Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
None of us had a team for the WWC today.

:facepalm:

Is the fantasy stuff dying on its arse? Not much talk about it on here.

The mini's only do purist and barely mention it these days. Mini (f) has taken to only doing GT's too it seems.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, I didn't even bother with a giro team.

That's a shame, was always a good game.

I'm enjoying not doing it anymore though to be honest.

Edit: Btw, mini (f) has Weening in her team. Tells me she's gone to the top of the NSC purist league. :)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff 1066, top tipage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great stuff 1066, top tipage.

Thanks SB :thumbsup: Glad I cracked now and topped up the PP account for it last night. £50 winnings as opposed to nearly a tenner less had I went with WH.

The season is back in profit and still have two bets riding in Majka & Pozzo. Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great shot from the Tour of California finish line:-

Bn8GWHiCMAAxwyK.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks SB :thumbsup: Glad I cracked now and topped up the PP account for it last night. £50 winnings as opposed to nearly a tenner less had I went with WH.

The season is back in profit and still have two bets riding in Majka & Pozzo. Happy days.
I'm pleased Pozzo showed how 'easy' it is to pick up a chunk of time.

Quintana is clearly going to do feck all until the last 2 climbs.
Evans is going to need his TT to be very quick.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm pleased Pozzo showed how 'easy' it is to pick up a chunk of time.

Quintana is clearly going to do feck all until the last 2 climbs.
Evans is going to need his TT to be very quick.

Agreed. Especially as a lot of people seem to be labouring under the illusion that Evans is by far and away the best TT'er of the GC here and will put a lot of time into his main rivals. Ordinarily so maybe, but I don't think they've checked out the parcours well enough and realise how not so crap Quintana and Pozzo actually are at these type of TT's.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's a shame, was always a good game.

I'm enjoying not doing it anymore though to be honest.

Edit: Btw, mini (f) has Weening in her team. Tells me she's gone to the top of the NSC purist league. :)

I agree, it was fun while it lasted but I am really enjoying watching the cycling with nothing but rider preference to worry about. A great weekend at the Giro, and I'm loving the ToC too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree, it was fun while it lasted but I am really enjoying watching the cycling with nothing but rider preference to worry about. A great weekend at the Giro, and I'm loving the ToC too.

Mind you, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have Pantani and the fantasy game to thank for getting me so heavily into cycling watching. For years I was strictly a once a year TdF man as I didn't really realise there was a viewing option outside of that (thanks to the internet). I knew vaguely about other races throughout the season but never moved beyond my annual TdF fix and the sadness I'd feel for a while after until the following years edition. Now I'm loving watching so many great races throughout the season and learning all the time. It's only fair I point out where that happy scenario started out from.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Mind you, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have Pantani and the fantasy game to thank for getting me so heavily into cycling watching. For years I was strictly a once a year TdF man as I didn't really realise there was a viewing option outside of that (thanks to the internet). I knew vaguely about other races throughout the season but never moved beyond my annual TdF fix and the sadness I'd feel for a while after until the following years edition. Now I'm loving watching so many great races throughout the season and learning all the time. It's only fair I point out where that happy scenario started out from.

Yup, [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] is on the list the wife wants to thank for getting me into all this. Its a real shame the league has dropped off this season.

I've got next week off with permission to do a lot of riding. Forecast is shite though. Typical.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fantasy does get a bit too full on and too much of a work commitment. Probably a little less work and a bit more fun is a fake money punting comp over a season. Simply give everyone 20 pound per main event and let people put a 5er on the GC,Mountains, Sprint and young rider results. Most money at the end wins.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Fantasy does get a bit too full on and too much of a work commitment. Probably a little less work and a bit more fun is a fake money punting comp over a season. Simply give everyone 20 pound per main event and let people put a 5er on the GC,Mountains, Sprint and young rider results. Most money at the end wins.

I like the sound of that! There's probably an online service for sweepstakes where we could pay a quid or something.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I was thinking of looking in to the fantasy comps were you just pick a squad for the season for next year. It is a lot of work doing transfers everyday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evans is 37. For his age he's probably riding better than most of his opposition will be at the age he is now. He can't TT now like he used to.
Evans would seem to the very incarnation of consistency.
But unfortunately it's been impossible for him to stand on the top step because he's either been doped out of it or been done by the terrain.
Nobody ever designed a course for Cadel to win, a la Sir Bradley of Wigginshire.

I was pleased for him when he won the World's, it certainly seemed to release some pressure.
He certainly deserved his 2011 Tour.

I can't help thinking this sentiment won't last for 2 more weeks.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Evans would seem to the very incarnation of consistency.
But unfortunately it's been impossible for him to stand on the top step because he's either been doped out of it or been done by the terrain.
Nobody ever designed a course for Cadel to win, a la Sir Bradley of Wigginshire.

I was pleased for him when he won the World's, it certainly seemed to release some pressure.
He certainly deserved his 2011 Tour.

I can't help thinking this sentiment won't last for 2 more weeks.

I have to credit him with (likely) being clean all these years. I just hate his whining and blaming everyone else for his failings - wegelius gives him a right slagging in his book as well.

Good to see Brad motivated again, should be one hell of a domestique for froome - there'll be some crazy pace set on those tour climbs. Could keep the attacks minimal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to credit him with (likely) being clean all these years. I just hate his whining and blaming everyone else for his failings - wegelius gives him a right slagging in his book as well.

Good to see Brad motivated again, should be one hell of a domestique for froome - there'll be some crazy pace set on those tour climbs. Could keep the attacks minimal.
Loved CE taking a nice bottle of wine to a restaurant then not opening it and taking it home again!!.
As said Evans is likeable now, but it won't last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here