Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worlds quickest straw poll.

I'm about to list jnr's Colnago on ebay.

I'm stuck on the starting price.

£0 isn't an option.
But I don't want to scare people off, with say £150, bearing in mind, in an ideal world it might just creep over £200.
Does £125 have enough 'come and get me' to keep the price up, or do you think I'm inviting someone to bid£126 and that'll be the end of that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't use trains much beyond London. I get off at London Bridge when the train goes through London Bridge. I LOVE it around London Bridge.

Don't you think that Flitwick sounds like it should be in Lancashire? Near Blackpool somewhere?

And [MENTION=12917]Bedsex[/MENTION], that's a great reason for a quite superb username.

It does sound quite northern, I agree.

Though if it was northern, it would be pronounced as it's spelled. As it is, it's pronounced Flittick.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Worlds quickest straw poll.

I'm about to list jnr's Colnago on ebay.

I'm stuck on the starting price.

£0 isn't an option.
But I don't want to scare people off, with say £150, bearing in mind, in an ideal world it might just creep over £200.
Does £125 have enough 'come and get me' to keep the price up, or do you think I'm inviting someone to bid£126 and that'll be the end of that.

What did you pay for it? What would a new one cost?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sagan's descending today put the willies up me. 88kph. Then over the traffic calming. Poor Cav yesterday too.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It does sound quite northern, I agree.

Though if it was northern, it would be pronounced as it's spelled. As it is, it's pronounced Flittick.

That's cos it is quite northern really, I do consider myself a northerner now, although it's not quite Lancashire!

And yes, Edna you are correct, the w is silent - I've always fancied setting up a football team called the Flitwick Anchors and then when telling people the team name, proudly saying there is a silent w.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Wiggins - ceased to be a top level cyclist when he crossed the line at the 2012 Olympics.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's that for him...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Wiggins - ceased to be a top level cyclist when he crossed the line at the 2012 Olympics.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's that for him...

I think california showed he's still top level but he's inherently a bit lazy and poorly motivated. You can see how he dropped off in suisse once he knew the tdf was off.

I think he's done with sky and it's possible they'll view him as an unwanted influence in the track squad too.

If he does go to Greenedge, I wonder how they'll manage him. He's not a tour contender now Froome and contador are ripping it up and he won't put the effort in to get 8th place.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think california showed he's still top level but he's inherently a bit lazy and poorly motivated. You can see how he dropped off in suisse once he knew the tdf was off.

I think he's done with sky and it's possible they'll view him as an unwanted influence in the track squad too.

If he does go to Greenedge, I wonder how they'll manage him. He's not a tour contender now Froome and contador are ripping it up and he won't put the effort in to get 8th place.

I fear that Brad raised his game for the Tour of California to get his name in the frame for the TdF but then effectively talked himself out of the Sky Team. The injury will now be a convenient excuse to 'rest' him.

I guess a couple of other teams would take a punt on him but he would expect status and a big money deal, which might make him too expensive, especially if he isn't fully motivated.

It would be a great pity if his career fizzles out because he is seen as more of a problem than an asset - rather than ending on a high, which someone of his calibre really should.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think one thing that separates Wiggins et al from the herd, is that he's not going to put anything down to luck, and even if he does it'll be 'you make your own luck'.

Even from when he was racing with Indurain's Lungs the amount of completely separate events that had to happen and converge on July 2012 is pure luck.

World Class programme.
Dave Brailsford.
Steve Peters.
The lottery.
Manchester Velodrome.
Robert Murdoch & Team Sky, what if he liked Rugby?
The awarding of London, 4 years sooner or later and it's not happening.
Doping busts.
Le Tour route, that was the only tour in Wiggins pro career he could have won.
Right through to the national 'obsession' with cycling.
That you can say was made by the others but not if England soccerballists had spent the last 6 years being Spain.

But Wiggins now, isn't going to say 'f*** me I was lucky all that met up in July 2012'.
Which is why he has all the titsy attitude now.

He should ride the tour, but he should be able to see it's not his tour, because he's not as good/lucky this time as at least 3 other riders, maybe even more.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Been given some love2shop vouchers, so am having a little splurge on bits I need (bibshorts and cycling shoes). Limitation is they have to come from Halfords.

Anyone got any experience of adidas cycling gear? These are half price:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_941504_langId_-1_categoryId_228861#tab3

With regard to Wiggins, there are plenty of teams out there that haven't won the tour - I recon someone will take him on hoping that he'll get them into the top 10 - something they can then build on in future years. As a former tour winner, Wiggins must have a fairly large commercial appeal that can be used to offset his wages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Been given some love2shop vouchers, so am having a little splurge on bits I need (bibshorts and cycling shoes). Limitation is they have to come from Halfords.

Anyone got any experience of adidas cycling gear? These are half price:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_941504_langId_-1_categoryId_228861#tab3

With regard to Wiggins, there are plenty of teams out there that haven't won the tour - I recon someone will take him on hoping that he'll get them into the top 10 - something they can then build on in future years. As a former tour winner, Wiggins must have a fairly large commercial appeal that can be used to offset his wages.
At what cost though?
Parachuting Wiggins into a young dynamic team such as GreenEdge could blow the whole project out of the water.
With all the love I have for Wiggins even I can't turn a blind eye to the destructive side of his attitude, moods, and personality.

Adidas is good enough for Sky.
My Adidas winter bibs are a cracking bit of kit.
Someone here has really big feet, is it you?
If not, when buying shoes you'll need a good size bigger than your usual footwear.
Feet are prone to swell while cycling, and any restriction will cause serve discomfort.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At what cost though?
Parachuting Wiggins into a young dynamic team such as GreenEdge could blow the whole project out of the water.
With all the love I have for Wiggins even I can't turn a blind eye to the destructive side of his attitude, moods, and personality.

Fair point - I am reading his autobiography at the moment, and he certainly seems to acknowledge that he has a destructive side to his personality.

Adidas is good enough for Sky.
My Adidas winter bibs are a cracking bit of kit.
Someone here has really big feet, is it you?
If not, when buying shoes you'll need a good size bigger than your usual footwear.
Feet are prone to swell while cycling, and any restriction will cause serve discomfort.

Thanks - yes its me with the big feet - am looking one size up. I won't buy unless they feel right - there is plenty of other stuff I can spend money on at Halfords. Whilst I have been tiathlon training, I have been riding in running shoes with toe clips. The key is that I need to spend the vouchers fast - the other half already has her eye on them!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I've just treated myself to some latex inner tubes and some 25mm tyres (Conti GP4000S II). All fitted (in the comfort of my own home) in under 40 minutes. Fortunately I've never had the pleasure of an on the road inner tube replacement or repair, so I've not had much practice to improve upon my times.

Looking forward to seeing whether I notice an improvement in the ride comfort, and of course lower rolling resistance! :)

I probably should have come on here first to seek re-assurance in my tyre choice.

I'm now debating whether to stick my aero bars on for tomorrow's triathlon. I've only tried them once before and wasn't very confident when using them.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
At what cost though?

If Sir Bradley went to OGE they would bring the Aussie larrikin out in him. I think he'd be a lot more relaxed with that teams personalities about him.

Not that I'd really want him there other than to possibly mentor the Yates brothers for a season or two.

Personally I'd rather we went after someone like Bauke Mollema if Belkin are a chance of going tits up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just treated myself to some latex inner tubes and some 25mm tyres (Conti GP4000S II). All fitted (in the comfort of my own home) in under 40 minutes. Fortunately I've never had the pleasure of an on the road inner tube replacement or repair, so I've not had much practice to improve upon my times.

Looking forward to seeing whether I notice an improvement in the ride comfort, and of course lower rolling resistance! :)

I probably should have come on here first to seek re-assurance in my tyre choice.

I'm now debating whether to stick my aero bars on for tomorrow's triathlon. I've only tried them once before and wasn't very confident when using them.
I take it [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] is on holiday.

That word has cropped up a couple of times recently.
Someone's head will roll.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Few bits to address!

I think one thing that separates Wiggins et al from the herd, is that he's not going to put anything down to luck, and even if he does it'll be 'you make your own luck'.

Even from when he was racing with Indurain's Lungs the amount of completely separate events that had to happen and converge on July 2012 is pure luck.

World Class programme.
Dave Brailsford.
Steve Peters.
The lottery.
Manchester Velodrome.
Robert Murdoch & Team Sky, what if he liked Rugby?
The awarding of London, 4 years sooner or later and it's not happening.
Doping busts.
Le Tour route, that was the only tour in Wiggins pro career he could have won.
Right through to the national 'obsession' with cycling.
That you can say was made by the others but not if England soccerballists had spent the last 6 years being Spain.

But Wiggins now, isn't going to say 'f*** me I was lucky all that met up in July 2012'.
Which is why he has all the titsy attitude now.

He should ride the tour, but he should be able to see it's not his tour, because he's not as good/lucky this time as at least 3 other riders, maybe even more.

Exactly right. But this is not unique to Wiggins - it is well known that people in power or with wealth over-estimate their own part in that and how much of it is their own doing. Without this attitude, people suffer from "imposter syndrome" and too much self doubt creeps in.

Interesting combination. Latex tubes do roll slightly better but will need pumping up every time you ride - I'm not sure you'll feel the benefit when pairing them with 25mm tyres but GP4000S are nice and should feel pretty good. There is a lot of 25mm v 23mm debate but its probably not the limiting factor in how fast you go!

Aero bars will make a big difference for a Tri, the aerodynamic benefits are massive but you'll need to spend some time setting them up and getting used to them.

If Sir Bradley went to OGE they would bring the Aussie larrikin out in him. I think he'd be a lot more relaxed with that teams personalities about him.

Not that I'd really want him there other than to possibly mentor the Yates brothers for a season or two.

Personally I'd rather we went after someone like Bauke Mollema if Belkin are a chance of going tits up.

Don't think Brad does mentoring, he's far too self-absorbed.

I take it [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] is on holiday.

That word has cropped up a couple of times recently.
Someone's head will roll.

He's probably noted it and booked an early flight home to come and sort out this kind of insolence.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Never tried getting into here before but will give it a bash ... need some help.

Know bugger all about cycling but have now bought 2 bikes on recommendation from NSC - both for Mrs!!

Last year I got her a Halcyon Aquilla, very nice but her dodgy knee doesn't stand up well so a few weeks ago I sold it on ebay (for the same price as I paid!) and then went out and got her an electric "thing". She's over the moon and now even talking about doing some commuting. Now our jaunts, which were 2-3 miles have become 8-10 and I need something better than my current wreck.

Got it into my head that I want 2nd hand as I'll (eventually) find a good deal (unwanted pres, failed attempt at exercise etc) and I'm not looking for anything to do any kind of racing or long distance (7-10 miles would likely be it)

I think a budget of £300 will do the trick so none are for the purist but maybe others have been in the same boat recently and can save me a bit of effort! Having done a bit of research I've come up with these. Any views on these or if I should eliminate 1 or more or add others? I recognise it can be a pretty endless list but thought I'd give it a go just in case

B'Twin Triban 5
Scott Speedster 60
Carrera TdF Ltd
Felt F95
Fuji 25
Boardman Road Sport

So this evening hasn't quite gone to plan... thought I'd take advantage of the great weather to get a decent 35 miles in. Got about 20 miles in, the rolling countryside of north Essex and feel my hamstring tighten a bit. Make it through Saffron Waldon and on the hill on the way out my hamstring seizes up completely. End of my evening, and I'm hoping it's just a bit a stretch due to the lack of hills normal route rather anything serious.

On the up side, I'm now sat in a beer garden in Saffron Walden, beer in hand, waiting for the Mrs to pick me up. So it's not all bad!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here