Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A former England goalkeeper has just joined.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did my first 50 mile plus ride today, have had a most pleasant jaunt up around Ashdown Forest, East Grinstead, Crawley (less nice), Handcross & down the back roads to Burgess Hill. Bit windy at times, but I've climbed up a fair few little hills (by my standards :D ) and didn't get run off the road this time, which is a large bonus.

Had one of those "oh shit" moments on a particularly steep downhill bend somewhere between Warninglid & Bolney, where it was a case of clinging on and praying, but somehow, the bike Gods were smiling on me and I stayed upright against all the odds.

Hooray! :lol:

I think someone is being a little modest in the description of their ride. 52.5miles completed in 3hr:55m with 2546ft of climbing with an average speed of 13.4 mph - top stuff. That average speed would be even higher if you took your brakes off going down hill - top speed 33.6mph, was it a 30 limit? ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think someone is being a little modest in the description of their ride. 52.5miles completed in 3hr:55m with 2546ft of climbing with an average speed of 13.4 mph - top stuff. That average speed would be even higher if you took your brakes off going down hill - top speed 33.6mph, was it a 30 limit? ???

Really? I have nothing to compare with apart from my own rides so I haven't the first clue :)

The annoyance factor today (apart from the wind) was that I managed to pick a few crappy single track back roads between Handcross & home to get back on. Whilst there were plenty of short spiky hills, there were obviously a fair few steep downhills on the other side. After my close encounter with the Mini the other day I think I'm still twitchy about letting it go on the downhill, as envisaging 4x4s hammering towards me around every corner.

Next time I shall endeavour to find a few roads where I'm not worried about going all out. I thought I'd picked up some speed on the descent along the A22 from Ashdown Forest into Forest Row, but I did feel like I was cycling straight into the wind so maybe that didn't help (I know, excuses, excuses :lol:).

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks gives us a few moments and I'll see if I can work out how to join. I'm using runtastic for My rides not sure if I can load these on to Strava or for My ride tomorrow I need to start using Strava ?

Not sure, this site syncs most but yours doesn't seem to be there -

https://tapiriik.com

If you can get the get files then you can add them to Strava.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? I have nothing to compare with apart from my own rides so I haven't the first clue :)

The annoyance factor today (apart from the wind) was that I managed to pick a few crappy single track back roads between Handcross & home to get back on. Whilst there were plenty of short spiky hills, there were obviously a fair few steep downhills on the other side. After my close encounter with the Mini the other day I think I'm still twitchy about letting it go on the downhill, as envisaging 4x4s hammering towards me around every corner.

Next time I shall endeavour to find a few roads where I'm not worried about going all out. I thought I'd picked up some speed on the descent along the A22 from Ashdown Forest into Forest Row, but I did feel like I was cycling straight into the wind so maybe that didn't help (I know, excuses, excuses :lol:).

Your rides are comparable with others on the North Stand Geeks on strava. You can soon see far people are going, how much elevation their climbing and how fast they're doing it. With that amount of climbing over that distance, it was I pretty good speed I thought. Your 3rd on this weeks leader board already!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just joined Northstand geeks group on Strava, so when I do a ride using Strava will these automatically load to the group ? I normally use runtastic.

Yes, if you switch your strava on at the start of your ride, record it then upload it, it will automatically be seen within the NSgeeks group.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just joined Northstand geeks group on Strava, so when I do a ride using Strava will these automatically load to the group ? I normally use runtastic.
I'm not entirely sure that we are talking about the same set up, and I'm unsure what runtastic is.

I have a Garmin 705 computer.
After the ride I connect it to my computer and click 'upload' in the top right hand corner.
From there the ride(s) stored on the garmin appear for description editing etc.
Click 'save' and bingo the ride is logged on Strava and will automatically appear on my activities, the 'home' page of those following me and geeks.

(Spot the technophobe)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Your rides are comparable with others on the North Stand Geeks on strava. You can soon see far people are going, how much elevation their climbing and how fast they're doing it. With that amount of climbing over that distance, it was I pretty good speed I thought. Your 3rd on this weeks leader board already!

Yes. We can all see each others rides.

Edit: beaten to it!

Thanks will all the help not that good with all this stuff, I'll leave you in peace and get on with a ride tomorrow and go from there. :D

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION], that's a great ride. With your marathon running, I knew you'd have the base fitness to step up more quickly than others. I have to head out that way, lovely area.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], my standard climbing gear is granny ring + 3rd lowest rear but I'm also using middle ring + 3rd lowest on rear for smaller hills. Rarely use 2 lowest rear gears at all now. Although I used the total granny combo all the way up a nasty climb on Sunday blowing like funk all the way.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], fair play on that Beacon time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm not entirely sure that we are talking about the same set up, and I'm unsure what runtastic is.

I have a Garmin 705 computer.
After the ride I connect it to my computer and click 'upload' in the top right hand corner.
From there the ride(s) stored on the garmin appear for description editing etc.
Click 'save' and bingo the ride is logged on Strava and will automatically appear on my activities, the 'home' page of those following me and geeks.

(Spot the technophobe)

Thanks stat joined and downloaded Strava now to iphone so will give it a go and download ride tomorrow. Promise you won't laugh at My times :D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I would also like to get on strava but am still in the dark ages, any help with affordable / value recommendations for phone and using the app appreciated

For phone apps, I used to use Endomondo, but now use Sportstracker which is much better. This is on an old Nokia N8 phone. I suppose 'i' thingies and android phones have a dedicated Strava app, but I'm not certain on that. Will have to catch up sometime as it never happened in the end. I must admit I haven't got out as much as I'd originally hoped but I'm still trying to get a few rides in here and there.

Who's swiped my old Fat Lampre avatar?

I can confirm that he's used that avatar for a long time elsewhere. I think it's a fairly popular one, and not surprisingly so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can confirm that he's used that avatar for a long time elsewhere. I think it's a fairly popular one, and not surprisingly so.
Yeah I was having a bit of a leg pull, although the question still stand, who is it?

Being an easily confused chap, I did have a moment of 'hang on that's me' :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here