Have a good one down there. How well do you cope with the heat? The riders saying it's steaming at the moment. Today nearly killed me, and that was without being on a bike....going uphill.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh bugger off! Shouldn't you be in France by now???

:jester:

Have a good one down there. How well do you cope with the heat? The riders saying it's steaming at the moment. Today nearly killed me, and that was without being on a bike....going uphill.

I'm flying out on Saturday morning. I can't get more than Monday off work.

As long as I've got plenty of water I love it when it's warm. 39 degrees (today) could be a bit of a wake up call though. Last forecast I saw was rain and 21 in Pau on Sunday. As long as I get the views, that's fine. I'm quite excited now. :)

The obvious question regarding this is tyre pressure.
I had a ride today, gave my tyres the customary squeeze, and thought 'they'll do for one more'.
As I scooted down to Phil's they didn't feel right so I popped home.

Both were below 80 psi, even though they felt ok (enough).
That's over 20% less than I usually have them.

Today I managed to dive into every crater on the road.
Had I not pumped them up, I'm sure one of these road caves would have p********d me or worse.

The last two (both on the same day - one in the shop while the bike was in for a service, and then 40 miles later that evening) the tyres were definitely at high pressure. The previous two I think you are right that pressure could have played a role. Anyway, so far I've managed about 50 miles without a puncture so doesn't seem to be a problem with the tyre. Keeping my fingers crossed!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006

As long as I've got plenty of water I love it when it's warm. 39 degrees (today) could be a bit of a wake up call though. Last forecast I saw was rain and 21 in Pau on Sunday. As long as I get the views, that's fine. I'm quite excited now. :)

We got here Tuesday night. Rode in 39 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday including the Col de Marie Blanque from Escot, which has the toughest final 4 kilometres of any climb I've ever done.

I'm of the same thought and would prefer it warm (although 39 in the shade was pretty extreme). I'm dreading the cold temperatures descending the Tourmalet now though!

Off to register at the village in a bit.
Have a good trip out and good luck with the ride...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Have a great trip, catch up when you get back. Don't mess up your Strava either! (ha ha I know how paranoid you'll be about that anyway…).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We got here Tuesday night. Rode in 39 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday including the Col de Marie Blanque from Escot, which has the toughest final 4 kilometres of any climb I've ever done.

I'm of the same thought and would prefer it warm (although 39 in the shade was pretty extreme). I'm dreading the cold temperatures descending the Tourmalet now though!

Off to register at the village in a bit.
Have a good trip out and good luck with the ride...

Green with envy!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Hmmmm, annoyed I missed out on this now, despite your wait!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here