[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'll put a few miles in tomorrow. Maybe not too many after a late night.

Refreshing to see those riders funked as they crossed the finish line today. Incredible fitness.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll put a few miles in tomorrow. Maybe not too many after a late night.

Refreshing to see those riders funked as they crossed the finish line today. Incredible fitness.

Everyone totally cooked today it seems as they crossed the line, or else it ramps really sharply 'literally' on the finish line :lol:

Really pleased for Westra after missing out yesterday. Epic catch, and the look on the Katusha faces as he caught them was priceless. They had nothing left in the tank to respond, which is refreshing to see.

Good of Bert and Froome to make it well and truly game on for tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A strong showing so far today from Team Geek, so far clocking up 242 miles on the roads of Lesser Sussex, West Sussex, and god forbid Hampshire.

Alternatively:-

Brighton to South Manchester.
or
Brighton to the outskirts of Brussels.
(we could really do with an 'extra' 15 miles).

Collectively, so far, Team Geek has also climbed up to Chandrakhani pass in the Himalayas, at 12,800 Feet.

I'd like to say I'll put in a late ride tomorrow, but with the World Cup on that isn't going to happen.

May have to map the ride with the kids again to get the figures up. Do ice creams get us bonus miles? :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yes and Cycle Sport magazine 2014 Tour de France issue has now been purchased.

3 weeks of reading and we're there people.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A strong showing so far today from Team Geek, so far clocking up 242 miles on the roads of Lesser Sussex, West Sussex, and god forbid Hampshire.

Alternatively:-

Brighton to South Manchester.
or
Brighton to the outskirts of Brussels.
(we could really do with an 'extra' 15 miles).

Collectively, so far, Team Geek has also climbed up to Chandrakhani pass in the Himalayas, at 12,800 Feet.

I'd like to say I'll put in a late ride tomorrow, but with the World Cup on that isn't going to happen.

May have to map the ride with the kids again to get the figures up. Do ice creams get us bonus miles? :)

Well with that added to Strava, Team Geek is now heading towards Liverpool or for a more continental feel, we're about to invade Germany!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for that 10. My lad is feeding his xbox addiction, so that saved me causing a bust up. Poor Bertie snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well that was epic racing!

Got to admire the way Bert leaves Froome and goes solo for 20 odd k to try to hang onto Yellow. Fair play to Nibs for giving it a go too. Adam Yates as promising as ever as well.

Chapeau Talansky for a great win in a hard fought exciting race. Not only this stage, but the whole race has been superb!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well that was epic racing!

Got to admire the way Bert leaves Froome and goes solo for 20 odd k to try to hang onto Yellow. Fair play to Nibs for giving it a go too. Adam Yates as promising as ever as well.

Chapeau Talansky for a great win in a hard fought exciting race. Not only this stage, but the whole race has been superb!

Great race, and fantastic to see Talansky edge it. His reaction was brilliant.

I wonder how much of Froome's decline in this race is down to his fall? I suspect most of it. If I fell like he did I wouldn't get out of bed for a week, let alone get up and finish the race.

Cyclists really are the toughest of all sportsmen.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great race, and fantastic to see Talansky edge it. His reaction was brilliant.

I wonder how much of Froome's decline in this race is down to his fall? I suspect most of it. If I fell like he did I wouldn't get out of bed for a week, let alone get up and finish the race.

Cyclists really are the toughest of all sportsmen.

Well at least they waited for him when he took the tumble, so no time lost directly because of the crash. I've only seen his elbow patched up (not read any race reports or anything) but you're probably right, he must be feeling the aches and pains from that fall and that hasn't helped him. I was still surprised to see him blow up like this yesterday and today.

What's most interesting to me is how hard Bert was prepared to go today to try and claw back the time Talansky and that strong group were putting into him. I thought he would have just sat with Froome, once he didn't go when Nibs went, and ridden away from him near the end for the psychological bonus points so to speak, rather than go solo like a man possessed for 20kms. I suppose that's one of the good characteristics about Contador though - never knows when a race is over and never happy to just settle on podium spots or Top Tens.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well at least they waited for him when he took the tumble, so no time lost directly because of the crash. I've only seen his elbow patched up (not read any race reports or anything) but you're probably right, he must be feeling the aches and pains from that fall and that hasn't helped him. I was still surprised to see him blow up like this yesterday and today.

What's most interesting to me is how hard Bert was prepared to go today to try and claw back the time Talansky and that strong group were putting into him. I thought he would have just sat with Froome, once he didn't go when Nibs went, and ridden away from him near the end for the psychological bonus points so to speak, rather than go solo like a man possessed for 20kms. I suppose that's one of the good characteristics about Contador though - never knows when a race is over and never happy to just settle on podium spots or Top Tens.

Yep, Contador is certainly a fighter. Great to watch, and the Tour will be fantastic with him in this form.

Carlton K said that there was a gaping hole in Froome's elbow, down to the bone. I'd have said "Stuff your Dauphine."

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, Contador is certainly a fighter. Great to watch, and the Tour will be fantastic with him in this form.

Carlton K said that there was a gaping hole in Froome's elbow, down to the bone. I'd have said "Stuff your Dauphine."

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

What, makes you sick just thinking about Carlton Kirby?

Me too :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol:

Actually, Carlton has grown on me this year.

Any idea whether David Harmon has completely called it a day?

Sorry, not too clued up on who's who to be honest on the commentary side. I know who I like and who I don't from the voices but can't always put a name to all of those voices. I'm even quite happy to watch continental coverage if need be and just pick out what I can from the language.

I only know for certain who Carlton Kirby is because I find him pretty irritating. Sometimes funny, but most times just over the top annoying and often ill informed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kirby wouldn't be half as bad if he didn't insist on everything being so god damn funny, irrespective as to just how unfunny it is.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Strava is effing me off.

This morning, I decided to work a bit harder as I was doing a shorter ride and was pleased, as it was a milestone for me, to get an average speed of 16.0 on the garminge2 when I stopped. Strava records it as 15.8.

Two us did the L2B, one cycling to the start from bandit territory. Save for that, same route. One did 4,000ft climbing, the Croydon escaper 2,900.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Check out Strava chaps, [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] is at it again.

Everything else is just embarrassing :down: :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Strava is effing me off.

This morning, I decided to work a bit harder as I was doing a shorter ride and was pleased, as it was a milestone for me, to get an average speed of 16.0 on the garminge2 when I stopped. Strava records it as 15.8.

Two us did the L2B, one cycling to the start from bandit territory. Save for that, same route. One did 4,000ft climbing, the Croydon escaper 2,900.

Likewise, lost 0.4mph today between garmin and Strava.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports